Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Hope this isn't a repost but WTF, I hope someone shoots that kid.

http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/bl...gets-off-because-his-rich-parents-papered-him

A rich teenager in Texas who killed four people while driving under the influence of drugs and drink got a slap on the wrist after his lawyers argued he was the victim of “affluenza.”

Ethan Couch received 10 years probation — rather than the possible 20-year jail term he faced as a result of his irresponsible actions.

Click to enlarge National Post Graphics

His lawyers said the 16-year-old had been so spoiled by his doting and affluent parents he had no idea of the consequence of his actions or the concept of taking responsibility for what he did.

Dr. G. Dick Miller, a psychologist hired by the defence said Couch was never disciplined, abused alcohol and had “freedoms no young person should have,” including being allowed to drive when he was 13.

“The teen never learned to say that you’re sorry if you hurt someone,” Dr. Miller added, according to a report in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “If you hurt someone, you sent him money.”

Couch was a victim of “affluenza,” a rich-kid syndrome that led him to believe money solved everything.

The sentence can only confirm the young man’s sense of entitlement. His parents will pay US$450,000 to send him for mandatory therapy — money far beyond the capacity of most criminal defendants.

The victims’ families were stunned by the decision of State District Judge Jean Boyd.

Reaction score
I don't get the outrage here. Kid was 16, sentenced as a juvenile... and this isn't a ridiculous sentence. 10 years of probation isn't some joke. If he gets in trouble again (which he will, if he's as bad a kid as everyone thinks he is), then he goes to prison. I've seen similar cases end this way.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Anyone else would be in prison getting ass raped, no matter how old they are.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
[video=youtube;ddeT6CdxY2E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddeT6CdxY2E[/video]

Reaction score
Big difference between intentionally assaulting someone and killing someone versus negligently killing someone.

Reaction score
I don't get the outrage here. Kid was 16, sentenced as a juvenile... and this isn't a ridiculous sentence. 10 years of probation isn't some joke. If he gets in trouble again (which he will, if he's as bad a kid as everyone thinks he is), then he goes to prison. I've seen similar cases end this way.
I think the outrage is that they used "affluenza" as his defense...he was rich and didn't know any better.

I agree that the punishment isn't really all that off considering it was an accident, but the rationale was retarded.

Reaction score
Yeah the affluenza thing is ridiculous... but some criminal defense lawyers will do anything to try to get their client the best sentence that they can. I don't know how the judge took that either. If I were the judge, that wouldn't have much effect on my sentence, or if anything, it may make it more harsh. I think people hear the sentence, think it's too light, and assume that argument carried weight, when really there's no way to know if it did or didn't.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
There is a reason I did not post this as a topic. Too many unknowns. Jumping to conclusions etc. You understand.

Reaction score
Has anyone else gotten their affluenza shot?

I don't feel good about purposely injecting affluenza into my body. Doesn't make sense.

Top Bottom