cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Jason Garrett should take the job.

I honestly think he'd be a decent college HC. No Jerry and hire an Offensive Coordinator and he might just be semi-average.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Not surprised.
Even after the defensive change Coach looked like he was biting on tinfoil.

Reaction score
This Saban stuff sounds fairly well-sourced...

Knowing full well that any numbers I throw out will aid and abet the enemy, I will say the minimum. Again, full disclosure, I'm reporting a story that seems to be taking on a life of it's own but I feel it's important to post now so this website is credited for the work. To that end, I'll also be posting my real identity tomorrow and I will email all subsequent stories to the various media outlets including but not limited to ESPN, CBS Sports, etc.

Here's what I got.

In talking to various sources plugged into the Alabama and Texas sides, it seems Nick Saban is roughly $20 million in the hole due to investments with LSU and Alabama alums. These investments are predominantly in the commercial real estate space. For his trouble, Nick Saban is not a happy camper with these two alumni bases and has a hole in his retirement plan that Mark Ingram could run through. Additionally, I'm told Texas and the Longhorn Foundation have "passed the hat" to provide a dollar amount up front that nearly makes Nick Saban whole after these defunct investments. Call it the Lamarr Houston/Roy Miller investment strategy. The mechanism used to fund this "bonus" will be off the books in order to make the total compensation package more politically palatable when it's officially announced. Texas does not want to be perceived as the Yankees and again, I don't want to help negotiations with enemy.

As far as conventional compensation, look for the number to be right around eight million a year for six years with a two-year option. This structure makes it more acceptable to the BOR and the academics in the school. Don't tell them how much the athletic department contributes to the general fund because they won't listen. Just know that the football men understand how the perception game is played.

Trust me, I understand that there's always a counter offer in these deals, but I'm told that the Bama president does not want to get in a bidding war against Texas because she doesn't want it to seem like Bama is a semi-pro team. Again, this is the academic's mindset at work. She's, after all, Bill Powers' peer or at least is attempting to be. Add this item to the fact that Bama's Athletic Director Bill Battle has gotten sideways with Saban, and it doesn't bode well for the Tide. One final piece is Chancellor Witt.

Dr. Witt is the only ally that Saban has at the administrative level at Bama and he happens to be a Texas guy. Yes, Dr. Witt has a soft spot in his heart for Texas, and has told folks close to the Texas AD that he thinks Saban is headed to Austin.

If Saban is announced as the Texas head football coach in the next few days, fans will be in line to enjoy an historic change in culture and football operations in general.

Like you, I will enjoy the process.

In other words, I will look forward to Nick Saban's process.

http://insidetexas.com/news/story.php?article=4715

Reaction score
http://thebiglead.com/2013/12/10/nick-saban-will-be-next-texas-head-coach-per-fort-worth-star-telegram-report/

Nick Saban Will Be Next Texas Head Coach, Per Fort Worth Star Telegram Report [UPDATE]

This does not appear to be a drill. Stefan Stevenson, the TCU beat reporter for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, citing a “source close to the Texas executive council of regents” is reporting that Nick Saban will be the next coach at Texas. This follows the Orangebloods.com report earlier in the day that Mack Brown will step down as head coach.

Stefan Stevenson @FollowtheFrogs
Source close to Texas executive council of regents says Nick Saban will be next Longhorns coach.

[UPDATE: Stevenson, after a long silence, has chimed in again. There's some backpedaling. How does he go from "will be" to "very confident?"]

If I had more information to write a story I would have. Source was very confident. I'll believe it when I see it.

I have no vested interest in Texas' next coach. Just reporting what a reputable source is claiming. No linked story, not fishing for hits.
7:49 PM - 10 Dec 2013

It’s not clear how this plays out, but, Nick Saban is about to be making stupid money, even more than he already was. Hire Jimmy Sexton as your agent, folks. Buckle up and be safe out there.

Reaction score
@FollowtheFrogs
Source close to Texas executive council of regents says Longhorns interested in bringing back Michael Huff.

:blowhard

I'll believe all this when I see it. The rumors are all over the place at this point.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Coaching Changes Daily: Bama wants to keep Saban highest-paid
December 10, 2013 4:39 pm ET

Nick Saban -- reported salary of $5.62 million -- might be in line for a raise at Alabama. (USATSI)

Alabama approached Nick Saban's camp before the Auburn game last month, interested in reworking his contract, a well-placed University of Alabama official with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com.

The approach was not in response to speculation about Saban's rumored interest in the Texas job, speculation that was re-ignited amid Tuesday's reports suggesting the end is near for Mack Brown in Austin. According to the source, Alabama is prepared to keep Saban as the country's highest-paid coach.

"He's been at the top of the market and we want to keep it that way," the source said.

That might require a raise from his reported salary of $5.62 million, if Texas pursues the coach with three national titles in five seasons.

In April, the Alabama board of trustees enhanced Saban's bonus structure to accommodate next year's college football playoff. Saban makes $200,000 for reaching the semifinal, $300,000 for reaching the championship game and $400,000 for winning the title game. Saban's base pay remained relatively intact, however, a move made to help bolster the pay of assistant coaches.

Saban to Texas is the story that won't die, persisting for the past month despite several denials from Saban himself. Saban's wife, Terry, told the Wall Street Journal the family is staying in Tuscaloosa.

Reaction score
Yeah, allegedly Saban has had a contract extension from Alabama sitting on his desk since Friday... and he has yet to respond to it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I still don't think he is leaving, but if he does it probably means he knows some NCAA stuff is about to pop up on him in Alabama.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin, Jim Harbaugh reported as possible Texas candidates

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

December 11, 2013 12:23 am ET

Mack Brown's apparent departure is causing a ripple effect in the NFL rumor mill. Mack Brown's apparent departure is causing a ripple effect in the NFL rumor mill. (USATSI)

So the Texas job isn't even technically open yet, but CBSSports.com's Bruce Feldman reports that Mack Brown is on his way out, though the Longhorns administration is currently dealing with "a very messy situation." It's probably not going to get any easier going forward with the insane amount of rumors floating about the next possible coach.

To wit: Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com, who initially reported Brown was out and has always been a reliable source when it comes to Texas information, went on Fox Sports Live and reported that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh are possible candidates for the job.

"I'm sure Texas hopes there's a chance there. I think there's no question Texas is going to aim high here. I've been told they're going to aim for a coach that's won a national championship or a Super Bowl. And I think Nick Saban's at the top of the list. I think Urban Meyer would probably be second. I've heard maybe Mike Tomlin could be approached in this. I think you have to look at guys like David Shaw -- even though he hasn't won a national title -- and Jim Harbaugh. Both had success at Stanford and school president Bill Powers is a Cal graduate and wants Texas to be seen in the same light as Cal and Stanford." I've also heard the job is Jason Garrett's if he wants it. He's been doing an excellent job in the NFL and Texas would probably be able to pay a lot more than Jerry Jones.

Texas is an awesome job. You have your own network and you're handed like six free wins a year just based on sheer talent level and schedule. There's an incredibly fertile recruiting area around the school and there's no income tax.

But there are only 32 NFL jobs. Guys who are having success like Tomlin (despite the Steelers recent struggles he has a Super Bowl win and a pair of AFC championships) and Harbaugh aren't bolting the NFL for a college football gig. You could argue that the Texas job is better than some NFL jobs (maybe, say, the Texans?). That's fine. But the 49ers and Steelers jobs don't open up very often. The Steelers have had three head coaches since 1969. That's a weekend for Dan Snyder.

You can never say never when it comes to coaching jobs and it comes to money. Like I said, Brown's been pretty spot on with Texans info. But that pair of names seems like a stretch.

On the bright side, we're definitely going to get press conference questions for Tomlin and Harbaugh about this rumor.

Reaction score
:suicide
I've also heard the job is Jason Garrett's if he wants it. He's been doing an excellent job in the NFL and Texas would probably be able to pay a lot more than Jerry Jones.

Fess up David. You added that in there didn't you?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
LOL

Garrett might actually be better at college coaching. As good a con man as he is, he might be a decent recruiter.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's on Yahoo now. Reports are he will take the job.

By The Sports Xchange15 hours agoThe SportsXchange

Report: Brown out by week's end; Alabama offers extension to Saban

Alabama coach Nick Saban will replace Mack Brown at Texas and become the Longhorns' next head coach, a reporter from the Fort Worth Telegram posted on Twitter.

"Source close to Texas executive council of regents says Nick Saban will be next Longhorns coach," tweeted Stefan Stevenson, the TCU beat reporter for the Telegram.

However, there are conflicting reports. NFL.com analyst Gil Brandt reported via Twitter that a source told him Saban was in contract negotiations with Alabama for a contract extension that would be in the $7 million-per-year range.

Adding to the uncertainty is the fact that multiple media outlets reported earlier Tuesday that Brown plans to step aside after this season. However, Brown has denied he intends to step down.
Brown will resign in the coming days, "high-level sources" told Orangebloods.com, but the coach later denied the report Tuesday.

There university made no official announcement, and several other media outlets reported a decision on Brown's status is expected by Thursday, when Brown is scheduled to meet with university president Bill Powers.

Brown disputed the story that he was leaving when reached by text from Horns247.com.
"I haven't seen (the) article," Brown wrote via text. "I'm in Florida recruiting. If I had decided to step down I sure wouldn't be killing myself down here. I have not decided to step down."
According to Horns247.com, Brown is expected to be in Florida for the next two days. He is expected to visit running back Dalvin Cook in Miami on Tuesday and linebacker Andrew Beck in Tampa on Wednesday.

Texas athletic director Steve Patterson said, "We continue to discuss the future of Texas football. Mack Brown has not resigned. And, no decisions have been made."
The UT Board of Regents is scheduled to meet Thursday at a time when regent Wallace Hall faces impeachment over accusations that he misused his office in an attempt to force out Powers.
Powers' employment is on Thursday's agenda. He has led the university since 2006.

Last edited:
Reaction score
From McPhaul over at Hornsports: 12:01pm

Here is what I'm being told.

As I said, Mack is asking for a lot of $ to exit. More than has been contractually agreed upon. Mack has us between a rock and a hard place because he knows he will not be fired. On the Texas side, we just want this thing done but, it is going to cost us.

The releasing of Macks resignation by ESPN has assisted us by making it national news. This prevents Mack Brown from drawing the timeline out any further. Now Mack has to start telling people about his plans to retire, could the releasing of this news by ESPN be premeditated by the Power Brokers to put an end to Mack drawing this out further than Thursday? I would not doubt it.

As I said earlier, as early as Wednesday, no later than Thursday. It is now looking like Thursday.

The other side of this exit contract is the new position Mack is going to transition to. As we have heard from our good friends at Inside Texas, Mack is looking for a similar position that DKR held as assistant to the President. Mack will bring in 1 mill a year in this position.

Here is the PROBLEM. One of the Main stipulations the Saban camp had concerning accepting the HC job at Texas, was Mack cannot be in a position to meddle. As you can see, Mack is positioning himself to do just that. The Saban camp does want that cloud of a tattle tail Mack Brown in the President's ear while they are trying to resurrect the program. The Saban camp is acutely aware that Nick runs a program far different program than Mack does.

I hope this does not end up costing us Saban?

Top Bottom