junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Would you trade him after the season?

What would it take and what do you think you could legitimately get for him?

I think something will have to be done with his contract to get cap compliant next year.

Do you restructure and kick money into future years again? Cutting or trading would save about $7.5 million.

Reaction score
He's on the downslope. I would hope to get a 4th for him, but that's something Al Davis would bite on, maybe even a 3rd.

As far as his contract, I wouldn't know or care.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I doubt anyone makes us an offer that would wow us, especially since everyone rapes Jerry in trades. He's definitely going to have to restructure if he's here next year.

If we keep lame Garrett or hire another puppet, I'd hope we trade him even if it means getting beat in the deal. If we hire a real coach, I'm guessing they'll recognize that Ware needs help on the D Line, I'd love to see a focused (and pushed) Ware.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I doubt anyone makes us an offer that would wow us, especially since everyone rapes Jerry in trades. He's definitely going to have to restructure if he's here next year.

If we keep lame Garrett or hire another puppet, I'd hope we trade him even if it means getting beat in the deal. If we hire a real coach, I'm guessing they'll recognize that Ware needs help on the D Line, I'd love to see a focused (and pushed) Ware.

Jerry would never get rid of any possible HOF player he's drafted. So I'm betting on restructure.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was thinking. I don't even know what we could get for him. I wonder if the Jags would give up a pick to try to energize their fan base by bringing in a star. They have a ton of cap space and their picks will be high.

Another team that might be a good fit is Indy. They run a 3-4 and Ware is certainly a better option than Erik Walden opposite Mathis. If they offered a second this year and third next year, would you consider it?

I love Ware, but he is aging and the only reason I consider moving him is to try to get cap healthy. If I did my math right, if you restructure Ware this year (and do a full restructure turning basically his entire salary into bonus and pro-rating it), his cap number next year jumps to like $20 million.

Reaction score
LOL

I know it's chic to bash everyone on the team, but I don't think Ware is DONE. This is the first injury he's had where he's missed significant time, and everyone's throwing him in the trash heap.

At any rate, this would be the worst time to trade him. Guy could be a HOFer and we're gonna trade him after his worst season when he was injury riddled? Sounds exactly like something Jerry would do.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He had an injury riddled last season too. He's breaking down, but I have to hand it to him because he's trying.

I think we'd be better off without him. He's not a leader. Leaders don't jump offsides on 3rd and short the amount of times he has. He's been around this losing atmosphere too much.

Reaction score
Better off without him? Not many teams would just be "better off" without their best or second best player on defense. If he's not the best, he's #2 behind Lee, and there's really no arguing that. We've already got an embarrassing DL, let's just add another hole.

He had nagging injuries last year, but he still played every game, and still had double digit sacks and 5 forced fumbles. This is the first year he's ever missed a game, and it's a groin strain. It's not like he's got bad knees or some chronic injury.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I wouldn't trade him unless the idea is to blow this bitch up and start over.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah. We kinda need the cap money. Jerry and stupid son have the cap all screwed up again. Imagine that.

I think he's done. When he's in there he gets stonewalled.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade him unless the idea is to blow this bitch up and start over.

It's pretty much blown up now. We just need to unload some contracts.

It's a tough deal. Witten and Ware are both Hall of Famers and you would like to see them retire Cowboys, but we would be better off with someone younger and cheaper.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Ware will be 32 this summer. His cap number for next year is $16 million. For 2015, it is 17.5 million....closer to 20 if they restructure this year, which they'll probably have to do to get cap compliant. Plus you have do a deal for Dez after next season.

I know Jerry will never trade a HoF like Ware (or Witten). They'll limp along as Cowboys to the end. And if a 4th is all you can get, I wouldn't consider it anyway. However, if you can get a nice package of picks and get your cap in shape as well, it might be something to consider.

Moving Ware would basically mean you go into next year with one entrenched starter on the DL though. George Selvie.

I wouldn't consider it blowing things up. Got to shake things up to get out of the 8-8 rut though.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We're not guaranteed to have Selvie next year. He could command a lot of money in the offseason.

Top Bottom