dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Cowboys Sign DT Dawkins; Add 2 More To Practice Squad
Nick Eatman DallasCowboys.com Staff

IRVING, Texas – Who’s next to join the Cowboys’ always-rotating defensive line carousel?

That would be Everett Dawkins, a rookie defensive tackle from Florida State who has been on the Vikings practice squad. Dawkins, a seventh-round pick (229th overall) in 2013, fills the spot vacated by Marvin Austin, who was placed on the waived/injured list on Tuesday because of a back injury he sustained in the last game against Minnesota.

Dawkins (6-2, 300) would be the 17th defensive linemen to play for the Cowboys this year, assuming he will be ready to get snaps this week against the Saints.

Last week, the Cowboys signed Everette Brown, a defensive end off the street who came right in and played meaningful snaps. He even had a key sack and forced fumble late in the game against the Vikings.

Currently at tackle, the Cowboys have starters Jason Hatcher and Nick Hayden, both of whom have been dealing with injuries. Hatcher left the game last week with a neck stinger that has plagued him for several weeks. Hayden had to miss a few plays with a lingering back issue but returned and scored his first career touchdown.

Drake Nevis has been in the rotation as well along with Austin, who suffered the back injury in pre-game warm-ups and didn’t play in the game.

In college, Dawkins played 54 games for the Seminoles in four years, playing mostly the three-technique. He only had five career sacks and 11 tackles for loss.

But coming out of the draft, he was considered a high-motor player that would get picked in the middle rounds, but fell to the seventh. However, the Cowboys had a third-round grade on him.

The Cowboys also signed a pair of players to the practice squad. Guard Phillipkeith Manley, from Toledo, and defensive end Hall Davis (Louisiana-Lafayette) were added to fill out the eight-man squad.

Reaction score
I remember he was a guy I wanted us to take later in the draft, so this is good news to me.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Be pretty damn funny if this guy got more sacks than Sharrif Floyd

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We put a lot of third round grades on guys that other teams rate really really low.

If we really had a 3rd rd grade on him and have had the ability to sign him since the end of preseason (since he was on the Vikes PS) considering all our issues at DL, why'd they wait this long?

Reaction score
Our draft board does not discriminate any player in any round and will rank them all as a frontrunner on our board as soon as they join the team. Truly an equal opportunity evaluation team who give chances to anyone with a pulse plus 300 pounds.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Eh, I don't mind the signing.

I'm mean I'm a pretty negative guy about the team these days, but the Selvie signing has been great. Signing him for 2 years was really astute.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We've been finding some solid players off the street. Brown had a good game. This has been amazing.

Marinelli needs to be retained for sure after all these other idiots are shitcanned.

Reaction score
If we really had a 3rd rd grade on him and have had the ability to sign him since the end of preseason (since he was on the Vikes PS) considering all our issues at DL, why'd they wait this long?

Thats another good point.

We signed Marvin Austin over this guy. When Mike Fisher said repetedly we wanted nothing to do with Austin during his draft year.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Sounds like you're drunk now.

I'm buzzed. Hell, it's Thursday man. Tomorrow is 12:00 am payday Friday and we're doing inventory tomorrow. I don't exactly have to be 100% and it's been a long week. I had to bury my mom.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I didn't tell my daughter she was ugly as fuck and would only be looked at as a vagina to drunk college kids.

I was burying my mom.

Top Bottom