Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
ScreenShot2013-10-19at23300AM.jpg

The list in its entirety is absent Dez and Tyron. They aren't under contract for 2015 right now.

So......how much room is left for the other 44 guys?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Much ado over nothing.

Dez and Tyron will be here. A few guys on that list wont be.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
Both romo and wares salarys will become bonuses and spread over the remaining life of their contracts.

That kind of thing never comes back to bite us later.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Much ado over nothing.

Dez and Tyron will be here. A few guys on that list wont be.

That is kind of the point.

Those 9 guys are at about $95M in cap space. When you add in Dez and Tyron, where does that leave things?

Scandrick and Maybe Berny are the only one's who I could see not being around.

As disheartening as it would be, Ware's contract number represents the biggest cap saver. Guess that's what happens when you restructure every fucking year. Now we get to sit back and watch Dallas either do the same thing again or have to make a business decision.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Both romo and wares salarys will become bonuses and spread over the remaining life of their contracts.

That kind of thing never comes back to bite us later.

I'm not sure Ware's would be all that possible. You'd jack his dead money up to about $10M for 2016, and put his cap hits at like $18M for 2016 and 2017.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
PHP:
I thought dead money was reserved for players no longer on the roster.

Oh, that's if we cut them. Still don't understand the figure. What is it, guaranteed money left on the contract?

We'll save a lot if we cut Austin after next year.

Last edited:

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
PHP:
I thought dead money was reserved for players no longer on the roster.

Oh, that's if we cut them. Still don't understand the figure. What is it, guaranteed money left on the contract?

We'll save a lot if we cut Austin after next year.

It's the amount of "dead money" that WOULD BE created if that player wasn't on the roster for that season.

So for this list, "dead money" represents how much cap space would be used to cover the prorated bonus money assigned to 2015 and beyond. It's the amount of dead money that would be generated if each player was cut after 2014.

Here's Miles' breakdown.

ScreenShot2013-10-19at11820PM.jpg

I don't know what the last year is about. It just says "salary not awarded". Not sure if that means the final year has been voided in the last restructure or what.

The column labeled "misc." is all the money that was previously his base salary in 2011 and 2013. They basically took $8M to $6M and spread it across 5 seasons for those two restructures.

So Miles' "dead money" is the added amounts in "misc." for the years 2015, 2016 and 2017.

So for 2015, it would cost $9M to have Miles on the roster but it would cost $5M to get rid of him. The team avoids $4M in cap charges by cutting him.

The real problem is this. Cutting those guys doesn't really do much. Well, at least most of them.

These 4 Will Not Be Cut:

Romo
Carr
Claiborne
Lee​

You can't cut Romo and have $19M hanging on the books. I actually think they'll restructure the 2015 season. I pray they don't restructure the 2014 season because it would push Romo's cap figure up by $2M for the remaining years, making his 2015 cap number almost $28M.......which would require a restructure.

You're not going to cut Carr because it's cap neutral.

You're not going to cut Claiborne because ideally he would have finally developed into the player he was drafted to be. Even if he doesn't you don't cut him because it is also neutral.

You're not going to cut Lee because it would cost more cap space to actually do so.​

These 2 May Be Cut:
Ware
Witten

Ware's cap number is too high and represents the single most cap beneficial the team can make. Cutting him would open up $12M in cap space.

Witten is already at the top of the TE cap number list. He's aging and would free up about $3M. It'd be a shitty fucking move and Jerry'd sell it as some bullshit but the reality would be that Jason was cut because Jerry restructured all these contracts to the point where you have a handful of players who aren't living up to their cap figures and someone has to go.​

Goners, Maybe 2014 Cuts:
Austin
Bernardeau
Scandrick

Austin isn't playing at a level anywhere near what his cap number will next year or in 2015. Over the last 16 games he has 64 receptions, 768 yards and 3 TDs. The current #3 WR in Arizona (Andre Roberts) had better stats in 2012 than that shit. Dallas would actually have $7M in dead space if they cut him after this year. It would cost them $8M to keep him. I'd let him go. Maybe give him a chance to reduce his base salary in the form of a pay cut like Free but he'd be gone otherwise. 120 yards receiving on the year. Beasley is outproducing him.

Bernadeau needs to go as well. Dallas frees up $1M by cutting him next year.

Not really sure about Scandrick. I like the guy but may just be one of those business decisions. Maybe they keep him if Morris doesn't pull his head out of his ass. It costs almost the same to cut him as it does to keep him for 2014. I would like for him to stay but these are the decisions that you sometimes have to make. Cut him in 2014, taking the cap hit that is equal to the cost of keeping him.

Take the full hits on all of these guys next season as the hits are cheaper than keeping them. Then they are completely off the books for 2015. Only one of them is actually contributing and that's Scandrick. The other two might as well not be on the team right now.

Cut those three guys in 2014 and take the $14M in dead money that would follow. Reap the benefit in 2015 to the tune of $20M off that $95M they have currently scheduled.​

Bottom line is the team is either going to have to restructure to keep the same group of aging and declining players together or they are going to have to start cutting them.

Personally, I'd start next year by cutting Bernadeau, Austin and Scandrick. Austin has already been replace, as has Berny. Even if Waters doesn't come back you can always draft a guy to plug in and he'd be no worse than Bernie. Scandrick is really the only concern I would have. I like him but he's not all that fantastic. Develop a DB at some point and it'll work out.

And lets see. Where would that leave Dallas......6 remaining players on the list at $73.6M in scheduled cap charges.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think we'd be better off if Hoofbite managed the cap instead of Stephen "I just ate a bowl of shit" Jones.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
There's a pretty lively thread at CZ about restructuring and not being a big deal.

One poster said they could restructure Ware, Romo, Witten, Lee, Carr and it would only add like $8M to future years....but that's okay.

So you add $8M to this $95M, leaving like $22M for the rest of the team and that's "okay".

Even if you cut Scandrick, Austin and Berny and removed their cap numbers completely (which won't happen, they'll june first one or two), you're still sitting at $83M for 6 players.

Don't worry though, more Romo restructuring.

I've noticed some of the more vocal "all is well" cap folks are partaking less and less in the cap threads. I've written up a couple of pretty lengthy posts over there not a lot of action on them.

If Dallas restructures those 5 guys here's what their cap totals will be for JUST THOSE 5 GUYs. All restructure in 2014, Romo restructures in 2015.

2014: $35M
2015: $63M
2016: $66M
2017: $74M
2018: $64M

Look at 2017. $74M dollars for 5 fucking players.

$74M in cap charges for:
  • 31 Year Old Linebacker
  • 31 Year Old Cornerback
  • 35 Year Old Tight End
  • 35 Year Old Defensive End
  • 37 Year Old Quarterback

It's just fucking stupid. Hedging your bet on a group of guys, most well above 30.

If they restructure Romo twice he'll have to be on the roster through 2017 no matter what. If he's not on the roster the Cowboys will have almost $20M in dead money.

Just for shits and giggles, lets pretend that all of these guy had to be cut 4 years from now. Anyone care to guess how much dead money there would be (provided they didn't split it) on the 2017 cap if they had to cut all these guys after the 2016 season?

$36M in dead money. Each guy having played at least 4 years on his current contract.

Reaction score
I'd like to see the numbers for Carr and Scandrick for next few years.

... could be it is better to keep Scandrick now and cut Carr in a few years.

I hate having so much money tied up in CBs.

Hate to say it, but the shrewd move is to part company with Ware.

Reaction score
We're a mess. The whole situation is ugly.

It's going to suck to see Ware in another uniform. But maybe he can get on with a good team and finally get a ring.

Also, I will say, Dez and Tyron won't be that big of a cap hit their first years. Usually the deals are structured like the above, where it'll be some astronomical figure (6 years, Jillion dollars) but the first year is only like $150.75 and the 2nd year semi cheap and then backloaded all to hell.

And this is why we didn't draft any defensive lineman. The team is trying to reset the roster. Hypothetically, Williams replaces Austin, Webb replaces Scandrick, Randle replaces Murray, etc.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Cowboys will be $31M over cap
Updated: October 20, 2013, 11:34 AM ET
By Adam Schefter | ESPN
RECOMMEND2KTWEET273COMMENTS442EMAILPRINT
The Dallas Cowboys are projected to be at least a league-leading $31 million over the salary cap next season.

The Cowboys will face what one NFL executive called "a train wreck" in terms of their salary-cap issues.

More on the Cowboys

Calvin Watkins, Tim MacMahon and Todd Archer have the Dallas Cowboys blanketed.
Blog » ESPN Dallas »
Top 50 Cowboys

If Dallas is $31 million over the cap, it would be $13 million more than the next-closest team, the New Orleans Saints.

Dallas' messy salary-cap situation got even messier this week when the Cowboys released former Pro Bowl defensive tackle Jay Ratliff, who will count for almost $7 million against the cap in 2014.

Dallas likely will be forced to cut more players and slash contracts in an effort just to get back to the salary cap, especially after giving lucrative extensions to quarterback Tony Romo, linebacker Sean Lee, tight end Jason Witten and wide receiver Miles Austin.

Top Bottom