Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
11 games into this season, we're sitting here taking about how terrible a 4-7 record is, then the news hits the wire. GARRETT FIRED!!!!!

We all know Miranelli is interim head coach, it's pretty much a given.

Who do you want for next head scapegoat/empty track suit/puppet . .er. . .coach?

Reaction score
I don't care if the next head coach is seen as more defense or offense-minded.

I'm more interested in seeing what the new offense will look like and who the next offensive coordinator will be.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
David Shaw from Stanford would be my #1 choice, maybe Lovie Smith...Steve Sarkisian is interesting

Reaction score
Lovie Smith or Jon Gruden.

I don't think you could make Marinelli interim head coach and then bump him back down to DL coach next year. I'm not saying it's illegal or anything. Just sayin' its kinda a jerk move and I doubt he'd go for it.

Hell, I'd even take Marinelli as the next coach.

Really doesn't matter to me anymore.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Really doesn't matter to me anymore.

Unfortunately this is probably true. Unless idiot Jones finds the next Jimmy Johnson and turns complete control over to that person, nothing is really going to change. We're also tattooed to Tony Romo for at least another 2-3 seasons, and I'm reasonably sure at this point he just ISNT a championship QB.

Reaction score
Unfortunately this is probably true. Unless idiot Jones finds the next Jimmy Johnson and turns complete control over to that person, nothing is really going to change. We're also tattooed to Tony Romo for at least another 2-3 seasons, and I'm reasonably sure at this point he just ISNT a championship QB.

You were probably sure flacco and Eli weren't either.

Reaction score
What I've hated most about Gingerfag is that he's been shitty during our title window. I want someone who is proven and will not be training on the job. Gruden would do wonders for Tony. I agree with Dbair that Shaw from Stanford might be ok too.

Should have just paid Sean Payton the $8 fucking million. JJ wastes more than that on a regular basis with all the shitty players he extends.

Also, Lovie Smith is a terrible fucking coach. I don't think he can count past the number 2.

Reaction score
Can someone tell me why they think gruden wouldn't be a disaster? He's a big fucking ****** now

He probably would be. But he's got skins on the wall, and I'd have to think he'd come in with some credibility and some demands that include taking control away from Jerry and not being a puppett.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I want Holmgren. I don't think you can hire some young guy without a track record or it'll look like he's another Jones stooge even if he's not. Take a guy like Shaw -- he might be a great young coach but I don't know if that dynamic works here. Jerry's been around so long and looms so large over this whole operation that you need someone with huge NFL cred. Another Parcells and not another Garrett, if you will.

Plus Holmgren

- is a tough guy
- is an offensive guru so the majority of the D staff can stay (I think this happens no matter who the new coach is)
- is a strong enough personality that he won't be pushed around by the local media
- is friends with JJ so he could probably manage JJ's media appearances, drunken appearances around town, etc.
- has a totally different offensive system, which we need. Rip this thing up by the roots, don't half-ass it.

Gruden is a lesser version of that but he's younger so I wouldn't mind him, either. Still think Holmgren would be better if his health and energy allow, which as far as I know they do.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He probably would be. But he's got skins on the wall, and I'd have to think he'd come in with some credibility and some demands that include taking control away from Jerry and not being a puppett.

That is a hideous avatar.

Reaction score
Holmgren might work too but he's not a long-term solution and I really don't want him building something ala Parcells, only to get replaced by another puppet in 3-4 years. Also, he was a terrible GM in Cleveland, so I'm not too confident in his ability to look over JJ where it counts most. Parcells and Jimmy were perfect fits for this organization bc they were good coaches who also knew how to groom and/or acquire talent. Essentially, we need a great coach who can also be good GM, but be sly enough to make JJ think he's the one running stuff. That makes things much harder.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Agree that would be ideal, but really, I don't care about the long term right now. I want someone who can get the best out of Romo and Witten and this offense now, before the window totally closes. I figure Romo has maybe three good years after this one, so that's what I'm worried about. Besides, Holmgren is pretty good with QBs (Favre, Brunnell, Hasselbeck), so he could have input into finding the next one.

Reaction score
I want someone who has the balls to walk in to the GMs office and drop ricin in his coffee when he isn't looking.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
There have been dozens of assasination attempts on Skeletor.

They've all failed.

I've got one that will work though: a microphone laced with explosives and ball bearings.

Top Bottom