C

Cr122

Kaye Cowher, wife of former Steelers coach, dies at age 54
Saturday, July 24, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Matt Freed/Post-Gazette

Kaye Cowher, the wife of former Steelers football coach Bill Cowher, died Friday in her native North Carolina after losing a battle with skin cancer. She was 54.

The Cowhers moved to Raleigh, N.C., in 2006, Mr. Cowher's final season coaching the Steelers, and continued to make it their home.

The Cowhers met when they were classmates at North Carolina State University in 1976. Mr. Cowher was on the football team and Mrs. Cowher, the former Kaye Young, and her twin sister, Faye, played basketball.

Tall at 5-foot-11, Mrs. Cowher displayed an inside power game that made her one of the first young women in her home state to receive a college athletic scholarship.

Her teams at North Carolina State went 21-3 and 29-5, respectively, winning the inaugural Atlantic Coast Conference women's basketball title in 1978 with a 9-0 record and ranking No. 3 nationally.

Faye and Kaye later played for the Women's Professional Basketball League, where Mrs. Cowher was among the pioneers in the early days of Title IX. They played one season with the New York Stars and two with the New Jersey Gems, competing against notable stars Carol Blazejowski and Nancy Lieberman.

After the league folded in 1981, she married Mr. Cowher, who was then playing for the Cleveland Browns.
Martha Rial/Post-Gazette
Kaye Cowher with daughter Meagan in 2002 in the gym at Fox Chapel.

From Bunn, N.C., where her father initially refused to let his twin daughters play the rough sport of basketball, Mrs. Cowher's mother made it happen.

"The reason we played is because of my mother," Kaye Cowher told the Post-Gazette in 2002. "She said that absolutely, these girls are going to have the opportunity to play."

She also appeared in a Wrigley Doublemint gum commercial with her twin sister.

Mrs. Cowher spent two years at Peace College in Raleigh before transferring to North Carolina State, where she graduated with a bachelor's in sociology in 1978.

At the time of her death she was a member of the North Carolina State Board of Visitors, an honorary body that advises the chancellor and board of trustees.

The Cowhers have three daughters, Meagan, Lauren, and Lindsay, all of whom have been standout basketball players. The oldest two, Meagan and Lauren, played together at Princeton University, where Meagan was the fourth-highest scorer in the program's history and Lauren was a co-captain finishing the 2008-09 season as the team's leading scorer.

The parents often took in their daughters' Tigers games.

"The girls get all their skills from their Mom -- she started to teach them at an early age," Bill once told The Daily Princetonian. "I'm just a spectator who loves the game."

Mrs. Cowher was a constant presence in the press box on Steelers game days and was considered as resolute and steely as her more famous husband.

She was the driving force behind her husband's retirement in 2007, pressing him to move with her and their youngest daughter to North Carolina, help with the commute to basketball games, reunite the nuclear family before their final daughter left the nest. Lindsay last winter completed her freshman season at Wofford College in Spartanburg, S.C., where she played sparsely in 14 games.

For the last three years, Mr. Cowher, a Crafton native who attended Carlynton High School, has worked as a studio analyst for CBS Sports on its "NFL Today" show.

The family has requested privacy and has released no information on Mrs. Cowher's death. Services will be held in North Carolina on Monday.

Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10205/1075132-122.stm#ixzz0ubkagGqu

C

Cr122

That's too bad to hear that about his wife.

With his girls off to college he might think about a return to coaching next year.

Jerry would be a fool not to hire him.

Reaction score
I hate to hear she died.

And I'm sure he will return to coaching. But I don't want him in Dallas. Everything came together in 2006, but prior to that his teams always came up short when it matters most.

sbk92

Reaction score
I hate to hear she died.

And I'm sure he will return to coaching. But I don't want him in Dallas. Everything came together in 2006, but prior to that his teams always came up short when it matters most.

So then you obviously don't want Wade Phillips in Dallas too.

C

Cr122

I hate to hear she died.

How could you not like Cowher over Phillips?

Reaction score
I keep typing a response, then hitting the "Reply to Thread" icon on the lower left hand side, and losing all that I typed. I'm 'tarded.

In summation of what I typed and lost, I don't want Cowher because he's been made into a coaching legend by the media. He's the 'hottest' name out there, and I think if he went to his next team he'd want complete control of everything, and that never works out.

sbk92

Reaction score
laughing-smiley-004.gif

Jesus Christ. Jerry Jones has total control here. How the hell could Bill Cowher be worse?

I could think of a lot worse things to do than hire him.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I keep typing a response, then hitting the "Reply to Thread" icon on the lower left hand side, and losing all that I typed. I'm 'tarded.

In summation of what I typed and lost, I don't want Cowher because he's been made into a coaching legend by the media. He's the 'hottest' name out there, and I think if he went to his next team he'd want complete control of everything, and that never works out.

Hit "Post quick reply". I did that a couple of times early on.

C

Cr122

Just hit the back button then hit send message. Or stop hitting it. I've learn to. lol

C

Cr122

When we get enough members I'll do a poll.

Which coach would you rather have, Wade Phillips, Bill Cowher or Jason Garrett.

If it were those three I would choose Cowher.

C

Cr122

The guy that should be coaching here is coaching the Jets right now.

Rex Ryan would of been sweet.

We weren't thinking about coaching changes when he took the Jets job though.

You won't see him here now. He'll be too busy taking the Jets to Cowboys Stadium in Feb.

Top Bottom