Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Rowan Kavner DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. – Wide receiver Cole Beasley remains a good bet to make the Cowboys 53-man roster for the second straight year. One year ago, it was a question whether he’d even make it through the first cuts.

Beasley left the team during the Cowboys’ 2012 training camp in Oxnard, Calif., citing personal reasons. It was a mystery at that point whether Beasley would play another down of football ever again, and it’s a moment he tries not to relive.

“It’s definitely living life with some regret,” Beasley said. “Hopefully, no one holds that against me now. I don’t think they are. I hope they aren’t.”

Beasley was given an ultimatum to return, which he did. It took some talking with his family, and particularly his father, to realize the dream he would be surrendering.

The receiver would go on to make the team and serve as a viable slot option during the regular season.

“I went through some tough issues then, and it helped me just to know what I had and what I was losing,” he said. “It’ll help me a lot going forward, because now it puts it into perspective for me.”

The former SMU product arrived back at his house around 3 a.m. and had a two hour conversation with his parents in the morning.

Beasley said his parents were waiting for him at his house before he even arrived back in Texas after leaving Cowboys camp. They drove all the way from San Antonio to Dallas to discuss the options with their son. As he considered his next step, he absorbed all his father had to offer.

“Mainly, I was just listening to his perspective and what he had to say and everything that was going on,” Beasley said. “He’s been a mentor in my life forever. He was my head coach in high school and he coached me in little league and stuff growing up. Any time I need anything I always go to him and ask and he always helps me.”

Beasley wasn’t joking around when he considered quitting football. He said he doesn’t want to think about it now, but he probably would have gone back to school and finished out at SMU. He has an affinity for coaching, so he likely would have tried to coach at the high school level.

Luckily for the Cowboys and for Beasley’s career, the receiver decided to return to the team. He didn’t want to divulge all the details of the message his father gave him, but it clearly was enough to get him to return.

“We just had some issues within the family we had to deal with, so I had to take care of that,” Beasley said. “I went home and talked to him about it, and we got through it.”

Beasley went on to have a productive training camp and served as a contributor during the season. The undrafted local product caught 15 passes for 128 yards, including a seven-catch game against the Redskins.

This time, there are no thoughts about another future or leaving camp. He said he’s moved forward and tries not to reflect at that moment in his life.

“I’m going to be here,” Beasley said. “As long as they’ll let me be here, I’ll be here. I’m here to stay.”

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Dude is money.

Needs to be used more often. If memory serves, he made the most of all his opportunities last year. Some nice grabs for nice yardage. Some key 3rd down conversions too.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I agree. He is the perfect slot WR, but some fans don't like him due to his size. I don't care. He is a football player.

Genghis Khan

Cheerleader
Reaction score
He simply is not very good. A WR who doesn't even average 10 ypc is not worth much IMO.

Genghis Khan

Cheerleader
Reaction score
I never understood why they played Ogletree more.

I never understood why the brought Ogletree back in the first place.

Hell, the minute he played in that one Redskins game a couple years ago and didn't know the play book or what the eff he was supposed to be doing they should have cut his ass.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I never understood why the brought Ogletree back in the first place.

Hell, the minute he played in that one Redskins game a couple years ago and didn't know the play book or what the eff he was supposed to be doing they should have cut his ass.

Don't get me started.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't think we'll ever understand why Ultimate Spare Ogletree got so much playing time. Guess the influence of John Garrett + Babe Laufenberg was too strong.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
He simply is not very good. A WR who doesn't even average 10 ypc is not worth much IMO.

He always seems to make the plays needed. He picks up the first down when needed. When five yards are needed for a first down, does he really need twnenty yards to up a stupid stat?

Reaction score
The people who want Cole Beasley off this team are the same ones that wanted Dammy Amendola off the team and George Zimmerman wrongly convicted!

Genghis Khan

Cheerleader
Reaction score
He always seems to make the plays needed. He picks up the first down when needed. When five yards are needed for a first down, does he really need twnenty yards to up a stupid stat?

Asking for more than 8.5 ypc isn't exactly stat padding.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Asking for more than 8.5 ypc isn't exactly stat padding.

This team has it's stats it needs more production.

Beasley is a slot possession receiver / chain mover. He did a good job of that in a limited role last year.

Stretching the field belongs to Dez and Austin.

Reaction score
He isn't anymore than the 5th we on the team. I'd like to see him stick but if there is someone better on the roster, bye Cole.

Genghis Khan

Cheerleader
Reaction score
8.5 ypc is not just a little low for a WR, it is bottom of the barrel awful. It is most certainly not production.

You wouldn't say it's ok for a RB to average 2 ypc.

If I need a conversion on 3rd and 10 can I trust Beasley to get it?

Can I consistently hit Beasley and move the ball down the field?

He is at best the 5th best WR on this team. He averages about as low a ypc as a WR can humanly average. He has little to no upside and has little to no usefulness on special teams.

This team has settled for mediocrity far too long. See ya bye.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Remember when Dez made that great TD catch against the Eagles. Guess who drew the double coverage.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
8.5 ypc is not just a little low for a WR, it is bottom of the barrel awful. It is most certainly not production.

You wouldn't say it's ok for a RB to average 2 ypc.

If I need a conversion on 3rd and 10 can I trust Beasley to get it?

Can I consistently hit Beasley and move the ball down the field?

He is at best the 5th best WR on this team. He averages about as low a ypc as a WR can humanly average. He has little to no upside and has little to no usefulness on special teams.

This team has settled for mediocrity far too long. See ya bye.

He never was asked to pick up a lot of yardage, that's why his average is so low. Every time we put him in he made plays.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Beasley is not supposed to be a down the field threat, but he catches 15 yd passes at practice when the play is called. It just so happens that he has been used in the short passing game. You are certainly a Cowboy fan. Most fans love stats over production. The team needs players that can make plays when needed. This little bastard does that. They need more play makers instead of stat padders.

Genghis Khan

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Beasley is not supposed to be a down the field threat, but he catches 15 yd passes at practice when the play is called. It just so happens that he has been used in the short passing game. You are certainly a Cowboy fan. Most fans love stats over production. The team needs players that can make plays when needed. This little bastard does that. They need more play makers instead of stat padders.

What a coincidence that the team holds him back from getting more yards. They don't do that to anyone else, mind you. Just poor Beasley. Couldn't be just that he's a limited player. Nah.

Top Bottom