Reaction score
July, 26, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. – In recent training camps when a player would commit a pre-snap penalty, Jason Garrett would pull that specific player for a snap.

This year when a player commits a pre-snap penalty, Garrett pulls the entire offense.

“One of the things we really emphasize from a coaching staff standpoint and throughout our team is the word accountability,” Garrett said. “We have to take accountability for what we’re doing.”

The Cowboys had 28 false-start penalties in 2012, which ranked 31st in the 32-team league. Their 16 defensive offside penalties were 30th. They were 25th in delay-of-game (seven) and 12-men on the field (five) penalties. They were flagged for encroachment three times, which was 14th in the league.

The 59 pre-snap penalties accounted for 251 yards.

“We have to get better in the area of pre-snap penalties. There’s no secret to that,” Garrett said. “It’s a whole unit thing. It’s the offensive unit or the defensive unit. Everybody’s responsible for that. On offense, it’s the quarterback’s cadence, making it friendly to the offensive linemen. And obviously it’s the offensive linemen, receivers, backs and tight ends’ responsibility to stay onsides. We feel like it’s a good idea to make sure it’s not only the guy who does it, it’s everybody.”

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Some may complain about taking reps away from our starters but I do like the point that Jason is trying to get across, and at worst they are losing like 5 snaps a day, big deal.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Both of them need to learn to move when the ball is snapped. There's no excuse for the amount of penalties they rack up. They usually do it at the worst possible times to. Free would do it when we were inside the 5 all the time. It needs to stop.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I just fake accountability statements.

How about fining Marion Barber the 4th for not wearing a tie on a flight?

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just fake accountability statements.

How about fining Marion Barber the 4th for not wearing a tie on a flight?

How about cutting his ass on the spot?

Oh I'm sorry, that's Jerry's job and he would never do that.

Reaction score
This year is weird already. It's like they're sweeping trash under the carpet just before the parents come home . So much bluster years too late

Top Bottom