JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
The top-secret PRISM program allows the U.S. intelligence community to gain access from nine Internet companies to a wide range of digital information, including e-mails and stored data, on foreign targets operating outside the United States. The program is court-approved but does not require individual warrants. Instead, it operates under a broader authorization from federal judges who oversee the use of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). Some documents describing the program were first released by The Washington Post on June 6. The newly released documents below give additional details about how the program operates, including the levels of review and supervisory control at the NSA and FBI. The documents also show how the program interacts with the Internet companies. These slides, annotated by The Post, represent a selection from the overall document, and certain portions are redacted.

Monitoring a target's communication

This diagram shows how the bulk of the world’s electronic communications move through companies based in the United States.

prism-slide-2.jpg

Providers and data

The PRISM program collects a wide range of data from the nine companies, although the details vary by provider.

prism-slide-4.jpg

Participating providers

This slide shows when each company joined the program, with Microsoft being the first, on Sept. 11, 2007, and Apple the most recent, in October 2012

prism-slide-5.jpg

New slides published June 29

Acquiring data from a new target

This slide describes what happens when an NSA analyst "tasks" the PRISM system for information about a new surveillance target. The request to add a new target is passed automatically to a supervisor who reviews the "selectors," or search terms. The supervisor must endorse the analyst's "reasonable belief," defined as 51 percent confidence, that the specified target is a foreign national who is overseas at the time of collection.

prism-slide-6.jpg

Analyzing information collected from private companies

After communications information is acquired, the data are processed and analyzed by specialized systems that handle voice, text, video and "digital network information" that includes the locations and unique device signatures of targets.

prism-slide-7.jpg

Each target is assigned a case notation

The PRISM case notation format reflects the availability, confirmed by The Post's reporting, of real-time surveillance as well as stored content.

prism-slide-8.jpg

Depending on the provider, the NSA may receive live notifications when a target logs on or sends an e-mail, or may monitor a voice, text or voice chat as it happens (noted on the first slide as "Surveillance").

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
But the Boston Bombings still happened.

How about focusing on terrorists, assholes.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
But the Boston Bombings still happened.

How about focusing on terrorists, assholes.

:lol Because this administration has already waved the white flag on that front.
It's easier to wage a war on your own civilian population.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
:lol Because this administration has already waved the white flag on that front.
It's easier to wage a war on your own civilian population.

They have stepped up drone strikes.

It's just everyone gets punished because of the actions of a few. They're too busy watching everyone and letting the few who do bomb civilians slip past them.

It's like defending against a hail mary and treating all 11 men on offense as recieving threats. That's moronic.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
I love how Bush was into everyone's shit, but if you look at that time line... everyone that's on it came after Obama was in office, but Hotmail. Yeah, he really cleaned up all that spying shit alright...

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
All that spying and they can't prevent 9/11 or the Boston Bombings? Yeah right.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Georgie-boy is in on the act. All of his policies set the stage his successor is acting on.

I know he damaged the country. The Obama administration will deal with it. I think he damaged the security of the country. I put the program in place to protect the country, and one of the certainties is civil liberties were guaranteed. I think there needs to be a balance [between security and privacy] and as the president described, there is a proper balance. - George Bush

Link

Snowden releases a letter:

One week ago I left Hong Kong after it became clear that my freedom and safety were under threat for revealing the truth. My continued liberty has been owed to the efforts of friends new and old, family, and others who I have never met and probably never will. I trusted them with my life and they returned that trust with a faith in me for which I will always be thankful.

On Thursday, President Obama declared before the world that he would not permit any diplomatic "wheeling and dealing" over my case. Yet now it is being reported that after promising not to do so, the President ordered his Vice President to pressure the leaders of nations from which I have requested protection to deny my asylum petitions.

This kind of deception from a world leader is not justice, and neither is the extralegal penalty of exile. These are the old, bad tools of political aggression. Their purpose is to frighten, not me, but those who would come after me.

For decades the United States of America have been one of the strongest defenders of the human right to seek asylum. Sadly, this right, laid out and voted for by the U.S. in Article 14 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, is now being rejected by the current government of my country. The Obama administration has now adopted the strategy of using citizenship as a weapon. Although I am convicted of nothing, it has unilaterally revoked my passport, leaving me a stateless person. Without any judicial order, the administration now seeks to stop me exercising a basic right. A right that belongs to everybody. The right to seek asylum.

In the end the Obama administration is not afraid of whistleblowers like me, Bradley Manning or Thomas Drake. We are stateless, imprisoned, or powerless. No, the Obama administration is afraid of you. It is afraid of an informed, angry public demanding the constitutional government it was promised — and it should be.

I am unbowed in my convictions and impressed at the efforts taken by so many.
Edward Joseph Snowden
Monday 1st July 2013

Link

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
All that spying and they can't prevent 9/11 or the Boston Bombings? Yeah right.

The timeline goes back to 2007. How do they prevent 9/11?

Wait, I know it's a trick question because they did it, right?

Top Bottom