Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

From a financial standpoint, the Dallas Cowboys don't have to do anything regarding defensive tackle Josh Brent. He's currently on the reserve/non-football illness list because he's awaiting trial for an intoxication manslaughter charge resulting in the death of practice squad player Jerry Brown.

Brent counts $641,889 against the salary cap.

However, you begin to wonder if the Cowboys are running out of patience with Brent.

Last week, Dallas County prosecutors said Brent tested positive for marijuana while on bail, a clear violation of his terms. Prosecutors are asking a judge to revoke Brent's $100,000 bond and issue a warrant for his arrest.

This latest fiasco should frustrate the Cowboys in their dealings with Brent.

It might be time to release him. Currently, the Cowboys have 90 men on the roster and need to make room with the expected signing of Jeris Pendleton.

After Brent was charged back in December, the popular theory at Valley Ranch was the Cowboys didn't want to release a popular player in the locker room who developed close relationships. The Cowboys, from owner/general manager Jerry Jones, to nearly every player on the roster, wanted to support Brent. Brown's mother also asked the Cowboys to support Brent.

The Cowboys have bent over backward with support. They've allowed him to use the facilities to work out, talk to team counselors and kept him on the roster. The Cowboys can release Brent and still remain supportive. Now, his availability to the team facility could be limited because he's no longer a member of the franchise, but his teammates reach out to him all the time.

Coach Jason Garrett and Jones, along with others in the front office, can continue to speak with him.

The Cowboys are waiting for the NFL to make a decision regarding Brent. When Brent's legal proceedings conclude, the NFL will render a decision, thus leaving it out of the Cowboys' hands.

Jones and the rest of the organization should be commended for their support of Brent, but now it could be time to say goodbye.

-------- -------------- ------------ ------------------ ------------- -------------

A simple yes.

Reaction score
I don't understand why we haven't already, quite frankly.

Is there a chance he'll ever play for us again?

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't understand why we haven't already, quite frankly.

Is there a chance he'll ever play for us again?

Doubtful. It would make a mockery of "RKG" and "Cowboy way."

Reaction score
Wouldn't put it past the team to bypass DL in the draft because we were counting on Brent.

Reaction score
This whole "don't cut him because we need to give him our support" thing is bullshit. You're paying him 600K for nothing!! That counts against our cap. I realize it's not a huge amount, relatively speaking, to the rest of our cap, but damn. Why are we throwing that money away?

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
As soon as he tested positive for weed he should have been cut, but Jerry has shown over the years that he doesn't mind paying for lack of production.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
As soon as he tested positive for weed he should have been cut, but Jerry has shown over the years that he doesn't mind paying for lack of production.

As soon as his careless actions led to the death of a teammate he should have been cut.

silver

Cheerleader
Reaction score
This whole "don't cut him because we need to give him our support" thing is bullshit. You're paying him 600K for nothing!! That counts against our cap. I realize it's not a huge amount, relatively speaking, to the rest of our cap, but damn. Why are we throwing that money away?

I don't think they have to pay him if he's suspended by the league. He won't see a game check if he's in jail.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He's not in jail now. He won't go to trial before the season starts. Then what?

He's using the money Jerry is still paying him for reasons only known to Jerry to buy alcohol and weed. If that's what he wants to do, fine, but don't embarass the team with if you're still on the team you dope.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
The Cowboys have bent over backward with support.

I'll willing stipulate Brent's judgement was impaired at the time of his alleged* fatal DWI incident.
Doesn't make Jerry Brown less dead.
I'm certain Brent,along with every other person alive,knew he shouldn't drink and drive.
Brent also had to know he couldn't turn in a hot piss test while on bail.
Josh didn't/doesn't give a fuck.
The Cowboys can show love and support without him taking a roster spot.
Kick him to the curb.

* he fucking did it

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
They should have cut him long ago.

At this point it's not even a question. He's an idiot. Move on.

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
OK what is the official status for a player in jail, but still on a team? PUP?

Top Bottom