Reaction score
Jason Garrett should come clean
June, 9, 2013
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

Starting Tuesday, Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett will have three days with the media during the veteran minicamp. During these talks with reporters, Garrett most likely will be asked about the play caller again.

It's already been confirmed Bill Callahan will call the offensive plays, despite Garrett's refusal to address it and owner/general manager Jerry Jones telling reporters to watch practice.

When you watch practice, Callahan is calling the plays. Garrett is watching.

But Garrett needs to come clean here. It's too late if the Cowboys decide to switch back to Garrett over Callahan because that would mean there's more confusion than we all thought.

Garrett has to tell reporters what the deal is with the play caller. Of course, Garrett doesn't think this is a big deal, but in reality it is. Garrett wouldn't have left Miami for the Cowboys to just coach the quarterbacks in 2007. He left to call plays.

At one point, Garrett knew he was going to stop calling plays in his career, and he's even told reporters this.

The time is now.

If Garrett was forced out of the play calling duties, then I understand why he's hesitant to admit a duty was taken from him. If Garrett is making this decision on his own accord, then fine, admit it to reporters and move on with your life.

Garrett is putting his time with the Cowboys in the hands of Callahan and if they both fail, meaning no playoff berth, resumes will be handed out. Garrett understands this more than anybody.

Jones doesn't make things easier by implying who will call the plays, but then again, that's not his job. It's Garrett's job to lead the Cowboys to the postseason.

In each of the last two seasons, the Cowboys had a chance to clinch a playoff berth but lost in the regular season finale. You can blame Garrett all you want about the last two games, but the facts are he's got his team within a game of the playoffs.

He can't get credit for almost getting there. He's got to get credit for pushing his team into the playoffs. If the Cowboys are going to the postseason, men like Monte Kiffin (defensive coordinator) and Callahan (play caller) will dictate things on the field while Garrett will manage other things.

Garrett said last week he's not worried about a power struggle or how he looks in the eyes of the public. He knows he's in charge of the Dallas Cowboys.

If that's the case, Garrett needs to tell the general public, through the media, that Callahan is calling the plays. He's still the head coach. He's still the face of the franchise.

Next week is the time for Garrett to take a stand and tell everybody what the deal is regarding the offense. If he doesn't this issue won't go away until July when training camp opens.

That would be sad.

Reaction score
I agree. :like

Carrot Top needs to fess up he is not going to be calling all the offensive plays.
Yes, he might be asked for his input at times.

So, my suggestion to him would be:

"GROW BALLS! Tell the mediots you are not calling the offensive plays. Stop beating around the bush and end this silly game of avoiding these type of questions"

:jerkoff

Last edited:

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
If he comes out and says who is calling the plays what does he accomplish for the team?

Is the offence gong to be better with this declaration?

Will Austin's hammys survive the season. Will Murray stay healthy?

Will Romo avoid the costly mistake that makes the fans groan?

Is there a single competitive advantage to declaring who the play caller is?

If I was a DC on a opposing team for the season I would sure like to know who the play caller is?

Once I found out it was Callahan I would be asking my Quality Control coaches to break down film of the Callahan offences to see if there were tendencies to be found from Philly to Oakland to Nebraska and then the Cowboys.

It may be work for no benefit, but if they dig out one tendency and the coach calls a crucial play in game that the defence can get a jump on...well let's just say this is why coaches tend not to talk strategy on media interviews.

Non-issue in my mind. Frankly it sounds like a bunch of media crybabies wanting to suck on Jerry's teat.

Reaction score
I agree. :like

Carrot Top needs to fess up he is not going to be calling all the offensive plays.
Yes, he might be asked for his input at times.

So, my suggestion to him would be:

"GROW BALLS! Tell the mediots you are not calling the offensive plays. Stop beating around the bush and end this silly game of avoiding these type of questions"

:jerkoff
Asked for input? He is the head coach he'll dictate his input he doesn't need permission from his employees.

It doesn't really matter anyway if he says it or not.

Reaction score
Come clean? Why does Garrett need to declare anything?

And why is this even a question anymore. Jocks to socks already declared it.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah, it's already been confirmed. I don't understand why he needs to say anything.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
But .. but .. Hos said that Red called all the shots. How could this public emasculation have happened?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If he comes out and says who is calling the plays what does he accomplish for the team?
What does it hurt to say it? You think teams aren't going to see who's doing it the first game of preseason and have plenty of time to do whatever adjusting they have to do?

I guess if you wanted to take it to the extreme you could try to never say anything ever to the media in the name of "competitive advantage", but that's not realistic when you're talking about the Dallas Cowboys.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
LOL at "competitive advantage".

Teams prepping for Garrett's offense freak out and realize Callahan is calling the plays when they notice a 3rd type of play called.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
This is just the media digging deep to try and get fans going...

Nothing to come clean about. Callahan is calling the plays.

Not sure what else needs to be said. Move on.

Reaction score
LOL at "competitive advantage".

Teams prepping for Garrett's offense freak out and realize Callahan is calling the plays when they notice a 3rd type of play called.

Exactly. This is not Callahan installing an offense that he thinks would be effective. This is Callahan calling plays from an array of out of date route philosophies that already have been made into highlight reels for Green Bay, Seattle, Chicago, and Washington.
The difference has to be more effort, interest and commitment to running the ball so they don't have to rely on senseless running around while Tony waits for a sack, an interception, or one of his targets to eventually shake free.

If this offense still exists for this season, I'm hoping that it looks like the Norv Turner/Stephen Davis version. Strong running and play action.

mdawg65

Cheerleader
Reaction score
What does it hurt to say it? You think teams aren't going to see who's doing it the first game of preseason and have plenty of time to do whatever adjusting they have to do?

I guess if you wanted to take it to the extreme you could try to never say anything ever to the media in the name of "competitive advantage", but that's not realistic when you're talking about the Dallas Cowboys.

The competitive side of the NFL is not a courtesy room. It's not about what does it hurt? It's more about being vigil and doing the little things that make a difference in a game where two inches makes a difference.

No point to talking aobut your team. Funny how we bandy this around while media folks are talking about how Belichick will make sure that Tebow is not allowed to become a distraction to the Patriots because no one is going to get to talk about it.

Let's be honest here. The Dallas media is somewhat dysfuntional in their approach to this team. Getting a story is one thing, but making up stories is another.

Reaction score
Exactly. This is not Callahan installing an offense that he thinks would be effective. This is Callahan calling plays from an array of out of date route philosophies that already have been made into highlight reels for Green Bay, Seattle, Chicago, and Washington.
The difference has to be more effort, interest and commitment to running the ball so they don't have to rely on senseless running around while Tony waits for a sack, an interception, or one of his targets to eventually shake free.

If this offense still exists for this season, I'm hoping that it looks like the Norv Turner/Stephen Davis version. Strong running and play action.

I'd like to see that too ... I've wanted to see it for the past several years. But it all comes down to the OL.

The OL should be somewhat better this year, but I don't think they are even close to becoming a strength for this team.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The competitive side of the NFL is not a courtesy room. It's not about what does it hurt? It's more about being vigil and doing the little things that make a difference in a game where two inches makes a difference.

No point to talking aobut your team. Funny how we bandy this around while media folks are talking about how Belichick will make sure that Tebow is not allowed to become a distraction to the Patriots because no one is going to get to talk about it.

Let's be honest here. The Dallas media is somewhat dysfuntional in their approach to this team. Getting a story is one thing, but making up stories is another.
Like I said, I'm sure a lot of coaches would prefer to never say anything to the media ever. But that isn't realistic in this day and age, especially with this team. Why not keep it a secret who our MLB is going to me, or our LT, or whatever? Come on, everyone including our opponents knows those things. And it won't stop us from winning a single game.

Not sure what you meant about the media making up stories, though. This is a case where if you just admit the facts, no one has to speculate.

And in this case it sure seemed to be more about Garrett's pride than any competitive advantage. He didn't have a problem saying after the season last year that he would still call plays and pointing out how good the offense had been with him doing it. It was only when Jerry took his keys away that he got all secretive.

Reaction score
Like I said, I'm sure a lot of coaches would prefer to never say anything to the media ever. But that isn't realistic in this day and age, especially with this team. Why not keep it a secret who our MLB is going to me, or our LT, or whatever? Come on, everyone including our opponents knows those things. And it won't stop us from winning a single game.

Not sure what you meant about the media making up stories, though. This is a case where if you just admit the facts, no one has to speculate.

And in this case it sure seemed to be more about Garrett's pride than any competitive advantage. He didn't have a problem saying after the season last year that he would still call plays and pointing out how good the offense had been with him doing it. It was only when Jerry took his keys away that he got all secretive.

Exactly.

Don't confuse Ginger pouting with any form of gamesmanship. That fact that anyone gives him much that credit just shows how delusional fans are towards him for no reason at all.

Top Bottom