Reaction score
IRVING, Texas — The Dallas Cowboys' coaching staff is showing its age. And that's a good thing.

New defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, a spry 73, has been reunited with the 63-year-old Rod Marinelli. The two were part of a remarkable coaching staff in Tampa Bay for a decade, and they will try to replicate some of that success with the Cowboys. Kiffin is regarded as the architect of the famed "Tampa 2" defense. But these two men will essentially be co-defensive coordinators this season. All it takes is watching one practice to realize how prominent a role Marinelli will play.

Marinelli, who spent the past four seasons with the Bears after a disastrous run as head coach with Detroit, has quickly won the respect of his players. The Vietnam veteran has a "gimpy swagger" to him, according to head coach Jason Garrett. And Garrett was speaking in a literal sense, because Marinelli has a pronounced limp. In fact, I'd heard so many folks reference the limp that I asked Marinelli on Tuesday whether it was an old football injury. He politely deflected the question, saying "it does its thing, I do mine." And he's never discussed his one-year tour of duty in Vietnam, either.

During the organized team activities that have been open to the media, Marinelli's military influence has been easy to detect. He appears to be the most energetic coach on staff, and players appear to feed off his enthusiasm. Off the field, Marinelli is fairly soft-spoken. It's not likely he'll provide the juicy sound bites that Rob Ryan delivered on a weekly basis.

"He coached Warren Sapp, one of the best who ever did it," said Cowboys defensive lineman Jason Hatcher recently. "So every day I'm either texting him or asking him, 'Coach, how was today's practice? What do I need to work on?' He'll text me back and say either 'more get-off [or] better hands.' With a guy like that you soak up all you can for him. I'm looking forward to seeing how I play this year."

Players seemed to enjoy being around Ryan, but the utter lack of discipline that showed up in games was stunning. On several occasions, the defense couldn't get the correct number of players on the field. The Cowboys hope to simplify things by transitioning to a 4-3 scheme. And Marinelli wants to make it clear that everyone at the line of scrimmage needs to pressure the quarterback. He refers to defensive linemen as "rushmen." And he even changed the sign on his unit's meeting room to drive home the point.

"In the four-man front, you try to identify a position or men with one thing they got to be able to do, and that's that," Marinelli told reporters last month. "It's very clear. It's all part of what we are. We make sure we understand it and we just go on from there."

The Bears finished with 41 sacks and a league-leading 44 takeaways in 2012. Incidentally, five of those takeaways came in a win over the Cowboys. Garrett has done everything in his power to emphasize takeaways since taking over midway through the 2010 season, but the Cowboys have continued to lag in that area. It will be interesting to see how defensive ends Anthony Spencer and DeMarcus Ware perform with their hands on the ground. Too many times they were asked to drop back in coverage while playing outside linebacker. That will be a rare sight in this new scheme.

Former associates of Kiffin's and Marinelli's such as Mike Tomlin and Herm Edwards rave about the Cowboys' new assistants. Edwards has said that Marinelli will have the biggest impact on the Cowboys' defense. He's widely regarded as one of the best teachers of fundamentals in the league. And that's something the Cowboys desperately need. Marinelli says he asks himself the same question before he leaves for work every morning:

"How do I add value?" he told FOXSportsSouthwest.com. "I have a great passion for this game, and that passion is directed into my teaching. This is a special opportunity."

This is a destination job for both Kiffin and Marinelli, in part because they're nearing the end of their careers. But you wouldn't know it by watching them.

"I know they're old," said linebacker Justin Durant. "But you forget about that immediately when you're around them for a little bit.

Reaction score
I actually like Marinelli.

We're still gonna suck though. It'll be between Dallas and Philly for last in the division.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just love Jason Hatcher.

Every day after work I'm also texting my boss "Boss, how did I do today?"

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I actually like Marinelli.

We're still gonna suck though. It'll be between Dallas and Philly for last in the division.

Only if the Cowboys have another injury-plagued season. Sorry, I know you been beaten down with the Cowboys, but fact is, if all teams in the division are healthy, Dallas is still better. If we remain healthy, and if it holds true to form that Callahan will be doing the playcalling, and the 4-3 takes hold... not only are we playing for the division title, but most likely winning it.

Reaction score
Only if the Cowboys have another injury-plagued season. Sorry, I know you been beaten down with the Cowboys, but fact is, if all teams in the division are healthy, Dallas is still better. If we remain healthy, and if it holds true to form that Callahan will be doing the playcalling, and the 4-3 takes hold... not only are we playing for the division title, but most likely winning it.

I'm sorry but when did Callahan become some sort of offensive guru? He's been a fairly shitty coach for years. People just want anyone other than Garrett calling plays, but this isn't some amazing fix to me.

My statement is more based on schedule than anything. It's tough to predict which teams will be good, but if things go even remotely similar to last year, then we're in for some ridiculously hard games. I just don't see the Giants sucking again. I doubt the Redskins will fall off either.

The division is getting very competitive, and I just think some of these teams with an actual front office structure are finally starting to establish solid foundations for the long term.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I agree, Callahan is no great offensive guru. I don't even like him as a line coach.

Reaction score
I dont agree the team will suck like last year, UNLESS we have more than a few key player injuries.

I do agree we will be battling for 1st place in the NFC East.

Granted Callahan & Marinelli didnt live up to expectations as Head Coaches, I think they'll do well coaching their prospective positions.

As true Cowboys fans, I think we need to remain hopeful for a better 2013 season.

All it takes is a few good breaks & we COULD win it all in this new parity based league.

:thumbsup

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm sorry but when did Callahan become some sort of offensive guru? He's been a fairly shitty coach for years. People just want anyone other than Garrett calling plays, but this isn't some amazing fix to me.

I agree, Callahan is no great offensive guru. I don't even like him as a line coach.

Yeah you're both right. I mean Callahan in his 6 years as and OC and HC, he had FOUR top 10 offenses, including a #1 overall ranking. In addition, he led his team to the Super Bowl. I'm not saying Callahan is some guru, but YES, he has expereince and is better than Garrett.

My statement is more based on schedule than anything. It's tough to predict which teams will be good, but if things go even remotely similar to last year, then we're in for some ridiculously hard games. I just don't see the Giants sucking again. I doubt the Redskins will fall off either.

Well that's the thing though. Things don't hardly ever go "remotely" like the year before, otherwise, the Redskins would not have won the division, based on going "remotely' from the year prior. And once again, the Redskins are not that great, and they may be in bigger trouble if they try to rush Bob back too soon, which it appears they are doing just that. And I don't know what to make of the Giants.

As lousy as the Cowboys played and were coached, and as injury-plagued the Cowboys were, they still had a chance to win the division coming down to the final game.

The division is getting very competitive, and I just think some of these teams with an actual front office structure are finally starting to establish solid foundations for the long term.

LOL. The NFC East is weak. The way we used to make fun of the NFC West, is now exactly how the NFC East.

Top Bottom