UDFA
Reaction score
Cowboys' on-field concerns remain the same

June, 5, 2013
Jun 5

4:45

PM CT

By Dan Graziano | ESPNDallas.com

Our man Matt Williamson has graded each NFC team's offseason, and you can see all of the grades here Insider. I'll do a separate post on each of Matt's NFC East reviews, and I'll start with the Dallas Cowboys, who get a C. Matt liked the Cowboys' draft, writing that they "drafted good football players" and that the offensive draft picks in the early rounds will help diversify the offense around Tony Romo.

But overall, he thinks their free-agent losses outweigh the additions (of which they couldn't make many because of salary-cap concerns), and that their biggest 2013 question marks are basically the same as the ones that hurt them in 2012 and 2011 and 2010 -- the strength of the offensive and defensive lines:

Obviously the Cowboys' veteran "key losses" are far greater than their "key additions," but they did add quality through the draft. Still, their ability to consistently win at the line of scrimmage on offense and defense remains a concern.

And he's right, of course. The Cowboys are loaded with skill-position talent on both sides of the ball, but their ability to score points on offense will rise and fall on the ability of their offensive line to hold up better than it did last season. Poor offensive line play can completely sink an otherwise competent offense, and too often that's been the story for the Cowboys in recent years.

On the flip side, their defense is loaded with playmakers at linebacker and cornerback. And I actually think their starting four defensive linemen are very good. But any defensive line needs depth, and must rotate players in to keep its stars fresh as the season goes along, and the group behind DeMarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer, Jason Hatcher and Jay Ratliff is unproven. So I think that's what Matt sees when he writes that they could have used reinforcements there.

Ultimately, we'll find out. The Dallas lines could play better than expected, in which case they could have a great team. But as question-mark areas go, the line of scrimmage is not one around which most teams can work. Did the Cowboys do enough this offseason to get stronger there? It's hard to make the case that they did. Other than first-round pick Travis Frederick, the help is going to have to come from players they already had on the roster exceeding past performance and present expectations.

Reaction score
he thinks their free-agent losses outweigh the additions (of which they couldn't make many because of salary-cap concerns),

:wave

and that their biggest 2013 question marks are basically the same as the ones that hurt them in 2012 and 2011 and 2010 -- the strength of the offensive and defensive lines.

Spot on. Although I'd say depth all along a roster exposed by injuries hurt us. Which we addressed.

Now, I will say we've addressed the OL. 1st on Smith, then a 1st on Frederick two years later. Plus the free agent money spent - even if it wasn't well spent as they players didn't appear to be very good last year.

What I don't understand is our reluctance to properly address the defensive line.

I know we loved Bennie Logan, and it probably through us for a loop when he was taken before we got on the clock in the third. I can applaud the team for not forcing a pick and just taking a DL they didn't love. But still... this ignoring the line hasn't just been this year.

Crawford and Hatcher have been the only DL we've taken north of the third round since 2006. Contrast that to the Parcells era when we were taking DL regularly. Or how some of the more successfull teams are built. Giants, Steelers, Ravens, Patriots... all go after defensive lineman.

They're like an afterthought to us for some reason, and it doesn't make any sense to me.

Reaction score
Crawford and Hatcher have been the only DL we've taken north of the third round since 2006. Contrast that to the Parcells era when we were taking DL regularly. Or how some of the more successfull teams are built. Giants, Steelers, Ravens, Patriots... all go after defensive lineman.

They're like an afterthought to us for some reason, and it doesn't make any sense to me.
They must not be "wow" players for Jerry.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
To be fair I read graziano's chat from yesterday and he and espn dont really know our roster very well.

They had will Allen as a starting safety and basically were making assumptions based on the team that finished the game in Washington.

For instance, this is year two in callahan's system of running the line, it appears zone blocking will be used more if not completely, it's Callahan calling the offense....pollach was hired to run the line now Callahan wants it.

So you really can't make assumptions about the line right now because we have some players who were out all year last year, some who are in year two, added a legit center in Frederick and improved the skill positions at rb, wr, tight end.

Not that anyone is going to stop bitching on this site, but we have to wait and see this summer where this is going under Callahan before u can judge them.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
:wave

Spot on. Although I'd say depth all along a roster exposed by injuries hurt us. Which we addressed.

Now, I will say we've addressed the OL. 1st on Smith, then a 1st on Frederick two years later. Plus the free agent money spent - even if it wasn't well spent as they players didn't appear to be very good last year.

What I don't understand is our reluctance to properly address the defensive line.

I know we loved Bennie Logan, and it probably through us for a loop when he was taken before we got on the clock in the third. I can applaud the team for not forcing a pick and just taking a DL they didn't love. But still... this ignoring the line hasn't just been this year.

I imagine we bring in a veteran or two at defensive tackle this summer or when the countdowns happen. For now they want to see what they have. They know they have a good starting four and two good backups in lissemore and Crawford. That's 6 players.
It seems like they Wilber so that is 7, they signed Hargrove who can play end and tackle that's 8.

I am not sure how many we will carry to be honest. I imagine that could be the 8 or if we need and it appears we do need another tackle then 9.

We are going to be heavy numbers wise at safety and linebacker. Plus the dilemma of bw Webb. If your heavy at safety and linebacker how can you have 5 corners also?

It will be a fun camp I think.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
There are three certainties in life...

Death
Taxes
Theebs ironically bitching about people bitching.

I give up.

I just like to talk about football.

My interest in it is always twisted into bitching or whining.

I fucking give up.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The redskins schemed their way into turning a shitty offensive line into a pretty damn good one.

So it's possible...but I'm not holding my breath

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The only issue I have with this article is talking about our FA losses

All of them sucked.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
The redskins schemed their way into turning a shitty offensive line into a pretty damn good one.

because they had a QB who was a master at play action and a threat to run downfield on any play. that ain't us.

Reaction score

It's not so much the OL suddenly played well.

It's that they had an offense and a QB that kept the defense on its toes, not being able to fully commit to the passrush.

Reaction score
I give up.

I just like to talk about football.

My interest in it is always twisted into bitching or whining.

I fucking give up.
LOL

Talk away.

But there's no twisting going on here.

I like reading most of your posts... But then you get all drama queen and put something like, "everyone on this site hates the Cowboys" or some shit. That's what I fucking get tired of.

Top Bottom