Reaction score
IRVING, Texas -- Tuesday was one of those "only with the Dallas Cowboys" days.

Owner and general manager Jerry Jones implies offensive coordinator Bill Callahan will call plays in 2013. When Jones' comments are brought to Callahan not 25 minutes later, Callahan talks about the new responsibilities being an "honor."

"I'm flattered to be part of this and to take on the added responsibilities of calling the plays during the course of a game," Callahan said, holding a sandwich in one hand and a drink in the other.

And finally, the play-calling information is brought to coach Jason Garrett, who confirms nothing.

"We have a plan in place and continue to proceed," he said. "We just finished OTA Day 8 today, so that's what we're focused on and that's what we'll continue to focus on going forward. But we certainly have a plan. We've had a plan in place for some time."

It was all very Cowboys-ian.

Can there be any doubt as to why this franchise has won just one playoff game since 1996?

What happened Tuesday furthers the notion that Jones says and does what he wants no matter what it means for the head coach.

Yet Garrett does not believe Jones continues to threaten his authority inside the locker room.

Why?

"Because I know what I do each and every day in regards to the football team and I know how he and I work together and how this organization works and how well we work together and how well we communicate and how we come to decisions," Garrett said. "And then I know what I do when I get up in the morning when I come over here and I coach this football team."

They communicate well? At the Senior Bowl, Jones said he would like Garrett to give up the play-calling duties. Garrett said it's no big deal for him to continue to call plays. At the scouting combine, Jones said Garrett could continue to call plays. Garrett talked about working through the mechanics of the play calling.

And then there's the whole issue of Tony Romo's involvement with the offense. After Romo signed a six-year extension worth $108 million in March, Jones said Romo will spend "Peyton Manning time" with the coaches installing the offense and going through game plans. Garrett said there really is nothing different about Romo's involvement this year from previous seasons.

On Tuesday, Jones called it a "significant change in how much [Romo is] involved from the way it has been in the past."

As you can see, they communicate well.

At least Garrett and Callahan sounded as if they were on the same page when they discussed the collaboration it takes to put together a game plan.

"It's always been a team effort and will always be a team effort," Garrett said. "I think it's too difficult a job for one guy to say, 'Hey, I'm the playcaller. I put the whole playbook together, I put all the game plans together, I call the plays.' That's not the way we operate. That's not the way we have operated or will operate."

If it is a team effort and who calls the plays is not as important as what the plays are, Garrett just should have acknowledged Callahan's promotion.

Garrett did not do himself any favors by refusing to acknowledge Callahan's move to the role. Is he just being stubborn and holding out the hopes he will still call the plays? Is he just being stubborn to be stubborn?

The best part of Garrett's answer Tuesday is that he did not parrot his predecessor, Wade Phillips. When Phillips was presented with a question that began with "Jerry just said & " he would jokingly say, "Well, whatever Jerry says" -- which was the worst possible answer for a coach under an owner like Jones.

"I'm completely on board with all decisions we make," Garrett said. "We make collective decisions in this organization. We always have and we always will. There is no real advantage for us to reveal who's calling the plays explicitly and how we're going to do it in early June. It's just the way I feel about it."

One of the supposed pluses of Garrett's run as head coach is his ability to work with Jones. He knows how Jones works. He knows how to make things seem like Jones' idea when they weren't.

Maybe Garrett is on board with Callahan calling plays, but he's just sticking to his talking points as Jones once again swerves all over the road.

"Perception doesn't matter to me a whole lot," Garrett said. "Doing my job to the best of my ability matters the most."

But the owner hurts that ability far too often.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...alling-debacle-makes-jason-garrett-look-clown

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
yep.

When parcells showed up and jerry used to go on with norm on tuesday and friday and then repeat whatever bill said the day before bascially verbatim were the best times.

one voice. Jerry never broke that deal until the owens thing, then he started saying what he wanted in 06.

then in 07 when he hired wade the two of them had a good time goofing on parcells.

then the two of them wrecked the place.

now he has a guy trying to take control and keep things in house and jerry just has no care in the world. Its like he is beyond power hungry, attention seeking etc.. and really is just about as dumb as you can get by causing these constant silly issues.

I love the way garrett handled himself yesterday, That was a big win to me for garrett even though everyone is spinning it the other way today....had that been wade phillips or some other spineless coach they would have been crushed, garrett won back the room.

good sign.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Garrett winning back the room doesn't do anything for us that matters.

The players know the deal.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score

we will see.

He may turn out to be an excellent guy in charge with assitants running the individual units.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Garrett has evolved into a desperate little "yes man" who will put up with any amount of crap and humiliation in order to hang on to his job.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Garrett has evolved into a desperate little "yes man" who will put up with any amount of crap and humiliation in order to hang on to his job.

or maybe he helped make hard decisions to try and change the results that were not accomplishing what they set out to do.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
or maybe he helped make hard decisions to try and change the results that were not accomplishing what they set out to do.

Well let's see: they forced his brother out; they took away his play-calling duties; and Charlotte looked like she had more authority/input in the draft room than the head coach. Other than that he's had a fantastic off-season.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well let's see: they forced his brother out; they took away his play-calling duties; and Charlotte looked like she had more authority/input in the draft room than the head coach. Other than that he's had a fantastic off-season.

I guess we will find out.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

No kidding. Why does it matter if the press likes him? There's no doubt they do and are rooting for him, but I don't see why that makes a difference on the field.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
No kidding. Why does it matter if the press likes him? There's no doubt they do and are rooting for him, but I don't see why that makes a difference on the field.

Im sorry, I had an opinion.

I liked how he handled yesterday, it was very parcells like from start to finish.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

Because homers imagine the eeeevil media to have all sorts of powers they don't possess, like impeding the success of the team. Shills like it when Garrett plays it close to the vest or outright lies because they see the press as the enemy.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I liked how he handled yesterday, it was very parcells like from start to finish.

It was more Wade-ish than Parcells-ish.

Making the funny at the end about that crazy boss of his was not something Parcells would do or need to do.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It was more Wade-ish than Parcells-ish.

Making the funny at the end about that crazy boss of his was not something Parcells would do or need to do.

Its something he did all the time. He would give them nothing and then go into story mode then throw some sarcasm around.

phil simms has said that parcells liked kevin costner- tim robbins thing from bull durham about learning your cliches and making them your friend and repeating them...

if that is incorrectly handled, the way wade phillips did repeatedly in his time here it turns into an enormous issue. The way it was handled yesterday will basically slow it down to the point that when we get to camp it probably wont be that big of a deal.

it was handled really well.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

He does handle the press well and they obviously like him (one guy even had the sympathetic, "I can't imagine how hard it is for you to read that your job could be in jeopardy, how do you possibly handle that?"). And that helps the local people write and say good things about him.

The whole tone wasn't the press going after him, it was going after Jerry: "How do you cope with such a crazy boss?"

I just don't see why it matters on the field.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He does handle the press well, they obviously like him (one guy even had the sympathetic, "I can't imagine how hard it is for you to read that your job could be in jeopardy, how do you possibly handle that?")... And that helps the local people write and say good things about him. I just don't see why it matters on the field.

fine.

you have wanted him and the team to fail since before he was hired.

No point in having any discussions, you are going to shit on everything we do and have. You even said you were considering rooting for a new team a few weeks ago, which imo you probably should since you dislike everything about the team so much.

I dont get why people who have so much hate for the team continue to root for and spend so much time seeking info on them..

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Oh good God. I don't hate everything about the team. I wouldn't be here if I did.

I think we have a ton of good players. The whole reason Garrett (and Jerry) frustrates me is because I think we have the talent to do some things and we don't play to our potential or even close to it.

Why is it that it's fine to hate Campo or Gailey or Phillips but we're supposed to love Jason Garrett? What makes him so special?

And I'll say it again, I had nothing against the guy when he was hired. I was happy when I heard he was hired because I remember thinking "Good, Jerry only knows his old Arky/Okie buddies, now some of "his" young guys are finally getting old enough to be hired." And Garrett had a good rep, supposedly.

But as I've watched him here, I don't like the job he's done. As you said, sorry for having that opinion.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
But as I've watched him here, I don't like the job he's done. As you said, sorry for having that opinion.

If he really went to Princeton University then he cheated his way through. Everyone knows you don't ice your own kicker, call timeouts for the other team, let valuable time run off the clock before you call a timeout for team, and abandon things when they're working during games. Every other coach would have to try to be that stupid. He just does it naturally.

Reaction score
we will see.

He may turn out to be an excellent guy in charge with assitants running the individual units.

I think he has that potential.

But it's going to be hard for him to deal with Jerry. Totally contrasting styles.

Top Bottom