ScipioCowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yes, it's a video. But it's a good one.

[video=youtube;4SNVx7Nl65M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SNVx7Nl65M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Ebaumsworld weirdly had a video called Fiat End Game or something like that. Have you seen that?

I'm not huge on monetary shit like that so I have no clue if the video was bogus or good. You seem to have a grasp so I was wondering what your take was.

Provided you had seen it. Seemed like a promo video for a company in a way.

Reaction score
Is this a two and a half minute video that is going to convince me that low interest rates is NOT good?

Because I'm pretty sure it is good.

ScipioCowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Is this a two and a half minute video that is going to convince me that low interest rates is NOT good?

Because I'm pretty sure it is good.

The video explains the respective consequences of high and low interest rates. With low interest rates, you get more spending now at the expense of spending in the future.

ScipioCowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Ebaumsworld weirdly had a video called Fiat End Game or something like that. Have you seen that?

I'm not huge on monetary shit like that so I have no clue if the video was bogus or good. You seem to have a grasp so I was wondering what your take was.

Provided you had seen it. Seemed like a promo video for a company in a way.

We've vacillated between fiat and hard currencies at various times in our country's past. The argument for fiat currency is that economic downturns aren't as severe. Of course, economic upturns generally aren't as prosperous either.

We went off the Bretton Woods Gold Standard in 1971. The periods between 1971-1982 and 2000-2012 saw very poor productivity growth from a historical standpoint. Some people use these periods to demonstrate the shortcomings of fiat system. That's fair. On the flip side the period between 1983-2000 saw good productivity growth...but there's a caveat: Reagan, Bush I, and Clinton were all proponents of a strong dollar. People get caught up in Rs and Ds, but it's not always so simple. Reagan and Clinton were very similar in their management of the economy. During their administrations, even though we weren't technically on a gold standard, the value of the dollar tracked very closely to gold.

Conversely, Bush II and Obama both favor a weak dollar as a means of making our exports more attractive to foreign buyers. Consequently, the dollar doesn't track well with gold.

Last edited:

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
The real issue with low interest rates are if you are saving money. You aren't making a dime from it in the bank anymore. My guess is that is why the stock market is doing as well as it is. Money in a bank is barely collecting more interest than just stuffing it in your mattress.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
We've vacillated between fiat and hard currencies at various times in our country's past. The argument for fiat currency is that economic downturns aren't as severe. Of course, economic upturns generally aren't as prosperous either.

We went off the Bretton Woods Gold Standard in 1971. The periods between 1971-1982 and 2000-2012 saw very poor productivity growth from a historical standpoint. Some people use these periods to demonstrate the shortcomings of fiat system. That's fair. On the flip side the period between 1983-2000 saw good productivity growth...but there's a caveat: Reagan, Bush I, and Clinton were all proponents of a strong dollar. People get caught up in Rs and Ds, but it's not always so simple. Reagan and Clinton were very similar in their management of the economy. During their administrations, even though we weren't technically on a gold standard, the value of the dollar tracked very closely to gold.

Conversely, Bush II and Obama both favor a weak dollar as a means of making our exports more attractive to foreign buyers. Consequently, the dollar doesn't track well with gold.

Thanks for the reply.

Top Bottom