cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Cowboys' Brandon Carr: After watching Matt Johnson practice, 'I can kind of see what all the hype was about'

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...n-kind-of-see-what-all-the-hype-was-about.ece

Staff Reports

Staff Reports The Dallas Morning News
Published: 25 May 2013 12:03 PM

Updated: 25 May 2013 12:03 PM
Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr recently joined Ben & Skin on 105.3 The Fan. Here are some highlights:

On which defensive player might unexpectedly make a big impact this season:

“It was injuries last year. I feel Barry Church was on his way to making a name for himself. He’s coming off the injury and looking explosive, looking just as good. Also, Matt Johnson is back off his injuries and is out there playing. I can see his range as a safety. I can kind of see what all the hype was about him coming out of college last year.”

On B.W. Webb:

“We talk. We hang out. I’m all about getting everybody on the same page. The rookies, I don’t treat them no different than other veteran guys. I try to get guys together and do things just so we can get the camaraderie and the chemistry together because that helps us on the field. From what I see from him on the field just his raw talent, he’s a quick guy. He works well in the slot. He’s a competitor. He’s not afraid of any challenge out there so the sky’s the limit for that guy. I’m just real interested to see him progress as we continue our OTA’s”

On if the new defense will put him in a situation to make more plays:

“I hope so. We’re Day 3 of OTA’s. Next week, we’ll kind of turn it up another notch. But things have been going well. We’re just learning schemes and learning where everybody is on the field just learning terminology and trying to get a feel on how each other plays. We have some new faces in there. There is different chemistry so we just have to gel together. From the looks of it, this is a type of defense I can insert myself into and make some plays.”

Reaction score
I confess... I had a moment of unbridled optomism when I read Carrs comments on Church and Johnson.

ScipioCowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I confess... I had a moment of unbridled optomism when I read Carrs comments on Church and Johnson.

Same here.

Over recent history, the Cowboys have tried addressing their safety problems via free agency by signing mid-tier players such as Ken Hamlin, Gerald Sensabaugh, Abram Elam, and Brodney Pool. This is the first time in awhile they've had two homegrown talents vying for both starting spots.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Just wish both weren't small school gambles. One maybe but two?

Will Allen fits the mold of journeymen you mentioned. Danny McCray is awful. Barry Church is still mostly hype and hope.

Reaction score
Im one that likes to TRY to remain positive at all times in all situations.

However, being a die hard Cowboys fan for many years has taught me to take off the Rose Colored Glasses when it comes to media driven hype.

Lets hope Carr's comments are honest gut feelings and not him trying to earn that overpriced contract Jerry too easily gave him.

:whistle

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you are starving and someone hands you a Saltine,you tend to overvalue its actual worth because you are starving. But Saltine crackers are still not steak. If Ed Reed and Dashon Goldson were on the team, I think we would all feel a little silly about Messianic Matt Johnson or any of the current Saltines at Safety, just because of contrast.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm skeptical Carr has ever seen good safety play given where he's played thus far in his career.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm skeptical Carr has ever seen good safety play given where he's played thus far in his career.

I have come to the conclusion that Carr just likes to talk to the media. Since day one as a Cowboy, he has stayed in the news with his comments. I guess the Chiefs media coverage sucked and he likes the attention he gets in Dallas.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He had Eric Berry in KC so I will have to disagree.

Well, Eric Berry struggled through the first half of his rookie year before making some plays, got hurt his second season and has been far from amazing since.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Well, Eric Berry struggled through the first half of his rookie year before making some plays, got hurt his second season and has been far from amazing since.

Again, do not agree.

Except the injury part, that was accurate.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah since getting in the league Berry has kind of been a non-playmaker. Everyone gloats about how he can match up 1 on 1 and cover WRs and TEs but he doesn't make a ton of plays, which sometimes is just luck, too. Kind of the Kenny Vaccaro of the NFL.

Top Bottom