Reaction score
http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/new-jersey-bars-raided

29 New Jersey Bars Raided for Selling Cheapest Liquor in Top-Shelf Bottles
May 24, 2013 at 7:59AM by Zoe Bain

If you're splurging and going for the good stuff in your cocktail, make sure that's what you're actually drinking. Some bars in New Jersey were recently busted for serving the cheapest alcohols at top-shelf prices.

According to The Star-Ledger, 29 New Jersey bars and restaurants were raided on Thursday after suspicions were raised that they were passing off cheap alcohol as higher-end varieties. The establishments included 13 TGI Fridays, one Ruby Tuesday, and one Applebee's. Bars and restaurants would refill the empty bottles of expensive alcohol with cheaper brands. Even worse, NBC News reports that one of the establishments reportedly used caramel-colored rubbing alcohol in place of scotch.

The authorities found a suitable name for the year-long inquiry: "Operation Swill." The investigation ultimately found that the bars in question were purposely swindling customers to make a higher profit.

The Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control started the inquiry after receiving complaints. Confidential informants were later established and detectives used new technology to secretly test the alcohol at the bars included in the investigation.

Will you think twice before you order top-shelf liquor at a bar?

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
That's pathetic. I'm not a alcohol user anymore, but they're already overcharging for beers as it is. That's just low.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm sure it can happen in any kind of restaurant, but I generally don't eat (or drink) at those places anyway.
Though I do know a lot of people gnashing their teeth over it.

Maybe it's just a matter of time before we find out even the expensive places do it. Everybody's trying to cut costs and the food service industry has to do something to keep up.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
They're still scumbags for doing that to people.
How the hell do you drink rubbing alcohol and not get sick?

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
The bars themselves may not have any idea. This is a huge bartender trick.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My brother, who recently moved from Manhattan to Queens, just took us all to the TGIF in Fridays. He said he hated going to such a commercial establishment but they had the best deals on drinks near his new apartment. Now we know why.

In the city we went to several bars with decent prices. I was fond of one bar called Barcelona's.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My brother is "frugal". Then again, he's half-Jewish.

Not cool I know. I tell him the same thing.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Sure. I'd have no problem being Jewish. It's just something I like to f with my brother about. The guy isn't religious at all, neither is his father or grandparents, so my personal experience with Judaism is really just movies and bad stereotypes like the one I made earlier.

Reaction score
They're still scumbags for doing that to people.
How the hell do you drink rubbing alcohol and not get sick?

Thats the 1st thing I wondered. Rubbing Alcohol is not safe to drink.

The labels should even say 'Not for consumption'.

At least they USED TO say that on the bottles label years ago.

:no

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
The bars themselves may not have any idea. This is a huge bartender trick.

I think you have this backwards. What would the bartender have to gain from doing this? If anything, he'd be hurting himself. Serve shitty drinks, tips go down. The owners would be the ones profiting.

Top Bottom