Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
jmachota@dallasnews.com
7:00 am on May 15, 2013 |

Last October, wide receiver Jared Green watched the Dallas Cowboys defeat his Carolina Panthers 19-14. Green, who was on Carolina’s practice squad, wasn’t playing in the game, but he was thinking about how things might have been different had he signed with the Cowboys, another team that showed interest in him following the 2012 NFL Draft.

After not getting any playing time during his first year in the NFL, the undrafted rookie free agent out of Southern University got a second chance to join the Cowboys in January.

At that point, not even his father’s 20-year Hall of Fame career with the rival Washington Redskins could prevent him from signing to the Cowboys’ reserve/future list.

“I’m proud to be a Dallas Cowboy,” Green recently said.

Green was six-years-old when the Cowboys won their last Super Bowl. He said he watched that game wearing a Michael Irvin jersey. Not a big deal for some, but a pretty significant clothing choice considering his father is Darrell Green.

Yes, the cornerback that battled against Irvin for 12 seasons, reaching seven Pro Bowls along the way. The former rivals on the field are actually good friends. Jared says he has learned a lot about the wide receiver position from Irvin, someone he recently discussed football with over dinner.

“Learning from him from the receiver aspect and learning from my father at the DB aspect, you really can’t get any better than that,” Jared said. “I just feel very blessed and humble to be able to be raised by a hall of famer and to have close relationships to hall of famers.”

Jared was on the field for last weekend’s rookie minicamp at Valley Ranch, and the 6-1, 185-pounder’s speed and route running stood out. He should be a player to watch in training camp, competing with Cole Beasley and Danny Coale for the fifth receiver spot.

And if he was to make the 53-man roster it would certainly provide some interesting story lines when the Cowboys play the Redskins.

The 24-year-old, who recalled watching the movie “Little Giants” as a youth and actually dreaming of one day wearing the star on his helmet, had such a soft spot for the Cowboys that he said when the Redskins would play Dallas in the 1990s, he wouldn’t pull for either team, instead, focusing on what his dad and Irvin were doing.

“I just had so much admiration for Michael Irvin and for my dad, I really wasn’t even rooting for a certain team,” Jared said. “I just had so much fun watching them go against each other.”

Jared expects his father to have a difficult time cheering for the Redskins if his son’s wearing a Cowboys uniform this season. Could that possibly mean Darrell would also don the blue and silver?

Jared seems to think so.

“It would only make sense that a proud dad would wear his son’s jersey,” Jared said. “Any fan or any spectator should appreciate that.”

Follow Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota

Reaction score
Sort of off topic, but how many great players have kids that end up being worth a shat?

Walter Paytons kid sucked but I think spent some time in the league.
Michael Jordans kid sucked and quit his college team I think.
Joe Montana's kid sucks, but is getting a camp invite to the 9'ers.
Anthony Munoz's kid started strong at the University of Tennessee, but ended up having depression and didn't want to play.
Chris Carters kid worked out for Minnesota as an UDFA but wasn't signed.

Outside of the Matthews clan... have their been strong father son NFL careers?

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
Sort of off topic, but how many great players have kids that end up being worth a shat?

Walter Paytons kid sucked but I think spent some time in the league.
Michael Jordans kid sucked and quit his college team I think.
Joe Montana's kid sucks, but is getting a camp invite to the 9'ers.
Anthony Munoz's kid started strong at the University of Tennessee, but ended up having depression and didn't want to play.
Chris Carters kid worked out for Minnesota as an UDFA but wasn't signed.

Outside of the Matthews clan... have their been strong father son NFL careers?

Howie Long / Chris Long
Kellen Winslow / The Solja
Don Hasselbeck / Tim Hasselbeck / Matt Hasselbeck
Ron Springs / Shawn Springs

Oh, and those Manning fellas. Can't remember their names, tho'.

Reaction score
Can't believe the Mannings slipped my mind.

I don't think Winslow belongs.

And I never even heard of Don Hasselbeck..... :errr

Isn't Barry Sanders kid a stud high schooler right now?

Reaction score
Theres a couple of families that have a lot of NFL ties....

The Longs, the Matthews, and even the Geathers. I think a bunch of cousins or shit are/have played in the league.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I figured he'd hate the Cowboys for watching them always torch his father.

Darrell Green was an overrated played who was NEVER a shut down corner. He was a good player and a great athlete, but he couldn't cover Irvin even if Mike wore concrete shoes.

He owned him every damn time they played one another.

At least Aeneas Williams and Bobby Taylor actually did win some battles vs Irvin. But Green? He's still trying to figure out how to cover him.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Isnt that Jim Jeffcoats kid at texas? Isnt he pretty highly regarded?

Reaction score
Speaking of Irvin.... his kids looked like pudgy lazy turds during his Hall of Fame speech.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Not many corners could cover Irvin.

No, they couldn't.

But Aeneas Williams and Bobby Taylor actually would get the best of Irvin every now and again. But Green was his bitch all the time.

My point is that Green was an overrated player who never dominated a game from the corner position. He has no business in the HOF.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Isn't Barry Sanders kid a stud high schooler right now?

He redshirted at Stanford. He is about to put up big numbers with all of the NFL caliber O Linemen they have recruited the last two years.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No, they couldn't.

But Aeneas Williams and Bobby Taylor actually would get the best of Irvin every now and again. But Green was his bitch all the time.

My point is that Green was an overrated player who never dominated a game from the corner position. He has no business in the HOF.

He had some huge games against Aeneas Williams

Taylor had alot of help in his games.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
He had some huge games against Aeneas Williams

Taylor had alot of help in his games.

Oh yea, Mike was the man and he got the best of everyone he faced.

But he had some good battles with those two whereas he pretty much did whatever he wanted with Green.

Reaction score
Cris Carter's kid is an idiot(Durant). Academic and attitude problems at O.S.U.

Barber twins weren't entirely bad.

Top Bottom