C

Cr122

Taylor: I wouldn't be surprised if Doug Free made the Pro Bowl this season

11:35 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 8, 2010
By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News
jjtaylor@dallasnews.com
Each week, Jean-Jacques Taylor answers questions from Cowboys fans in his Cowboys newsletter. Here are some highlights from this week's newsletter (the entire newsletter can be viewed here):

Q . I believe Doug Free will have an excellent season and will surprise a lot of people. My gut tells me he might even have a shot to play at the Pro Bowl. In addition to his physical ability, he's intelligent. Last year he played well. I would have started him over Colombo against Minnesota. Your thoughts.

Ramon Martinez, Puerto Rico

TAYLOR : That's why I wasn't worried about getting rid of Flozell Adams. We've seen nothing on the field to suggest Free won't play well. I expect him to play well, and I wouldn't be surprised if he made the Pro Bowl, either. He's such a good athlete that the Cowboys should be able to consistently attack the perimeter on sweeps and tosses to his side.

Q. With rosters about to get cut down across the NFL, I say the single most important point of focus for the Cowboys should be acquiring a veteran backup center. Agree or disagree?

Ami Heda

TAYLOR : I agree, but the Cowboys aren't interested in spending any money, so that's not going to happen. Kyle Kosier has never done it in the NFL, and Phil Costa is an undrafted free agent. If Andre Gurode goes down, this offense will have a myriad of problems.

Q. If the preseason is about individual growth, then the Texans game showed me no growth in the last year at quarterback.

Shorty Pettit, Minot ND

TAYLOR: Shorty, you should know better. Romo had 26 touchdowns and nine interceptions last year. He proved he's a good quarterback, and he will be a good quarterback this season. Romo really works on his game and tries to improve on specific aspects of it each year. I'm interested to what type of progress he'll make this season.

Q. Can you give us some insight and thoughts on David Buehler?

James Stockbridge Georgia

TAYLOR : Buehler had a solid preseason and an outstanding final game of the season. He's such a weapon with his kickoffs that the Cowboys wanted him to win the job badly. He made a winning field goal in the Miami game and drilled a kick from 51. The problem, of course, is that he's never done it in the NFL. He has no track record because he didn't have many pressure kicks the year he handled those duties as USC. He had about as strong a preseason as possible. Now, it's time to see what he can do when the lights come on.

• • •

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me to see Free in it either. The guy is talented and plays with a nasty disposition.

I can't believe that idiot is talking about the Texans game. Did he not see the Miami game? McGee looked awesome.

C

Cr122

It wouldn't surprise me to see Free in it either. The guy is talented and plays with a nasty disposition.

I can't believe that idiot is talking about the Texans game. Did he not see the Miami game? McGee looked awesome.

Free is our future, and he proved he could play last year, let's just hope he plays well at left tackle this year.

I'm sure he will.

Reaction score
I like Free . . . I think he's our LT for the next 5+ years.

But offensive likeman don't make the Pro Bowl until they build a name and or reputation. Right now, Free is an relative unknown outside of Dallas.

In fact . . . most fans only hear about Doug Free when Jamie Dukes is talking out his ass on NFL Total Access.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I like Free . . . I think he's our LT for the next 5+ years.

But offensive likeman don't make the Pro Bowl until they build a name and or reputation. Right now, Free is an relative unknown outside of Dallas.

In fact . . . most fans only hear about Doug Free when Jamie Dukes is talking out his ass on NFL Total Access.

Free shut down Orakpo on both occasions last year.

Top Bottom