VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Gun control legislation in Washington is moving at a snail’s pace, if at all, but technological developments are moving at a much faster one.

The world’s first gun made mostly with a 3D printer has been test fired and now you can buy 3D printers at Staples SPLS +2.59%. Soon blueprints to print a 3D gun in a garage will be available online.

We are on the verge of entering an era in which governments across the world may not be able to control the supply of guns. This has profound political, cultural, social, and law enforcement implications.

Buying a printer and supplies is not difficult either. Staples, the ubiquitous office supply chain, announced that it will carry a 3D printer. Staples’ initial supplier is 3D Systems DDD +8.25% and Staples is starting out by carrying 3D System’s Cube 3D printer. This printer is priced at $1,299. It appears on the surface that printing a gun with this printer will be difficult, but it is a matter of time before technology gets better and makes it possible for gun printing on a $1,000 printer. Defense Distributed used a 3D printer costing $8,000 bought on eBay.

Irrespective of which side of the gun debate you are on, there is no denying that there is a dark side to being able to buy the printer and supplies to make a gun from Staples or eBay. Senator Charles Schumer reacted to the 3D printed gun by calling for outlawing 3D technology for printing weapons. Proponents will claim that guns protect freedom and the 3D printing of guns promotes this. Think of the potential, however, in a country with a tyrannical government where freedom like ours has to be fought for. As hard as governments may try, the genie is out of the bottle. In my view, governments across the globe will try but fail to curb the spread of this new technology.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nigamarora/2013/05/06/3d-printed-guns-stir-up-governments-shoot-air-into-3d-printing-bubble/

MetalHead

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I want one...I don't need it,but last time I checked,it is the Bill of Rights,not the bill of Needs.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
You can check out their site.

Defcad.com I think.

The guy who runs it kind of seems like a dickhead. Said he's more of an anarchist than anything.....or something like that, paraphrasing a bit.

Seems like his whole intent is to do it because he knows it will create attention but that's kind of my take.

3D printing is gonna be insane. I'd bet copyright lawyers shoot through the roof in the coming years. I've seen that they've printed houses with large 3D printers and concrete. I think Invisalign is 3D printed. I've seen some videos about research facilities trying to 3D print new organs.

It's gonna be huge.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I hope it can finally build a realistic pussy. I'm getting lonely.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I've been looking at videos of the guy who's behind the current push. Or at least the guy who's getting the most recognition.

This guy must be big on Alex Jones. He's made quite a few appearances on his show.

Here's a short episode by VICE.

One thing I heard the guy say in his videos is that he's using old ass technology to do all his stuff. His printer is from the 1990s, or so he said. He said this in one of his Alex Jones videos but the printer he shows off in the video looks a little newer. Maybe he was referring to a different printer who knows. His point was he's using limited resources and someone with better equipment that is available could probably print more intricate and durable materials.

That was one of the other things I've heard him say about his project. His materials can't withstand the force of a high powered rifle so he's limited to certain parts.

[video=youtube;DconsfGsXyA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DconsfGsXyA[/video]

Top Bottom