Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
There seems to be lots of optimism and talk of Escobar pulling Dallas closer to New England in terms of TE production. Well, lots of optimism from some at CZ and those who buy into the bullshit that Dallas is feeding them. The same exact bullshit that they spewed when they drafted Bennett.

I shit you not the exact same stuff.

That offense will likely include a lot of tight end-love (wow, that sounds dirty) for the opposition, a manifestation of the team's thoughts on Bennett on draft day two years ago, when Jerry Jones remarked that they brought Bennett in, not as a back-up, but to add "a new dimension to the offense."

“The bottom line is, we all see what a tremendous weapon he is and can be,” Jones said. “His blocking is really as impressive as his ability to be a big target for Romo. I’m confident he sees that. He’s extremely smart. He can get it. I think focus would be the word.

“No one wants to catch the ball more than he does. The good news is he can catch it and he can go high and catch it, which is a big item. He’s got a 41-inch vertical and he has long arms and if the ball is right, he should be an effective weapon. You combine that with his blocking, as we look ahead, I’m glad we’ve got him as we move on to where we’re trying to get to as the season goes along.”

“When you evaluate a player both from a standpoint of skill or a standpoint of the other intangibles when you see him do it, then you know he can do it. We’ve seen Martellus do everything that it takes to be an All-Pro football player. We’ve seen that happen. Now just like any real accomplished player, athlete, boxer or whatever, he’s got to make it part of his every day makeup. If he does, he’ll be a great player for the Cowboys.”

But in the end, why didn't it work? For as dumb assed Bennett was accused of being, he knew:

But whatever do you mean, Marty? What would need to be changed? Props to theebs for this little tidbit.

[video=youtube;XqPC22gkLLU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqPC22gkLLU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

"Don't get the ball thrown at you once....and all you do is block, block, block".

In the next few days I will compare Dallas 1.5TE set to the New England 2TE set. I plan on looking at a couple of different aspects but first I will start with how often each guy is even on the field.

Here's comparison of the 3 years that New England has had Gronk/Hernandez and the 4 seasons that Dallas had Witten and Bennett.

This is percentage of snaps played by each guy. I dug up PFFs count of plays that each guy has played in. Taken from the number of snaps that they could have possibility played by being in the game. Injuries are completely taken out of the equation. Missed time does not count against the players. When they were available to play, here is how often they were on the field.

The only thing that DOES count is if a guy starts a game and doesn't finish that game. If you get hurt in the first quarter, the rest of those snaps in the game are still counted. Gronk started a couple of games and came out after minimal snaps. The last two games combined he's credited with 32 of 147 snaps. Hernandez is down for 4 snaps out of 82 snaps during week 2.

48317fb3-a73b-47f6-8029-59722ce049b2.jpg

If you actually factor into those games where those guy went out early and remove their snaps from those games as well as the snaps they are docked, both guy's percentages would be higher. Gronk would be over 92% and Hernandez would be over 83%. But, it really doesn't matter either way because the difference between how New England uses TEs just based on how often their guys are on the field as a percentage of their entire team's snaps is so huge to start with.

Dallas on the other had, had Marty on the field for less than 50% of the time during his career in Dallas.

If Dallas is going to be a true 2TE set, the #2 has to be on the field well more than they ever put Marty out there. You can't say you run a 2TE offense if you really don't use it more than half the time. You certainly can't justify good picks to run it less than half the time. An OL will be out there every down.

Reaction score
Can you pull up the type of targets Bennett received. Iirc all they gave him was double screens and te throwbacks. And Escobar isn't known as a YAC guy. He seems more like a #1 TE for the Browns or something.

Reaction score
Should be an interesting thread. Thanks Hoof.

Couple of things... when was that Bennett interview from?

He mentions going hard and giving all during practice, but did he really? I know it was his rookie year, but he really didn't come off as a practice guy during Hard Knocks. Also had a reputation for being kinda lazy at A&M as well.

Thought the coaches came out and made mention of we couldn't do a lot that we wanted to because of his lack of effort, or him not picking things up.

Reaction score
If you're going to use 2 TE on a large percentage of snaps, then you're going to spend a lot of time with 1 or 2 WR on the field. I don't think Garrett wants to spend a lot of time doing that.

Makes the Escobar and Williams picks look even more questionable.

Reaction score
If you're going to use 2 TE on a large percentage of snaps, then you're going to spend a lot of time with 1 or 2 WR on the field. I don't think Garrett wants to spend a lot of time doing that.

Yeah, that's one thing I especially didn't like. After we made the Pablo pick, I posted that I hoped we wouldn't draft a WR then because it seemed to kill the need. Once we did anyways, it became really confusing.

I get that he (Williams) was probably BPA there in our eyes, but still.... We're building the team the wrong way.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Exactly. There's still only one football to go around. And any OC worth anything is going to get the ball to his best players. Where will Escobar rank this year? Behind Witten and Dez for sure. Behind Murray. Probably behind Miles.

So no matter how much this magical 2-TE formation is touted, that second TE is still a complementary piece.

Good work though, Hoof. Have to notice that 2009 when Bennett got over 50% snaps was our best year in, well, forever. Why didn't he play more in 2010 or 11, anyone remember? Don't remember him being hurt, was he?

And not to put you to any more work, but do you know how much Fasano was used in 2007?

Reaction score
2 TE-sets also could help the running game. I watched a few Patriot games last year and their running game was great. You need two all around TEs to run it. I think that is what Garrett is hoping for. I also think Gavin is the eventual successor to Witten.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
2 TE-sets also could help the running game. I watched a few Patriot games last year and their running game was great. You need two all around TEs to run it. I think that is what Garrett is hoping for. I also think Gavin is the eventual successor to Witten.
The Pats run the ball because they have a good O-line. You can't add one TE -- and a marginal blocking one at that -- to a crap blocking front and magically run the ball where you couldn't before.

Reaction score

You think well still run so much draw though? Its great that it spreads everything out but its so damn predictable. Romo is such an overactor

Reaction score
The Pats run the ball because they have a good O-line. You can't add one TE -- and a marginal blocking one at that -- to a crap blocking front and magically run the ball where you couldn't before.

Really depends on how teams choose to play the Cowboys. Who are you going to use to cover Witten and Gavin? Generally if you go with smaller quicker guys, it should open up the running game. If you want to find the #1 reason why the offense struggled last season, it was because of the running game. Gavin can improve with his blocking much like Witten did over the years. He has a great teacher to learn from.

Reaction score
You think well still run so much draw though? Its great that it spreads everything out but its so damn predictable. Romo is such an overactor

It didn’t seem to work that well last season, not sure why. I think the middle of the line is so poor, they couldn’t even sell the draws.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Bennett is a fucking loser. We know that. It's perfectly plausible that his snap count was down bc he's retarded.

With that said, I completely agree that it's hard to imagine Escobar and Williams both getting signifant snaps together. Not enough room for both of them. That is a bit perplexing.

If you're running a base 12 formation, Williams isn't on the field. If you're running 3 wide, Esco isn't on the field. It does provide is with depth though. Something we definitely don't have. If Witten, Dez, or Austin can't play, we didnt have any viable options effort last week. We are in a better position now in that circumstance.

Reaction score
I think Coale, Cole, Harris, and TWill is a strong CORE.

All done with nice scouting and whatnot. Makes me upset they wasted so much money on Miles. Hes nothing special. We couldve replaced him the above group and used all that money on so many upgrades on the line.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Should be an interesting thread. Thanks Hoof.

Couple of things... when was that Bennett interview from?

He mentions going hard and giving all during practice, but did he really? I know it was his rookie year, but he really didn't come off as a practice guy during Hard Knocks. Also had a reputation for being kinda lazy at A&M as well.

Thought the coaches came out and made mention of we couldn't do a lot that we wanted to because of his lack of effort, or him not picking things up.

March 2010. Here's the full interview.

[video=youtube;xVae78Tu_aU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVae78Tu_aU[/video]

Reaction score
It didn’t seem to work that well last season, not sure why. I think the middle of the line is so poor, they couldn’t even sell the draws.

I feel like there wasn't enough pure draw plays called last year. I barely saw the amount that they used other years. The shotgun drawplay not included - that play was just stupid and often clumsy. But the drawplay from under center would be the kind of strategic play that makes a lot of sense as a threat on any down. At least it forces the defense to account for the possibility before going into coverage. Especially when the defense really started overloading the side and middle of the line (Haslett, Marinelli, and whoever the Seahawks DC was), the drawplay would regulate the blitz gamble, even with one successful run. Then of course, the play action from a draw play allows a little time, theoretically, for the WRs to get downfield.

Top Bottom