Reaction score
When you think of No. 81 at the receiver position, especially with the Cowboys, there’s not just a name that comes to mind but rather some initials. But this team is long removed from T.O. In fact, Laurent Robinson had quite a year with 11 touchdown catches in 2011, often acting as the No. 3 receiver.

So that begs the question about Terrance Williams’ role with the Cowboys, who took the Baylor standout in the third round (74th overall). Williams wasn’t drafted to start – this year. But we all know about Miles Austin’s injury history and it’s not like Dez Bryant has been without setbacks as well. Bryant had offseason surgery to repair his fractured left index finger and ended the season with back spasms that forced him out of the finale in Washington. Austin has had multiple hamstring injuries and couldn’t finish either Redskins games last season because of injuries.

So Williams will be asked to fill in at times, and judging from his performance at Baylor, and the recent success of his former college teammates, he should be NFL ready. In 2012, rookie receivers Kendall Wright (Titans) and Josh Gordon (Browns) both had stellar campaigns coming out of the Baylor system. Williams was even more productive last season in college, catching 97 passes for 1,832 yards and a nation-leading 18.9 yards per reception.

But he was the No. 1 guy at Baylor. He’ll be the No. 3 receiver at best with the Cowboys. Does that matter? Robinson did start a few games in 2011 with Austin injured, but was the third receiver for much of the time. He made his mark in the red zone where he caught most of his 11 touchdowns. Many of them were a product of Romo scrambling and Robinson finding holes in the defense to exploit.

The Cowboys don’t need Williams, who will wear No. 83, to be like Owens. But if he’s anything like Robinson, this offense should see marked improvement.

Sticking with our numerical journey to training camp, let’s take a closer look at the number 81:

• No jersey has been issued by the Cowboys more than No. 81, which has gone to 23 players. The main reason for that is no player has remained in the number for more than four seasons. The first player to wear 81 was wide receiver Bill Howton (1960-63). The second-longest tenured player in that number was Terrell Owens, who had it for three seasons (2006-08). Currently, No. 81 for the Cowboys is Danny Coale, a second-year receiver from Virginia Tech.
• The one Hall of Fame player who has worn No. 81 for the Cowboys is tight end Jackie Smith, who is known more around these parts for a key dropped pass in the end zone during Super Bowl XIII against Pittsburgh. Smith spent most of his career with the Cardinals.
• The most productive player to wear No. 81 in Dallas is undoubtedly Owens, who made headlines for many other reasons during his three years. Still, T.O. had three seasons of at least 10 touchdowns, catching 235 passes for 3,587yards. On average, his time with the Cowboys resulted in 78 catches, 1,195 yards and 12 touchdowns.
• The 1981 NFL Draft saw the Cowboys take an offensive tackle in the first round – Howard Richards of Missouri. The Cowboys went 30 years before taking another lineman in the first round when they drafted Tyron Smith.
• The Cowboys scored big in rookie free agency in 1981, signing a pair of longtime starters in the secondary: Everson Walls (Grambling State) and Michael Downs (Rice), who were starters as rookies. Walls had 11 interceptions in 1981, which still stands as an NFL record for interceptions by a rookie

Reaction score
I wonder how many of Robinson's TDs came on the initial route as opposed to the "stay alive" running around after the play breaks down? I saw a lot of the latter...but then I was also looking for it.

Any way to find that out?

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I wonder how many of Robinson's TDs came on the initial route as opposed to the "stay alive" running around after the play breaks down? I saw a lot of the latter...but then I was also looking for it.

Any way to find that out?

It was mostly from "stay alive" running from what I could tell. Too bad Ogletree never could learn how to do that.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Last paragraph here reminds me of Laurent.
===================================

Art Briles, who coached Terrance Williams at Baylor, joined Fitzsimmons and Durrett on KESN-FM this week to talk about the Dallas Cowboys' newest receiver. Here are some highlights:

On if he was surprised Terrance Williams lasted until the 3 round:
Honestly, I was pretty shocked. But y’all keep up with it – nothing really astonishes you when it comes to the draft. When you try to make a science of it, it becomes a fiction… all I know is it’s a steal for Dallas and it’s a thrill for Terrance because he loves the Dallas Cowboys. He’s a heck of a football player. He’ll bring everything he’s got every day to the practice field and the game field, and they’ll never be disappointed in him off the field.

On him fighting for everything he gets:
I think so. … It’s a situation where that’s kind of how Terrance has gotten to where he is today, by being a fighter. That’s how he’s survived. He’s a guy who’s always said, ‘I’ll do your dirty work, I’ll be your handy man. I’ll do what I’ve got to do to get on the field.’ So he’s worked himself up from the bottom to the top of the game, and that’s why he’s so appreciative and that’s why he’s so dog gone good.

On how Williams fits in with the Cowboys:
The best thing about Terrance – and this is something we’ve been saying for two or three years – is that he’s a quarterback’s best friend. He’s a guy that’s very instinctive, he can play on the fly, and when the quarterback gets in trouble having to scramble and move around in the pockets, Terrance just has the instinct to get open. So asking how he’s going to fit in with Romo, he’s a guy that once Romo figures him out and sees what he’s capable of, he’s a guy he’s going to look for in desperate situations.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'm glad we found a Terrance where you think his 1st name is spelt that way and it actually is.

Reaction score
I like him, he is a playmaker although i think he body catches a little too much. Can he beat bump coverage in the NFL?

Top Bottom