C

Cr122

Updated: September 8, 2010, 11:01 AM ET
Tom Brady sidesteps contract questions

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady deflected questions Wednesday morning about reports that he is closing in on a contract extension with the team.

"I don't want to get into it," Brady said during his weekly appearance on Boston sports radio station WEEI. "For me, it's the same as it's been. I'm trying to find a way to score some touchdowns against the Bengals [in Sunday's season opener]. I didn't spend five minutes yesterday thinking about my contract or future."

Brady The reality is I have a job to do and my job isn't revolved around worrying about what my future is right now. My job is to be the best leader for this team that I can be, and really to get ready to play the Bengals, and play really well. Because of that, I think it's pretty selfish if I sit here and that's all I'm worried about -- myself.
” -- Tom Brady on WEEI

Brady added that it's "pretty uncomfortable talking about a contract, because I know how coach [Bill] Belichick feels talking about it, and [owner Robert] Kraft does, and Jonathan [Kraft] does.

"It's an ordinary Wednesday," he said. "We're getting ready for the Bengals."

Contract discussions between the Patriots and Brady escalated Tuesday to the point where a deal could be completed before New England opens its regular season, a source close to the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Discussions between the two sides have focused on a four-year deal. The previous two contracts that Brady has signed have been for four years, and the expectation is this one also will be for four.

The value of Brady's new contract is expected to be between $18 million and $20 million per season, which means it likely would be valued between $72 million and $80 million.

In response to questions about a potential extension, Brady kept turning the focus of the radio interview back to the season-opening game against the Bengals.

Mike & Mike in the Morning

ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter says he doesn't see any way Albert Haynesworth gets traded this week. Plus, Schefter says he thinks Tom Brady's new deal will come soon and will be for four years.

"The reality is I have a job to do and my job isn't revolved around worrying about what my future is right now," he said. "My job is to be the best leader for this team that I can be, and really to get ready to play the Bengals, and play really well. Because of that, I think it's pretty selfish if I sit here and that's all I'm worried about -- myself."

Brady would like to finalize the deal this week, before the Patriots open the season Sunday against Cincinnati. This is logical. In the Patriots opener two seasons ago, then Kansas City safety Bernard Pollard rolled into Brady's knee, injuring it and ending the quarterback's season.

"I think everybody on our team would, every coach would. That's not the way things work," Brady said. "I love the Patriots, I love the organization, what Mr. Kraft has done for me and my family over the years, I'm always grateful. To play for coach Belichick, there is no coach I'd rather play for. That's how I felt, that's how I'll feel today, tomorrow, Sunday, the following week, for as long as I ever am playing, and beyond my playing years I'll be grateful for what I have here."

One source told Schefter he thought a deal could be done this week, but it would not surprise him if it were next week.

During his interview Wednesday morning, Brady also reacted to recent comments from receiver Randy Moss, who told CBSSports.com that he was "feeling not wanted" by the Patriots as he enters the final year of his contract.

"Randy is my lockermate, he's one of my great friends on the team, he and I have a lot of conversations that are certainly very personal to the two of us," Brady said on WEEI. "This is his third team that he's been on. He knows what the business is.

"He also knows what he can bring to the team. He's a great player. We're better for having Randy Moss on the team. What he does for us on a weekly basis, in practice and in the game, there is probably no other player in the history of the game that can do it. You talk about compartmentalizing. That guy can compartmentalize.

"He plays with his heart and I think he's misunderstood from time to time. He's a great teammate and I really love having him."

Brady was asked if he'd like to have Moss return to the team in 2011.

"I would love to have him, of course I would," he responded. "It's not my decision. I think this is something that is out of every player's control. I would love to have Logan [Mankins], I would love to have some other players who have been extremely important to our team.

"Randy is important, was important, will be important, especially from my standpoint as a quarterback. I love Randy and I'd love to play with him for a long time."

In addition to Moss, Brady also discussed Mankins, the Pro Bowl guard who has held out of camp, refusing to sign his tender offer in a contract dispute with the Patriots. Brady seemed resigned to the reality of starting the season without his best offensive lineman.

"Nobody can replace Logan Mankins, nobody can," Brady said. "There's only one of those guys. It doesn't change my job whether he's here or not here. We've been planning to play without him because he hasn't been here, but he's a special guy. He's a special player. He's a special talent. But once again the business side of things doesn't always really mesh up with the football side of things."

Mike Reiss covers the Patriots for ESPNBoston.com. ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter contributed to this report.

Top Bottom