Experienced
Polished, well-rounded receiver
Adept at finding soft spots in zone

Weaknesses:
Lacks great speed
Not overly big or fast
Not very physical with defensive backs
Run blocking?

Summary: The Baylor Bears have featured one of the best offenses in college football the past few seasons and Williams was the common thread. He was one of the most productive receivers in college football and dominated the Big XII in 2012. Williams enters the NFL having been a 3-year contributor.

Baylor was led by Heisman Trophy winner Robert Griffin III in 2011, and he produced insane yards and points via Williams and Kendall Wright. Williams was the No. 2 receiver behind Wright, but still caught 59 passes for 957 yards and 11 touchdowns. He had 43 catches for 484 yards and four touchdowns in 2010.

Williams resoundingly proved this year he could produce without Griffin at quarterback. The senior was the No. 1 receiver for Nick Florence and led the nation in receiving yards. Williams produced 1,832 yards on 97 receptions with 12 touchdowns. He set Big XII records with 17 receptions for 314 yards and two touchdowns against West Virginia.

Williams made a lot of tough catches in the short to intermediate part of the field while also making long catches downfield. His deep speed was impressive, and he picked up a lot of yards after the catch.

At the Senior Bowl, Williams measured in just under 6-foot-1 and 7/8, just below 6-foot-2. He had a quiet performance in Mobile and didn't look as good as he did during his senior season. Williams wasn't getting consistent separation against the higher quality defensive backs.

Williams has decent mix of size and speed, but that speed is more of the straight-line variety. He has reliable hands and is a quality route-runner. Williams will probably function best as a No. 2 receiver in the NFL since he doesn't have the elite speed or size to be a No. 1. Williams could be a productive pro receiver in a passing offense with some good coaching.

Player Comparison: Mike Williams. The Buccaneers found out that Williams isn't a No. 1 receiver in the NFL, but he is very good as a No. 2. Terrance Williams could fall into that category. Both players have some speed, but aren't burners. They also have some size, but don't beat cornerbacks solely on size. Terrance Williams will probably go on the second day, while Mike Williams fell to the fourth round because of character concerns.

Reaction score
‏@dmn_george1m
Baylor coach Art Briles said last month that WR Terrance Williams was a “can’t-miss” NFL player who will have no problem running pro routes.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
‏@dmn_george1m
Baylor coach Art Briles said last month that WR Terrance Williams was a “can’t-miss” NFL player who will have no problem running pro routes.

Cause most coaches of the player come out and say. "The kid sucks"

MetalHead

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Strengths:
Reliable hands
Deceptive speed
Can make tough, contested receptions
Good route-runner
Enough quickness to get separation
Nice run after the catch ability
Scheme versatility
Quality athlete
Red-zone weapon
Durable
Experienced
Polished, well-rounded receiver
Adept at finding soft spots in zone

Weaknesses:
Lacks great speed
Not overly big or fast
Not very physical with defensive backs
Run blocking?

Which one is it?

Reaction score
Terrance Williams the big number 2.

Garfunkel.

Oats.

Malcolm Young.

Dan Quayle.

In case something happens to the main entree, Jerry thoughtfully assured that the secondary dish available on the menu will be milk toast Terrance Williams.

And maybe a kick returner, although Wilcox may do that.

He is a whole lot of good

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Seriously though, I think a lot of people just haven't seen him play. He is a big play machine and he's still sort of raw. I think people look at his 40 and think he's some possession guy, and that's not who he is. Like Dooley said, he wins a lot of contested balls and for someone with supposedly middling speed he runs away from people.

Know who he reminds me of... A poor man's (maybe) Justin Blackmon, who also doesn't run blazing fast 40s.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I like this guy. He'll have to adjust to the pro style game, but he has good size and is sneaky fast. Seems very smooth/fluid and it doesn't look like he ever fights the ball.

His name got tossed around in a lot of mocks in early to middle second, and we got him mid 3rd...

Good insurance for Austin this year, and potentially makes Austin (and his cap #) expendable after this year.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more, junk.

Not that I've seen Escobar enough to know, I just don't like another 2nd round TE unless he's so overwhelmingly talented you just can't say no.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm not even going to get into the whole 2 TE set debate. Been there, done that with too many people. Looks good on paper, but it never really works and I don't think Escobar is the type to make it work anyway.

I just don't have any faith in Garrett's ability to use a second TE. He's never done it. Get him all these weapons and it'll probably still be the same middle of the pack NFL offense.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
What TEs has he had to work with? 2, 6th round H-backs and a 2nd rounder on his 3rd team in 3 years, who had to learn how to catch?

Yeah, great sample there, bud.

Now kindly shut...up.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Bob, WTF are you talking about. Bavaro 2 was a solid enough player, and Marty was picked by Garrett. Both immediately did better as soon as they left there.

Top Bottom