Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

PHOENIX -- Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones made it clear that quarterback Tony Romo will soon sign a contract extension but it's up to the coaching staff to make better use of the quarterback's skill set next season.
"It's not a concern of mine," Jones said. "We all have to decide what date that is. Everybody involved: His agents. Him. Me. Us. The point I do want to make [about] this kind of commitment is I feel good about making it. I feel good about where he is in his career."

As for a timetable for an extension, Jones wouldn't give an exact time period but said: "I'm not concerned that we are looking at a drawn-out thing here. I'm not concerned that is going to in any way hamper any decision we want to make personnel-wise over the next few weeks."

Romo, who is entering the final year of his contract, is scheduled to earn a base salary of $11.5 million in 2013. The Cowboys are trying to lower his cap number, which is currently a team-high $16.8 million, to give the team some salary-cap relief to sign draft picks and free agents.

Jones wants the Cowboys' offensive coaches to use Romo's skill set even more next season so that he is even more of a focal point for the offense.

Stay tuned. He is going to have high expectations," Jones said. "I expect him to be used. We didn't extend Troy Aikman although Troy had won three Super Bowls. We didn't make the financial commitment to Troy not to have Troy be a critical, if not the critical, part of what our team was about and our ability to move the ball. That is going to be the kind of emphasis we have with Romo. He is not going to be paid to be a bus driver.

"Tony sees remarkably. He sees the cars on the highway, so to speak. He reacts well on what he sees. And he is real good at taking his eye away from it and going back to it and throwing it. Those are really unique skills. We ought to be winning with that. Have we maximized everything that he is about to get it done?"

Romo can be an unstoppable force. He had an eight-week stretch during the 2012 season where he threw 17 touchdowns and had just three interceptions. However, there are times that he stops himself. Romo tied for the league-lead with 19 interceptions, including three in the regular-season finale with a playoff berth on the line.

"This thing has got to be oriented toward his skills, and we've got to be able to take advantage of all the things he does best," Jones said. "Nobody knows better than Tony, Jason [Garrett] and Wade [Wilson] and that offensive staff. We got a great combination now of some fresh guys on the staff and some guys that know him well. But I do expect us to be creative. I do expect some new wrinkles, so to speak, relative to what Tony Romo contributes to the team."

Reaction score
Garrett said upgrading the OL and run game was the top priority

Show me.

No, not asking you to show me where he said that. I'm wanting him to show me that its the teams top priority.

#35days #Warmack #Cooper #Fluker #hashtaggingiskindagay

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Show me.

No, not asking you to show me where he said that. I'm wanting him to show me that its the teams top priority.

That's right, one of those prospects should be drafted at 18. Even if both Warmack and Cooper are gone, the next selection should be Fluker. Unless there's that one exception where a player drops like say one at DT or DE.

Reaction score
Show me.

Yeah. I agree.

This situation is frustrating.

A more pessimistic take is that Jerry has already shown us what he really thinks of the OL in recent years (e.g., cutting Gurode without a quality replacement to take over at Center, picking up a couple of mediocre FA spare parts at Guard last off season and seeing them as a "fix," absolutely gushing about the UDFA Guard from Memphis last year as if the kid was a stud, talk of moving the ineffective Free inside, etc. etc. etc.).

Each off-season in recent years I've wanted to believe that the front office would finally figure things out. And yet it hasn't happened. To be perfectly honest, I'm thinking it is naive to expect that Jerry will suddenly start pulling all of the right strings.

The only solace is that sometimes blind squirrels find acorns. Maybe Jerry will too.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I just watched the score from march 3. Babe said he knows for a fact that the offensive line will be upgraded through free agency and the draft.

So I guess we will be addressing that area if he is right.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Can't watch right now, but if he's counting on the current bums to be better because they'll be coached up, fuck us.

Reaction score
Thanks for the video, Theebs.

Babe talks about the OL in the last 12 seconds of the video.

He "guarantees" that the OL will change during the draft and "who knows what will happen?" during free agency.

So, technically, Babe would be correct if the Cowboys pick one OL during the draft, in any round. I'm sure Babe is correct; there's gotta be at least a 90% chance that the Cowboys will draft at least one OL at some point during the draft.

Will the Cowboys upgrade the OL? ... that's a different question. I hope they will, but who knows?

Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if the Cowboys decided to move up a spot or two in the first round for, say, a favored DE and then with their next available pick stay true to their board and pick someone who is seen (in Valley Ranch) as a fantastic value ... someone who happens not to play on the OL. Next thing you know, it is the 4th or 5th round and Jerry picks some small school guard who needs another year or two in the weight room before being ready for prime-time. This is a realistic scenario.

Top Bottom