Reaction score
Jordan Woy, the agent for Anthony Spencer, plans to talk to the Cowboys later this week about a long-term contract extension.

Spencer signed his franchise tender last week, guaranteeing him $10.6 million for next season. The Cowboys are in no rush to get a deal done and are comfortable with him playing under the franchise tag next season.

However, the down free-agent market may work in the Cowboys favor as Spencer presses for a long-term deal.

Paul Kruger got a four-year, $40.5 million deal to leave the Ravens for the Dolphins. But that is not DeMarcus Ware money that Spencer hoped would be in offing on the free agent market. Ware signed a six-year, $78 million deal in 2009.

Other pass rushers are finding the good money hard to come by. Ciff Avril got $15 million over two years from Seattle. Michael Bennett signed one-year deal for $5 million with the Seahawks.

John Abraham, Osi Umenyiora and Dwight Freeney are all still looking for homes and that doesn't even consider the Elvis Dumervil fiasco with Denver.

Cowboys vice-president Stephen Jones acknowledges that the market favors the Cowboys in talks with Spencer.

"Obviously, whatever happens in the markets affects others," Jones said. "You have to look at those things. But to say how it effects him and get into the details, that’s unfair."

Again Jones said they would like to get a deal done with Spencer but they are also comfortable with him playing under the franchise tag of $10.6 million.

“We can go either way,” Jones said. “We would always like to lock up a really good football player, always like that. I think Anthony still got several years to play. So we like to have him.”

Not only would Jones like to have him, he plans to keep for him for at least this year. Jones all but debunked any talk of the Cowboys shopping Spencer in a trade.

“No. I mean not anything we want to look at,” Jones responded when asked if he had any trade offers for Spencer. “At the end of the day, we plan on Anthony being here. Now anybody at anytime, there has always been a philosophy if the right deal is there that makes us a better team, then you’ve got to take a look at it. Our thoughts are Anthony is going to be playing football for the Cowboys this year.”

Reaction score
I actually think that is the smartest move re: Spencer.

Pay him this year, let Crawford get some reps, another year of experience. Then move on from Spencer in '14 and either roll with Crawford full time or draft the replacement.

But do not sign Spencer to a multi-year backloaded contract that we'll invariably restructure giving him endless guaranteed money when he's a 35 year old undersized DE.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I've seen you saying that all along. I just don't get why you (or anyone) would want to pay Spencer $10 M for 1 year of service. We aren't 1 Anthony Spencer away from a Superbowl.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
@cmdwork
Exactly right.

Dont rent a player for 10mil when you have about as good of a chance at winning a SB as you do of hitting the lottery.

Let him walk. We can suck just as we'll without him.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
And if it comes down to either or, franchise or long term contract, franchise his ass. You stupid ass hicks.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I've seen you saying that all along. I just don't get why you (or anyone) would want to pay Spencer $10 M for 1 year of service. We aren't 1 Anthony Spencer away from a Superbowl.

Yeah, I don't think we franchise him again. I think he signs a longer deal.

seems like that is the route they are going. We are so thin at defensive end that I dont think we even have a choice at this point.

I almost think all of us together here at this site could basically lay out what they are going to do going forward.

seems spencer will be the other starting end, we will cut free and draft a tackle, sign a guy like slauson and have three veteran guards in mack, livings and slauson allowing mack to compete with costa at center...

then the draft will be a OT, S, RB, TE and probably a corner.

Reaction score

Agree.

Lets say we sign him long term and get his cap # down to what... 5 mil? Or less... whatever.

There aren't players available that we'd spend the money on that would put us over the top and make us a Super Bowl contender this year either.

But if the team insists on keeping Spencer, which they appear to, then have him on a one year deal where we can wash our hands of the situation and move on next year instead of signing an aging player to a long term deal to play a position he hasn't played full time in 7 years.

Reaction score
@cmdwork
Exactly right.

Dont rent a player for 10mil when you have about as good of a chance at winning a SB as you do of hitting the lottery.

Let him walk. We can suck just as we'll without him.

And if it comes down to either or, franchise or long term contract, franchise his ass. You stupid ass hicks.

So you agree with me afterall.

~hugs~

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well I don't know about you guys, but I feel a lot better about it hearing about Kiffin and Marinelli raving about his film the way they did. So it's not just Jerry wanting to sign a guy he drafted to make himself feel better about his GMing.

And a longer term deal would probably only be three or four years anyway. It's not like 33 or 34 is that ancient. And Spencer has always been pretty durable.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Well, if we're going to sign him long term let's giterdone. Maybe we can still sign an OL in FA with the cap savings. Wait too long and there won't be any quality FAs left.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If it was my call, our options would be:

1. Trade him, Use $10M in cap space to sign 2 free agents and if necesary look to the DE heavy draft for his replacement.
2. If no one wanted him in a trade, work out 3 or 4 year cap friendly deal. Remember, the last year in these types of deal almost never happens with ageing veterans.
3. Let him walk. Again, use $10M in cap space to replace him with 2 players.

Franchising him with the intent on letting him walk next year is the worst idea possible IMO. Wasted money. Wasted snaps.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If it was my call, our options would be:

1. Trade him, Use $10M in cap space to sign 2 free agents and if necesary look to the DE heavy draft for his replacement.
2. If no one wanted him in a trade, work out 3 or 4 year cap friendly deal. Remember, the last year in these types of deal almost never happens with ageing veterans.
3. Let him walk. Again, use $10M in cap space to replace him with 2 players.

Franchising him with the intent on letting him walk next year is the worst idea possible IMO. Wasted money. Wasted snaps.

I agree. Number 3 cant be done though. He signed his tender so he will count the 10 million no matter if he is here or not unless he is traded or works a new deal.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I agree. Number 3 cant be done though. He signed his tender so he will count the 10 million no matter if he is here or not unless he is traded or works a new deal.

You're right. I'm saying I never would have put the Franchise Tag on him. Especially not a second year in a row (automatic raise).

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
We need offensive lineman more than we need an aging, spotty at best, vet DE.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
We need offensive lineman more than we need an aging, spotty at best, vet DE.

Correct, and there still are a few of them that are FAs, and we have to sit back with our thumbs in our ass because all of our money is tied up in a one year wonder.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I've wanted to let Spencer go as much as anyone. At the same time, if your new coaches who have been brought in to save the franchise are saying let's keep this guy, you gotta do what you can to retain him I suppose.

Top Bottom