Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

In the early days of free agency we've seen slot receivers become a hot topic.

Wes Welker left the New England Patriots and signed a two-year deal with the Denver Broncos.

The Patriots found his replacement before Welker got his new deal when they signed Danny Amendola, from St. Louis.

The Cowboys haven't really had a typical No. 3/slot receiver with the body type of Welker and Amendola.

Patrick Crayton, Kevin Ogletree, Laurent Robinson and Dwayne Harris were No. 3 receivers who played in the slot, but didn't have that small frame.

Last year, the Cowboys found one in Cole Beasley, a player who fits Welker's and Amendola's body-type. Beasley is 5-8, 177 pounds. In his rookie season, Beasley finished with 15 catches for 128 yards with no touchdowns. Beasley made a bulk of his catches out of the slot and going forward the Cowboys should use him more often from this area.

New England utilized Welker for several years from the slot to beat teams, in the middle of the field. His speed allowed him to get past defenders for yards after catch.

Maybe Beasley can be used in the same fashion in 2013.

Dez Bryant and Miles Austin can stretch defenses deep with their speed and Jason Witten can also command the middle of the field. What about Beasley? If defenses take Bryant and Austin out of the game with their coverages, which has happened, Beasley is a player who should get some run.

There have been teams who have used short receivers from the slot to make plays in different areas of the field and the Cowboys have Beasley who might fit that role.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I'd like to see more of Beasely in the offense,or anything different really.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I like Beasley but I'm still holding out hope for Danny Coale. Harris impresses me at times. It'll be interesting to see who steps up this year. If one of those three don't step up they'll probably go more two tight sets with Hannah.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Beasley got the Bejesus knocked out of him that last game and so did Harris.

Reaction score
Beasely is the forgotten man. At least by me.

Harris is the young receiver I was most impressed with at the end of the year.

Also agree Hannah need more, but with Phillips gone, I think thats going to happen.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Beasley showed a few flashes last season. He looked like Welker out there a few plays.

Then of course Ogletree was put back in. Glad he's out of the way.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Beasely is the forgotten man. At least by me.

Harris is the young receiver I was most impressed with at the end of the year.

Also agree Hannah need more, but with Phillips gone, I think thats going to happen.

You would think, but this is Garrett we are talking about.

Reaction score
Seeing the Pats dump Welker brings up a question about WR roster churning.
As much as I like Miles Austin, my guess is he would be a welcome trade to a team like the Jets or Chargers who need a veteran big fast WR. Sign Heyward-Bey for the fly-route decoy that Miles runs and give Beasely, Harris, and Coale a good flood of reps. Can still always use Hanna too.

Top Bottom