Reaction score
By PAUL SCHWARTZ
Last Updated: 12:20 PM, February 23, 2013
Posted: 12:50 AM, February 23, 2013
Giants Blog

Ramses Barden started only one game in his four-year career with the Giants. It was Sept. 20 of last season in Charlotte and he was unstoppable. He used his angular 6-foot-6 frame to shield defenders on slant patterns en route to a nine-reception, 138-yard eruption as the Giants coasted past the Panthers 36-7.

To the many Giants fans who always wanted to see more of the statuesque Barden, it was validation. See what he can do when given the chance? To the Giants, it ultimately proved to be one final tease. Barden is set to become an unrestricted free agent and, though the Giants have some interest in re-signing him, Barden — healthy and only 27 years old — will hit the open market on March 12.

“We have spoken and they do have interest in re-signing him,’’ Jeff Sperbeck, Barden’s agent, told The Post. “We agreed that he’ll test the market and see how it unfolds.’’

Translation: The Giants would take Barden back, but won’t make any significant financial commitment to him, basically re-signing him to return and compete for a roster spot. Barden clearly wants more than that and hopes there’s a team out there willing to invest in a physically imposing receiver who never put much of anything together with the Giants.

As a third-round pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Giants knew Barden was raw coming out of Cal Poly but envisioned him developing into a huge target, especially in the red zone. It never happened. He showed flashes in 2010 before an ankle injury set him back. He was inactive for all four postseason games in the 2011 Super Bowl run.

Barden finished his four-year stay with only 29 catches for 394 yards and no touchdowns. No doubt, he hopes his one career start and his great size are enough to entice another team to give him a shot.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I like Barden. The potential is there.. Not sure if we have the luxury of bringing him in tho with the cap shape we're in and having more pressing needs.

Reaction score
I do remember him being considered one of the sleepers of that 2009 draft. Everyone said the Giants stole him.

I cant' imagine he'd cost a lot, but it would be nice to have a 6'6" red zone target.

Top Bottom