Reaction score
@nickeatman
Garrett says he "absolutely" expects Ratliff to be on the cowboys in 2013

@Eric_Edholm: Garrett on Anthony Spencer: Grew up a 4-3 DE. Can make transition. "We are confident he can play either scheme."

ProFootballWkly
#Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett says offensive line is "certainly an area we want to get better in."

Reaction score
I figured that Ratliff would be back...I want Spencer back, but how the F are we going to afford him...and thankfully he is talking about the OL.

Reaction score
Jason Garrett says offensive line is "certainly an area we want to get better in."

Did he say this in response to a question about the OL - or - did he offer it spontaneously? (It matters)

Reaction score
INDIANAPOLIS - Just about every NFL head coach spoke here at the scouting combine in the last two days. Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett was the last to speak, but held court for several minutes, talking to both national and local media about a variety of topics.

Here are some of the highlights coming out of Garrett’s media session on Friday:

· When asked if he expects defensive tackle Jay Ratliff to play with the Cowboys in 2013, Garrett basically cut off the reporter and said “Absolutely.” When asked again about Ratliff’s frustrating 2012 season that included 10 games missed because of injury, a locker-room altercation with Jerry Jones and then an DWI arrest earlier this month, Garrett reiterated his stance and said if Ratliff can get healthy, he expects him to be formidable in the 4-3 defense.

· While it has been assumed linebacker Sean Lee will be the middle linebacker in the 4-3 defense, Garrett said Bruce Carter might get the chance to play inside and Lee could be the WILL linebacker on the outside. But Garrett said Lee will “get the first crack” at playing in the middle.

· When asked if Miles Austin would also “absolutely” be back in 2013, Garrett said it will come down to business decisions, but later added the Cowboys’ only issue with Austin is his health. Garrett said Austin was not 100 percent in 2012 and saw a true burst from Austin only twice all of last year.

· Garrett will never give away his draft strategy but it doesn’t sound like there is a strong need to draft a quarterback in 2013. He called Romo a “young” quarterback and referred to his lack of playing time early in his career. That doesn’t mean they won’t evaluate all of the quarterbacks but it appears the Cowboys could get through the draft without taking a passer.

· There were a few questions regarding Chip Kelly’s fast-paced offense in Philadelphia. Garrett said the Cowboys aren’t viewing Kelly as a first-year coach in the NFL but more like “a really good coach” who has been very successful.

· With the possibility Doug Free could be released to save $7 million on this year’s cap, Garrett stressed how impressed the Cowboys were with Jermey Parnell’s progression and how he handled rotating with Free late last season. Garrett did add Free also played better when he was splitting time but overall, the head coach seemed rather comfortable with Parnell’s ability to win the starting job

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Ogletree is gonna be a heckuva pro LB if he stays out of trouble

Dont need him here though

Reaction score
@toddarcher

Brief visit with Jerry Jones. He backed up Garrett's Ratliff comment. Jerry: I'll put it like this about him coming back - he never left.

--------

Well, one thing I certainly like about Ratiff coming back is it increases the odds of Jerry Jones dying.

Keep talking shit to him in the locker room, old man.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
RKG. Gets into public confrontation with owner and gets DUI after another DUI gets player killed.

Look, I have no issue keeping Ratliff. They just need to stop all this RKG, "accountability" talk if they are going to have blinders on when it comes to players who do the things Ratliff did.

Can we go ahead and draft Honey Badger now?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
RKG. Gets into public confrontation with owner and gets DUI after another DUI gets player killed.

Look, I have no issue keeping Ratliff. They just need to stop all this RKG, "accountability" talk if they are going to have blinders on when it comes to players who do the things Ratliff did.

The Niners roster is loaded with those kinds of guys.

Can we go ahead and draft Honey Badger now?

No

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Niners roster is loaded with those kinds of guys

Harbaugh doesn't sit that there at every press conference talking about "good guys" and accountability. He talks about tougness, motivation, performance, and results. Then, he goes out and backs it up. A little different than Garrett's "stacking days " garbage.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
bolded comments give me more reason for optimism

February 23, 2013

Garrett: We have to get better running the football

The Cowboys need to run the ball better. That much is obvious.

They set the team record for fewest rushing yards in a 16-game season with 1,265. The previous worst in a 16-game season was the 1,409 rushing yards the 1989 team had.

"Whenever you are near the bottom of the league in rushing the football, you want to improve that area," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. "It starts with the offensive line. We believe strongly that other people contribute to running the football. Certainly, the tight ends, the fullbacks and the runners themselves. So we have to get better running the football. It starts up front. So we will try to create competition there to try to make our team better."

The Cowboys' running backs also have to do better. For DeMarco Murray, that means staying healthy.

Murray has 1,560 career yards, but he has missed nine games with injuries in his two seasons. He was out for six games with a foot injury in 2012 when he rushed for 663 yards.

"He makes a big impact on our football team and the last couple of years at different times he’s been out of the lineup," Garrett said. "And I think our team was hurt by that. We have to make sure he’s doing everything he can in the off-season to prepare himself, evaluate what he’s doing. He’s a very hard worker and very committed to getting himself right. We have to keep looking at what he’s doing. In general, if you look at his injuries, the injuries he’s had are not ones you can prevent. It’s really the nature of football. So as best we can, we’re going to get him in the kind of shape that will allow him to play 16 games, and we’re going to rely on him. He’s a darn good football player. He takes some pressure off everyone on our offense and throughout our team when he’s going good. We have to make sure we can get him in that frame of mind and that physical state for the whole season."

The Cowboys need a No. 2 running back behind Murray. Phillip Tanner and Lance Dunbar were the No. 3 running backs in 2012. Felix Jones, the No. 2, is an unrestricted free agent and not expected to return. In his five seasons since the Cowboys made him a first-round pick, Jones rushed for 2,728 yards and scored 15 total touchdowns.

-- Charean Williams

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...etter-running-the-football.html#storylink=cpy

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
"We have to run the ball better." - Jason Garrett, 2012

"We have to run the ball better." - Jason Garrett, 2011

"We have to run the ball better." - Jason Garrett, 2010

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
TE 2012 "I hate Garrett"

TE 2011 "I hate Garrett"

TE 2010 "I hate Garrett"

TE since birth "I hate Garrett"

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Didn't hate him at first at all. I remember when I heard we were getting him, I thought good, Jerry's inner circle of Arkansas/Okie good ol' boys aren't really pro guys, now he's finally been in the league long enough that some of his old players are ready to be coaches. And he supposedly had a good rep. It was only when he proved he was a lousy coach and arrogant to boot that I turned on him.

And what I posted is true. He really has said we want to run the ball and we're going to do everything possible to do that for the last several years in a row. Problem is, he doesn't really ever commit to it. And you can't half-ass running the football.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Problem is, he doesn't really ever commit to it. And you can't half-ass running the football.

I dont think there's any truth to this whatsoever. When we've run the ball well he has stuck with it. But when you constantly get tossed for negative yards or no gains and you have guys like Romo, Witten, Austin, Bryant etc etc then the answer is fairly obvious.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I dont think there's any truth to this whatsoever. When we've run the ball well he has stuck with it.
When has that been?

I'm not talking about one or two games here or there where things go well, either. I'm talking about as an overall philosophy. Garrett has been the king of giving up on running when things don't go well early. You know that's true.

Top Bottom