Reaction score
RAINER SABIN
The Dallas Morning News
Staff writer
rsabin@dallasnews.com
Published: 24 January 2013 01:19 AM

Jason Garrett had an idea. He had a plan. He even had a process.

All were geared toward making the Cowboys a contender.

“We always start out with what our vision is for our program, what we want the whole thing to look like, what our goals are,” Garrett said in December. “Everyone understands that. We’re abundantly clear with that with our football team from Day One. Where we want to go, where do we want this whole thing to go, that goal, that vision. It needs to be there or you have no direction. You’re rudderless. But having said that, once you establish what that is that’s most important, you have to focus on what you have to do each and every day to get there.”

At the time Garrett made that comment, he finally seemed on the cusp of realizing his goals. The Cowboys had just defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers, improved their record to 8-6 and moved into a position to snatch a post-season berth. For the first time in a while, Garrett was receiving high marks as a head coach. Many applauded his leadership in the aftermath of the tragic car accident that left practice squad linebacker Jerry Brown dead and nose tackle Josh Brent facing an intoxicated manslaughter charge. Others complimented Garrett on the resilience his team had shown after starting the season 3-5. Garrett deflected the praise but hinted that his grand scheme was finally producing results.

“If you grow with the right kind of people, ultimately you’ll come together and hopefully you’ll have the success that you want,” he said.

Two weeks later, the season had ended after a loss to the Washington Redskins in a winner-take-all showdown for the NFC East title. The Cowboys had stumbled down the stretch and finished with an 8-8 record for the second consecutive year.

Team owner Jerry Jones promised that changes were coming but didn’t indicate how extensive they’d be. He didn’t intimate the Cowboys would blow up what Garrett had been building at a painstakingly-slow pace. But that’s essentially what is being done.

As Garrett watches the demolition from a close vantage point, it’s hard to fathom he helped encourage it. This was a coach, after all, who was stubbornly committed to doing things in a way that he thought was right even when the outcome wasn’t favorable.

“You stay the course when things aren't going as well as you want them to go," Garrett said in November.

Deviating from the script wasn’t his M.O., and for that reason all of the moves made in recent weeks don’t reflect the goals of the mission Garrett set out to accomplish or the very principles he stood for as a leader in the organization. In a year that could decide his fate as the Cowboys coach, it seems incredible that Garrett would want to overhaul his coaching staff, switch the team’s defensive philosophy and surrender the play-calling duties that once made him so valued in the first place. By doing so, he is tacitly implying that the vision, the plan and the process he developed for the Cowboys was worthy of being discarded or significantly amended.

In reality, it appears that Jones arrived at that conclusion – not Garrett.

Yet Garrett is the one who must find a way to manage an operation that no longer resembles the one he was busy building. All of a sudden the Cowboys have become not what he envisioned but what he feared: A rudderless outfit with no clear direction under his watch.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It was clear we needed new coordinators in all 3 phases, and it appears all 3 are getting changed. I sitll think the best thing overall and long term would have been to replace Garrett as HC now, but short of that these were changes that were needed to give us a better chance to win.

These are decisions other GM's make all the time, some are welcomes by the HC and some face resistance, but it certainly doesnt only happen here.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

So sick of this line of crap from the local guys. Every coach has a plan. Doesn't mean you keep them when they can't make it work.

Why are they so bought in to Garrett? It's like he convinced them in a walk-off he's doing a great job but it'll take a few more years and they ate it up.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm a little nervous about this next draft with Jerry feeling the need to be "more involved."

Who am I kidding? I already feel that Jerry overrides everyone anyway. It just seems now that Jason's voice will be a little more quiet.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm a little nervous about this next draft with Jerry feeling the need to be "more involved."

Who am I kidding? I already feel that Jerry overrides everyone anyway. It just seems now that Jason's voice will be a little more quiet.

I actually think we'll be fine with the draft. What they've been doing has been working in terms of drafting players (for the most part) so I'd be surprised if they do anything dramatically different than what they've done the past couple years.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Same here. Nothing wrong with our drafts since 2010 or even farther back with the exception of 2009. As long as Jerry doesn't trade away our best picks for a replacement-level WR, we'll probably be fine.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
2012 draft was not good.

Moving up for Claiborne was expensive and now with the scheme we are going to, a shut down "Deion-type" (jury is still out on that one) is not as much a need.

Crawford looks like maybe he'll be a rotation player at LDE. Wilber got nothing but bad reviews. Johnson is made of glass. Coale was cut and available to all other teams on our practice squad. Hanna was a really good pick but I have zero faith in McSurdy. Our chief talent evaluator raved over UDFA Leary having a 3rd round grade and being the most ready to play O Linemen in the draft, yet he was alao available to the entire league (on our Practice Squad) and never played a down for a team who was ravaged by OL injuries.

Fool yourself all you want but we did not have a good draft last year. Early to call? Sure. I'm still calling it now, bad draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Broaddus says the scouts were told to focus on OL/DL and safety. if I were running things there, this is the same advice I'd have given.

Doesnt mean we cant screw it up, maybe they draft the wrong guys in those positions. But at least it seems the focus is where it should be.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
2012 draft was not good.

Moving up for Claiborne was expensive and now with the scheme we are going to, a shut down "Deion-type" (jury is still out on that one) is not as much a need.

Crawford looks like maybe he'll be a rotation player at LDE. Wilber got nothing but bad reviews. Johnson is made of glass. Coale was cut and available to all other teams on our practice squad. Hanna was a really good pick but I have zero faith in McSurdy. Our chief talent evaluator raved over UDFA Leary having a 3rd round grade and being the most ready to play O Linemen in the draft, yet he was alao available to the entire league (on our Practice Squad) and never played a down for a team who was ravaged by OL injuries.

Fool yourself all you want but we did not have a good draft last year. Early to call? Sure. I'm still calling it now, bad draft.

You are wrong sir.

Reaction score
RAINER SABIN
The Dallas Morning News
Staff writer
rsabin@dallasnews.com
Published: 24 January 2013 01:19 AM

8-25 more years for this plan to come to fruition? The fact that this clown and Harbaugh started at the exact same time (with remarkably similar core talent) tells me that he's a failure. That's without even having to watch him fumble his way through games. Sean Payton, Jon Harbaugh, and many others also got it turned around fast. Thats how the league works these days. This guy was gifted a playoff winner and he's slowly ruining it.

No team with a solid QB should miss the playoff 3 straight years, especially when dudes like Tebow and Sanchez are making it there.

Top Bottom