GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Is replacing Jason Garrett as the offensive play caller as easy as it sounds?

If the Cowboys take these duties away from Garrett the strongest candidate to replace him is offensive line coach/offensive coordinator Bill Callahan. He's called plays before and his success has been documented.

Quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson remains a dark horse in the race, only because he's been more familiar with Garrett's offensive system longer than anybody on the staff next to Garrett. Callahan has spent one year with the system and he's run the West Coast offense when he was with the Oakland Raiders.

The Cowboys could go outside the organization and replace Garrett by possibly hiring Hue Jackson or waiting until the Baltimore Ravens season ends and maybe get after Jim Caldwell. Caldwell might be harder to hire because it's assumed he'll get a salary increase for the work he's done with the Ravens the last month of the regular season.

Pat Shurmur was another possibility, but ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday he's joining Chip Kelly's staff in Philadelphia. Mike Tice, who was let go by the Chicago Bears this week, could move into the role too.

The Cowboys don't have to make an announcement regarding who becomes the offensive play caller, but at some point this offseason, Jerry Jones and or Garrett will tell reporters what the situation is regarding the offense.

News hasn't broken regarding a potential change for several reasons: Jones and Garrett are still taking about making a possible switch and if a decision was made to take those duties away from Garrett, who replaces him hasn't been decided.

The longer this issues hangs in the air the longer speculation hangs regarding what the franchise will do.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Pat Shurmur was another possibility, but ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Sunday he's joining Chip Kelly's staff in Philadelphia. Mike Tice, who was let go by the Chicago Bears this week, could move into the role too.

If you want to know how bad Ryan was a a DC, he got schooled by the rookie OC Mike Tice earlier this year, in just Tice's second game EVER of being an OC.

Reaction score
Anyone other than Garrett would make the team better.

Not that Garrett is that bad of a playcaller, rather, it would lessen his load and hopefully allow him to focus on game management/adjustments.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
James Coley? Worked with Garrett in Miami. Spent a lot of time with Saban and later Jimbo Fisher.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I wonder if mike tice could be a tight end coaching replacement?

If he gets the oc job, well.

If I were Jason Garrett I would quit. Tice is no oc.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Watch Jason fill the position with complete dog shit just to revoke the duties later on during the season.

Reaction score
I'd take Bruce Coslet at this point.

Do you remember that play where he'd have the TE in to block, then fall to the ground as the QB bootlegged to the opposite side of the field, then the TE would get back up after his defender went in pursuit of the QB, and the QB would hit the TE on the wide open far side for a shit ton of yards?

I loved that play.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you remember that play where he'd have the TE in to block, then fall to the ground as the QB bootlegged to the opposite side of the field, then the TE would get back up after his defender went in pursuit of the QB, and the QB would hit the TE on the wide open far side for a shit ton of yards?

I loved that play.

unfortunately thats about all Coslet had going for him

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Fwiw.

Dumbass Watkins just said on the score he thinks Garrett will call plays and tice will be the te coach.

Said if an outside guy comes in and calls plays Callahan will leave. It's him or Garrett.

He also said sporano isn't coming here and hue Jackson's agent is trying to set up a meeting with Jerry/Stephen at the senior bowl to get on the staff here.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Honestly I dont care if he calls plays. He can improve, but the biggest improvement on offense will come by upgrading the OL, not by changing who calls plays.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Fwiw.

Dumbass Watkins just said on the score he thinks Garrett will call plays and tice will be the te coach.

Said if an outside guy comes in and calls plays Callahan will leave. It's him or Garrett.

He also said sporano isn't coming here and hue Jackson's agent is trying to set up a meeting with Jerry/Stephen at the senior bowl to get on the staff here.

I just love the cohesiveness of the staff that has been assembled. Ultimatums are the textbook definition of unity.

However, I don't blame Callahan. He has the title, hasn't been given a shot at all to say he couldn't do better but management is hell bound on not letting him have a shot?

If this were the case and I were him, I'd put some feelers out there to see if another head coach wanted to hire me. If so, I'd walk into Jerry's office and take a fat shit on the floor right in front of him. If not, I'd stay and start keeping a bottle of whiskey in the desk.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I just love the cohesiveness of the staff that has been assembled. Ultimatums are the textbook definition of unity.

However, I don't blame Callahan. He has the title, hasn't been given a shot at all to say he couldn't do better but management is hell bound on not letting him have a shot?

If this were the case and I were him, I'd put some feelers out there to see if another head coach wanted to hire me. If so, I'd walk into Jerry's office and take a fat shit on the floor right in front of him. If not, I'd stay and start keeping a bottle of whiskey in the desk.

I'm sure someone would hire him, he's pretty well respected as an OL coach supposedly.

That said, if he leaves we arnt losing much. Other than Costa not a single OL improved their play under Callahan, and with Costa we dont know for sure becasue he only played one full game and parts of two others.

Top Bottom