dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wonder if us letting DeCamillis out his deal to go to Chicago was contingent on the Bears letting Marinelli out of his to rejoin Kiffin in Dallas.

Brad Biggs‏@BradBiggs

It will be interesting to see what happens. Word I hear is #Cowboys DC Monte Kiffin is hopeful he can get Rod Marinelli to join him.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
First bit of good news

Bring marinelli, Melton and a first rounder on the line....

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Marinelli is widely regarded as one of the best DL coaches in football, and he is a bright defensive mind in general.

He'd be an excellent addition.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
My sources (aka google searches) say they likely want to keep him, but he may not want to stay. Read another poster claiming he will go to Cleveland.

That's the only problem -- he'll be in demand as a DC.

Reaction score
This dude was an HC and can get DC positions. I doubt he'd come work for this circus as some positional coach.

Slatemosphere

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I bet he goes where lovie goes or just gets a DC job but wow this would be an awesome move.

Guys like idonaje and melton have gone from JAGS to probowlers under him

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Marinelli is widely regarded as one of the best DL coaches in football, and he is a bright defensive mind in general.

He'd be an excellent addition.

Yeah, no thanks.

Nothing against Marinelli and I'm not knocking him in any way.

But if this is true, Dallas will hand him a pile of shit and some oregano and ask him to produce a five star dinner, just as they did with Callahan.

For some reason this team believes that coaching can make up for a lack of talent along the lines but talent can overcome shitty coaching at other positions. Pretty much the only explanation for Dave Campo remaining as a coach for so long.

By the way, anyone see how Dave's Jayhawk secondary faired on defense? They were fucking atrocious, being a part of the the 112th ranked defense in college football and allowed 36 points per game. ESPN rated them the 8th worst fucking team in college football and shit was so bad that this happened:

"Falls On Me": Kansas' Big 12 losing streak continues. Things have gotten so bad, Charlie Weis offered to pay the price of admission for students who turned out for the Jayhawks' 51-23 loss to Iowa State on senior day.

That team is just an embarrassment all around but any team giving up 50+ points 4 times in a 12 game season is going lose almost all of those games.

Reaction score
Rod Marinelli could be leaving Chicago
Posted by Curtis Crabtree
January 17, 2013, 1:40 AM EST

The Chicago Bears seemed hopeful they would be able to hold on to defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli in the wake of firing head coach Lovie Smith at the end of the season.

However, with new head coach Marc Trestman in place, Marinelli may no longer want to stay in Chicago.

According to Mark Potash of the Chicago Sun-Times, Marinelli could opt for a “fresh start” out of loyalty to Smith. Trestman is expected to meet with Marinelli and other members of Smith’s staff on Thursday to decide who he wants to keep.

Per Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com, “signs point” to Marinelli leaving the Bears.

It would be a big blow to a Bears defense that was among the league’s best all season. Chicago finished the season as the fifth-ranked defense and led the league with 44 turnovers.

According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, Dallas Cowboys new defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin is hopeful to get Marinelli to join his staff in Dallas.

With Kiffin already in place as defensive coordinator, Marinelli would likely be taking a lesser role (likely as defensive line coach) if he went to Dallas. It’s possible he would be named assistant head coach to Jason Garrett, which is a title he also holds with the Bears.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Omg hoof bite.

U guys have gone over the edge.

Hatcher, ratliff crawford, lissemore, ware, draft pick, free agent

Shouldn't be that bad. Plus maybe he is the exact kind of guy to coach Brian price into a player.

I imagine the d- line will be treated like the secondary was last year.

How could u complain about marinelli coaching the line here? That is just foolish.

Reaction score
theebs said:
Plus maybe he is the exact kind of guy to coach Brian price into a player.

It bears noting (pun intended, I slay me) that it was the Bears who Price was traded to last year, and they cut him before the season.

That could've been because he wasn't ready to return to action. But it seems like IR would be an option there. So maybe Marinelli/Lovie, etc didn't like him.

I just now thought of that.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It bears noting (pun intended, I slay me) that it was the Bears who Price was traded to last year, and they cut him before the season.

That could've been because he wasn't ready to return to action. But it seems like IR would be an option there. So maybe Marinelli/Lovie, etc didn't like him.

I just now thought of that.

Yep no doubt

Reaction score
I hope that's not the case because I'm being Homer McHomey about Price, and thinking we stole something there.

Kind of like how I felt we might've stolen something with Dimetrius Underwood, former first rounder, when we signed him way back when. And that really fat OT from Wisconsin...

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Trestman reportedly meeting with the Bears assistants today to discuss whether they stay or not. We may hear about Marinelli's status today. Supposedly he isnt really interested in staying there.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Several reports saying Marinelli is not returning to Chicago. LaConfora saying decent chance he comes to Dallas because of Kiffin.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Zach Zaidman ‏ @ ZachZaidman
Multiple sources tell WSCR that Rod Marinelli will not be # Bears defensive coordinator under new head coach Marc Trestman.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Several reports saying Marinelli is not returning to Chicago not. LaConfora saying decent chance he comes to Dallas because of Kiffin.

I'd feel alot better about the Kiffin hire if Marinelli came along. If Marinelli comes, I would think it would be with the idea of him taking over for Kiffin.

Top Bottom