Iamtdg

Reaction score
Jerry Jones ignoring the real issue

If owner was really serious about change at Valley Ranch, he'd step down as GM
Updated: January 9, 2013, 9:23 PM ET
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

The more things change at Valley Ranch, the more they stay the same.

Jerry Jones sure has followed through on his vow to make folks out there uncomfortable. Running backs coach Skip Peete and defensive coordinator Rob Ryan already have been kicked to the curb -- or beach, in Ryan's case. Ryan's guys have been told to go ahead and interview for other gigs in case whoever is hired as defensive coordinator doesn't want to keep them. The offensive assistants can't feel too secure, either, with Jerry on a postseason power trip.

Head coach Jason Garrett, who might or might not still have a say on who makes up his staff, might get his play-calling duties revoked. His opinion doesn't seem to carry much weight in the matter, at least not as much as what Jerry hears from his good-ol'-boy advisory committee of outsiders. The process of turning a man with a spine into a Jerry puppet apparently takes two seasons without a playoff bid.

Garrett will definitely head into his third training camp "in charge" -- and quotes are necessary there now -- with the hottest seat in the NFL.

Too bad someone can't turn up the heat in the general manager's office.

The fact that Jerry Jones won't even consider stepping down as general manager makes him the NFL's biggest hypocrite.

Dadgummit, Jerry ain't standing for a couple of 8-8 seasons! Time for some drastic changes! Almost everything is on the table!

Well, except for the one constant from the Cowboys' 128-128 stretch.

Hmm, let's see, six head coaches, dozens of assistants, hundreds of players, one general manager and one playoff win over 16 seasons. Gee whiz, can anyone figure out the primary reason America's Team is a mediocre mess?!

All this shuffling at Valley Ranch is like treating a rash without dealing with the cause of the allergic reaction.

Of course, we can holler about the obvious until we're hoarse. It doesn't matter because Jerry is way too stubborn and arrogant to change his mind.

Yeah, Jerry desperately wants to win. As long as he gets the lion's share of the credit.

His ego takes priority over giving the Cowboys the best chance to succeed.

Jerry is incapable of being brutally honest with himself when it comes to his ability to build a football team, which ranks a little above selling panties and starring in pizza commercials among his many professional responsibilities. Or he's simply too selfish to cede control.

In a rare moment of self-esteem weakness during a midseason interview on NBC, Jerry even admitted he would have fired his GM at some point in the past decade and a half if he didn't see that man in the mirror every day. That's an incredibly ridiculous comment that makes perfect sense when viewed through the prism of someone who bought the Cowboys to become famous and is hell-bent on proving he isn't a football fool despite almost two decades of post-dynasty evidence.

"When I bought the team, the night I bought it, I said I would be doing what I'm doing," Jerry said after a midseason loss to the Atlanta Falcons, and hours after that interview aired, justifying in his mind why he'll be the GM until his final breath. "And that's GM the team and make the final decision on all personnel. That's the way it's always been done.

"We won three Super Bowls doing that, and so I want to do it again."

Never mind that Jimmy Johnson made the football decisions during the days that Dallas' '90s dynasty was being built, which Jerry's original coach proudly and loudly pointed out after those comments were made.

Those three Super Bowls sure were swell, but there are a bunch of kids old enough to drive who have witnessed a grand total of one playoff win for the Cowboys.

Pointing that out to Jerry causes the GM to grit his teeth, which criticism doesn't often cause from a man who has armadillo shell for skin.

"I think that I know how our organization runs and I know the best way to make decisions for us," Jerry said that night in Atlanta. "And that's the best way. I know that's what motivates me as an owner and causes me to basically do the best job that I can."

Jerry's performance in that job guarantees the Valley Ranch revolving door will keep spinning for years to come.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
same scenario as how asshole owens ended up here.

we missed the playoffs in 04 and then in 05 in the final week.

so all bets were off and the jones's did what they wanted in spite of the program parcells was building.

maybe if we hadn't signed owens they would have made sure to get Jennings instead of just missing him in the draft.

either way. The Jones family has no plan and no idea of how to patiently build or maintain a winner.

Reaction score
Tim McMahon is my favorite.

Stick it to the old relic.

Dadgummit, Jerry ain't standing for a couple of 8-8 seasons! Time for some drastic changes! Almost everything is on the table!

lol

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Tim McMahon is my favorite.

Stick it to the old relic.

that's just the schtick of the espn 103.3 crew. There boss is Galloway and everyone who works for them talks about jerry 24/7 because he does and wants them to for attention.

there main producer who runs the online element, I guess another boss is a steelers fan and hates the cowboys.

that is why you see all the espn 103.3 guys basically write the exact same articles and say the exact same things all year.. win or lose.

archer is the only one who just covers the team without the tmz stuff.

these guys at 103.3 spent a week complaining after the steelers win because we almost went for the huge fg at the end. its just there thing, the ticket dominates in this market and these guys need a schtick and the schtick is jerry.

btw I am not saying I like jerry, clearly I am not a fan of the jones's.

Reaction score
Well, in their defense, if you're going to cover this team with any semblence of intellectual honesty, how can you not hold Jerrys feet to the fire.

I get what you're saying about them always bashing the Cowboys. Some of that might be unwarranted. But Jerry deserves all the heat he gets.

The man is literally holding this team hostage.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Fuck that. He deserves to be bashed 24/7. Over and over and over again.

Keep it coming, Tim.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well, in their defense, if you're going to cover this team with any semblence of intellectual honesty, how can you not hold Jerrys feet to the fire.

I get what you're saying about them always bashing the Cowboys. Some of that might be unwarranted. But Jerry deserves all the heat he gets.

The man is literally holding this team hostage.

no doubt about it.

but guys like Todd Archer understands its a lost cause, the jones family is not going anywhere so lets just evaluate the team, there play and the coaches.

btw, charlotte Anderson went to Stanford.......that is a better school than Princeton. Maybe Charlotte is going to be named the next coach.....her husband ran the desperadoes, so they probably talked about football at the table with her dad and brothers and her husband.

she is the ideal candidate.

Reaction score
EVERY writer and EVERY fan should write articles about this wrinkly bastard EVERY day.

If he won't fix the true issue with this organization, he should at least have to read about how sh*tty he is at how he runs it.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
EVERY writer and EVERY fan should write articles about this wrinkly bastard EVERY day.

If he won't fix the true issue with this organization, he should at least have to read about how sh*tty he is at how he runs it.

Absolutely. They also should be asking the questions MacMahon asked him in the locker room about midseason, too. Ask him why the one constant is always safe over and over again. Make that motherfucker squirm and dance around the hard questions.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score

they have for 20 years. He likes the attention. Why do you think he does a tv show and two radio interviews a week.

His favorite saying is never get mad at your money.

he depends on the attention.

it is my belief if all the media just ignored him and fans tuned him out and didn't worry about what he said that would be the most powerful thing a fan and the media could do.

The current situation Is anytime he says anything it is a national story. Every time we are marginally improved he perks up and declares superbowl and looks for more attention.

take away the attention and he would be deflated. Just like what happened this year at the stadium against the giants....

they put jerry on the video board during a breast cancer awareness add and everytime it was jerry talking the entire 95000 of us booed him. when we mounted the comeback they showed jerry in his box on the video board and everyone went from cheering to immediatealy booing... same happened to garrett.

for the rest of the season jerry was never shown on the big board again, garrett was sparingly on replays.

think about that and think about how much it must be driving him crazy to not be able to be shown on his own videoboard in his own billion dollar stadium.

it must be killing him. The huge crew that runs the in game presentation knew they could not show him again on the video board and only tried one time, during the steelers game when we were winning and he was on the board for about 2 seconds and that was it.

that is the kind of thing that gets change, pissing him off by taking away is his attention and ability to sell.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
no doubt about it.

but guys like Todd Archer understands its a lost cause, the jones family is not going anywhere so lets just evaluate the team, there play and the coaches.

btw, charlotte Anderson went to Stanford.......that is a better school than Princeton. Maybe Charlotte is going to be named the next coach.....her husband ran the desperadoes, so they probably talked about football at the table with her dad and brothers and her husband.

lol

Reaction score
Absolutely. They also should be asking the questions MacMahon asked him in the locker room about midseason, too. Ask him why the one constant is always safe over and over again. Make that motherfucker squirm and dance around the hard questions.

I agree. If we all have to be comfortable watching that trainwreck of product he puts on the field yearly, he should be made as uncomfortable as possible whenever he reads an article about the team OR is asked a question about it.

Maybe if they would overwhelm him with tough questions about how shitty of a job he does, he wouldn't want to be running to every interview or radio show he can stick his leather looking face in on.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
they have for 20 years. He likes the attention.

He was visibly PISSED when MacMahon asked him those questions in the locker room about midseason. He didn't seem to like that kind of attention. He hates having to answer those kinds of questions. Keep em coming.

Reaction score
no doubt about it.

If you believe Jones is the problem then talking about anything else is also just as futile.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If you believe Jones is the problem then talking about anything else is also just as futile.

the jones's plural are the problem.

You can not affect him by talking about him and debating him however. As long as you are talking about him he is winning. He will always have the upper hand in any situation.

if you guys think he cares about the actual reaction when he is questioned you are wrong.

the only thing that matters is that there is some sort of reaction. He doesn't care if he says the wrong thing, gets caught in a lie, throws coaches/ players under the bus etc.........he has done all of that. He has been grilled and questioned by the best media people in sports for 20 years and has parlayed that into making himself a celebrity.

The ticket refused to renew there radio contract with the cowboys because they felt they were not gaining anything and not making any extra money from having them on the station. So they didn't renew it. Jerry and Stephen were pissed. The ticket is the ratings king.

Jerry's response to that was to take the team to the fan/93.3 the bone. He stopped doing his Friday interviews with norm hitzges that he has done since 95. Then he fired stadium P.A. announcer George dunham, a ticket staple and long time p.a voice.

take away his attention and he gets pissed. Continue to feed his attention and you are empowering him.

like jimmy said in his football life piece, jerry told him I can make a 10 million dollar deal and no one cares but if I draft a backup lineman everyone cares.

its all about attention. The reaction, the questions do not matter.

Reaction score
the jones's plural are the problem.

You can not affect him by talking about him and debating him however. As long as you are talking about him he is winning. He will always have the upper hand in any situation.

if you guys think he cares about the actual reaction when he is questioned you are wrong.

the only thing that matters is that there is some sort of reaction. He doesn't care if he says the wrong thing, gets caught in a lie, throws coaches/ players under the bus etc.........he has done all of that. He has been grilled and questioned by the best media people in sports for 20 years and has parlayed that into making himself a celebrity.

The ticket refused to renew there radio contract with the cowboys because they felt they were not gaining anything and not making any extra money from having them on the station. So they didn't renew it. Jerry and Stephen were pissed. The ticket is the ratings king.

Jerry's response to that was to take the team to the fan/93.3 the bone. He stopped doing his Friday interviews with norm hitzges that he has done since 95. Then he fired stadium P.A. announcer George dunham, a ticket staple and long time p.a voice.

take away his attention and he gets pissed. Continue to feed his attention and you are empowering him.

like jimmy said in his football life piece, jerry told him I can make a 10 million dollar deal and no one cares but if I draft a backup lineman everyone cares.

its all about attention. The reaction, the questions do not matter.

Good points. Only thing i would say is that nobody likes to be hated or looked at like a failure. I don’t think he is a failure, not in the real world that is. Guy is a guzillionaire. But i think rubbing his face in his own shit probably annoys him a little. The fans booing his ugly mug on the big tv has to eat at him some. Just human nature.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good points. Only thing i would say is that nobody likes to be hated or looked at like a failure. I don’t think he is a failure, not in the real world that is. Guy is a guzillionaire. But i think rubbing his face in his own shit probably annoys him a little. The fans booing his ugly mug on the big tv has to eat at him some. Just human nature.

from the look on his face that night during the comeback I would say it was killing him.

media local or national never talks about this story. I always find that fascinating. Todd Archer and carlos mendez always have tidbits about the stadium and the fans and stuff, but both have missed on this.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
they put jerry on the video board during a breast cancer awareness add and everytime it was jerry talking the entire 95000 of us booed him. when we mounted the comeback they showed jerry in his box on the video board and everyone went from cheering to immediatealy booing

I love this!!

Top Bottom