cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It has been reported (by our newest member, TheBoMartinShow) that we will be as much as $22 million over the 2013 Salary Cap. There goes my Jairus Byrd dreams. If we were to Franchise Tag Anthony Spencer that would be approx. $32 million over and that’s before signing any draft picks. It is my understanding that trading a player creates the same hit as cutting them and with teams knowing our cap situation, I wouldn’t expect to get fair (if any) value in trades. Here’s a look at some of the bigger cap hits in 2013 and what it would cost to cut them:

QB Tony Romo, Age 33 (as of week 1 next year)
2013 Salary Cap number: $16,818,833.
2013 Cap hit if traded/released: $5,318,833. Creates $11.5M in cap room.
Best guess: Contract extension and reducing the 2013 cap number.

WR Miles Austin, Age 29
2013 Salary Cap Number: $8,302,000
2013 Cap hit if traded/released: $4,710,000. Creates $3.592M in cap room.
*if designated a June 1 cut, the 2013 cap hit would be $1.57M (creating $6.732M in cap room) and we would get hit an additional $3.14M in 2014.
Best guess: Tough one. None of these numbers include the extra $5M cap number we have for his illegal contract which we get hit with whether he is here or not. He is a favorite of both Jerry and Romo but his injuries and cap numbers make him hard to keep. My hope is that he restructures.

TE Jason Witten, Age 31
2013 Salary Cap Number: $8,000,000
I won’t even include the cap hit if released numbers since there is zero chance of it happening. I only included Witten because he is candidate to restructure and free up some cap room.

T Doug Free, Age 29
2013 Salary Cap Number: $11,175,000
2013 Cap hit if traded/released: $8,350,000. Creates $2.825M in cap room.
*if designated a June 1 cut, the 2013 cap hit would be $4.175M (creating $7 M in cap room) and we would get hit an additional $4.175M in 2014.
Best guess: As good as gone. The only thing I’m worried about is that Jones will once again anoint someone (Parnell) to a starting job without any actual competition.

FB Lawrence Vickers, Age 30
2013 Salary Cap number: $1,300,000
2013 Cap hit if released: $100,000, Creates $1.2M in cap room.
Best guess: Not a huge number and he came on towards the end of the season. If the cap is too tight, they can sign a fullback for less than the $1.2M but it may not be worth the drop off.
NT Jay Ratliff, Age 32
2013 Salary Cap number: $7,000,000
2013 Cap hit if traded/released: $6,000,000. Creates $1M in cap room.
*if designated a June 1 cut, the 2013 cap hit would be $ 2M (creating $5M in cap room) and we would get hit an additional $4 M in 2014.
Best guess: On one hand you have his age, injuries, and recent argument with Jerry Jones. Then, you have the Josh Brent situation and not a lot of Nose Tackle options on the roster. I think this will depend on any coaching changes made (or not made).

DE Marcus Spears, Age 30
2013 Salary Cap Number: $2,700,000
2013 Cap hit if traded/released: $2,100,000. Creates $600k in cap room.
*if designated a June 1 cut, the 2013 cap hit would be $ 700k (creating $2M in cap room) and we would get hit an additional $1.4M in 2014.
Best guess: June 1 cut. Spears is a great team guy but the team has to get some production from their defensive line. This is a chance to get younger and cheaper.

OLB DeMarucs Ware, Age 31
2013 Salary Cap Number: $12,221,750
See Jason Witten. Hopefully, he restructures and brings that 2013 cap number down.

CB Brandon Carr, Age 27
2013 Salary Cap number: $16,300,000
His contract is set up to jump up $13.1M in base salary in Year 2 of his deal so my guess is that it was set up with the idea to restructure, get Carr more guaranteed money in restructuring bonuses. Otherwise, this was a horrible deal and I’m a huge Carr fan.

CB Orlando Scandrick, Age 26
2013 Salary Cap number: $3,780,000
2013 Cap hit if traded/released: $6,520,000. Takes up an additional $2.74 M in cap room.
*if designated a June 1 cut, the 2013 cap hit would be $1.78M (creating $2M in cap room) and we would get hit an additional $4.74M in 2014.
Best guess: That contract dictates he will be here another year. Have to wonder what the Cowboys were thinking with that deal.

S Gerald Sensabaugh, Age 30
2013 Salary Cap Number: $3,750,000.
2013 Cap hit if traded/released: $2,250,000. Creates $1.5M in cap room.
*if designated a June 1 cut, the 2013 cap hit would be $750k (creating $3M in cap room) and we would get hit an additional $1.5M in 2014.
Best guess: The Cowboys have a blind spot when it comes to Sensabaugh’s play. He is one player I would pay to leave. The June 1st cut makes sense with him but the Cowboys have to first admit an upgrade is needed at his position.

This isn’t even some key, impending free agents:

Anthony Spencer OLB
Mike Jenkins CB
Felix Jones RB
Ernie Sims ILB
Phil Costa C (restricted)
Kevin Ogletree WR
Victor Butler OLB
John Phillips TE
Kenyon Coleman DE
L.P. Ladouceur LS
Charlie Peprah S
Eric Frampton S
Danny McCray S (restricted)

All off-seasons are important but this is going to be a crucial one for the Cowboys. With marquee players like Ware, Witten, Romo in their early 30’s there may not be too many runs left for this core. In my opinion, how the team handles the 2013 salary cap will impact the team for the next several years.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Scandrick is only 26. I feel like he has been under performing on this team for 10 years

Reaction score
You got to let Spencer go. You just can't pay a 30 year old big money. That's bad money - even if he did have a great year.

I'd get rid of Vickers. Not worth it and saves the money.

Difficult decision with Miles.

Yeah, we're not going to be players in free agency at all. I'm okay with that.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Scandrick is only 26. I feel like he has been under performing on this team for 10 years

I have no fucking clue why he got that contract extension. The guy makes 1 good play at the most for every 10 bad ones. He sucks.

Reaction score
Our GM just got the Cotton Bowl a title game.

I'm sure he has had plenty of time to figure this other stuff out too. :awkward

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If Free , Spears, and Sensabugh were designated June 1st cuts, that's $12 million right there. Problem is, it's harder to replace them after June 1st.

I'm sure Jerry will sell us on how amazing Parnell, Tyrone Crawford, and Matt Johnson are. Look out NFL!

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I really don't get why you all hate Sensabaugh. Our deep coverage was pretty good this season, he made some game changing plays (laying the wood on Richardson at the first down marker) and was good in run support for the most part until we lost the entire middle of our defense. That is a quality, cheap signing by us - the kind championship teams make and we don't make enough of. I'd submit that Carr was more of a liability on our defense, for WAY more money.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Carr was awful this year, but that had to be coaching. He doesn't just go from being one of the best CBs in the league to one of the worst overnight.

Like I said, this whole coaching staff needs to be shitcanned. Reminds me of the Campo, Coslet, and other losers we had on staff during that last 5-11 season. Just a bunch of inept retards.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Carr was awful this year, but that had to be coaching. He doesn't just go from being one of the best CBs in the league to one of the worst overnight.

Like I said, this whole coaching staff needs to be shitcanned.

I don't know how you coach him to not be too slow to follow Greg Little across the field. And I'm tired of hearing our corner problems be blamed on Campo/Henderson/Wade/the coach du jour.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I say for every good play Sensabaugh makes, he makes about 4 bad ones. He takes horrible angles on plays and guesses wrong way too often. Even the coaching staff admitted he takes way too many plays off.

I love the safety position. I played it, coached it, and hope to coach it again. Not saying this to say I know better than anyone, because I do not. Just trying to explain my constant observation of that position. I'm extra critical of it so it's usually on the top of my list. Sensabaugh just doesn't do enough back there to justify the team not bringing in legitimate competition IMO.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't know how you coach him to not be too slow to follow Greg Little across the field. And I'm tired of hearing our corner problems be blamed on Campo/Henderson/Wade/the coach du jour.

I've never seen cornerbacks playing so far off the ball and so slow to react to recievers in my life. He didn't get a $50 million contract playing like that.

Ryan wanted cornerbacks and then didn't use them. Jerry needs to get 4 of the biggest bouncers he has at Valley Ranch and throw his fat ass out of the front door.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I say for every good play Sensabaugh makes, he makes about 4 bad ones. He takes horrible angles on plays and guesses wrong way too often. Even the coaching staff admitted he takes way too many plays off.

I love the safety position. I played it, coached it, and hope to coach it again. Not saying this to say I know better than anyone, because I do not. Just trying to explain my constant observation of that position. I'm extra critical of it so it's usually on the top of my list. Sensabaugh just doesn't do enough back there to justify the team not bringing in legitimate competition IMO.

Well casmith he's 30 years old so obviously we should be looking at the position in the draft. I just think if you look around the league, at the price-point we have Sensabaugh here you are not going to find better safety play.

Reaction score
If Free , Spears, and Sensabugh were designated June 1st cuts, that's $12 million right there. Problem is, it's harder to replace them after June 1st.

I'm sure Jerry will sell us on how amazing Parnell, Tyrone Crawford, and Matt Johnson are. Look out NFL!

Crawford is awful, shades of igor olshansky being thrown into our secondary. He's not strong enough to be a 5
Parnell is ok by me but they'll probably draft someone in the mid-rounds
Ill play matt johndon or church at SS, I just think we need more speed from our single high.

Reaction score
Crawford is awful?

Our Dline coach was just quoted as saying he exceeded expectations.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I just think if you look around the league, at the price-point we have Sensabaugh here you are not going to find better safety play.

I just don't agree.

I think philosophically we are flawed. The league is pass happy so you would think you would want more cover oriented safeties but we instead go with two in-the-box safeties. We also put a tremendous amount of pressure on our cornerbacks to cover and keep covering receivers without the luxury of a consistent pass rush, over-the-top safety help, or even by blitzing. Earl Thomas, a very high draft pick I know, is an ideal safety for today's game. He is always around the ball.

This is one of the better drafts for Safeties in the last 5 years. I hope we at least consider upgrading.

Top Bottom