Reaction score
Anyone ever read War Room? It's the book about the Patriots dynasty. In the book, they share how Pioli, Belichick, and Dimitrioff built a comlpex and unique way of evaluating players and then stacking their boards appropriately.

Outlined how well they did in a number of drafts as a result.

Then went on to say how in 2006... the coaches basically ignored the scouts and took two players the scouts were adament they don't take.

The scouts told them how Laurence Maroney was lazy and immature. Said he wouldn't fit in with the Patriots. But, Josh McDaniels brother at the time was an assistant coach with the University of Minnesota and disagreed with the scouts. For whatever reason, Bill sided with McDaniels and the Pats took Maroney. Bust.

The scouts also warned the Patriots not to take Chad Jackson. Brian Dabol, the receivers coach, after meeting with Jackson, even told Belichick that he didn't want to coach the kid. Scouts indicated he was a "me" guy and didn't have a passion for the game. For some reason, Belichick took him anyways.

These are just two examples of a number of examples out there. Pair that with Parcells wanting Spears at 11. Wade Phillips falling in love with Jason Williams despite scouts warnings, etc.

Coaches shouldn't really be involved in player evaluations. They should just tell the scouts what they want in players, and let the scouts find those players and build the board.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Agree. I've read interviews from scouts stating that they hate when coaches get involved at the end of the year after they spend a whole year scouting

I have read that book as well. Pretty solid

Reaction score
Thought it was interesting how they mentioned that the only other receiver Brian Dabol ever came accross that he went back to his team and said he didn't want to coach was a guy Jerry drafted, propped up, gave the #88, and sold as the next great Cowboy................. Antonio Bryant.

:suicide

GO COWBOYS

Reaction score
That’s tough to say because coaches are talent evaluators too. Part of putting together a 53 man roster consists of scouting players and seeing their potential. I don’t think it’s a black and white issue.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So since you've read the book... What was Pioli's role in the NE setup?

Curious considering his epic failure in KC.

Reaction score
So since you've read the book... What was Pioli's role in the NE setup?

Curious considering his epic failure in KC.

Essentially second in command. Belichick had final say. Pioli was one of the people Bill trusted the most. They talk about how Bill hired him in Cleveland and treated him more like a boss would treat an employee. But when BB hired him in New England, he had such respect for him that they had a lot of level one conversations, and that they were on the same wavelength with regards to player evaluation.

Did Pioli really fail that bad in KC? I haven't looked at or recent drafts too closely that he was in charge of - although Poe seemed like a foolish pick. Just seems like all they need is a QB and they'd be alright.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Thanks amigo.

Yes, it's absolutely an unmitigated disaster in KC. Hiring that jerk Todd Haley based on being a fellows Parcells guy? Then Crennel? Drafting a blah 34 end at #3 overall? Being responsible for that terrible QB situation by thinking Cassel was the answer? Finishing 2-14?

Reaction score
Thanks amigo.

Yes, it's absolutely an unmitigated disaster in KC. Hiring that jerk Todd Haley based on being a fellows Parcells guy? Then Crennel? Drafting a blah 34 end at #3 overall? Being responsible for that terrible QB situation by thinking Cassel was the answer? Finishing 2-14?

Well, I think it goes hand in hand. Yeah, he had shit coaching staffs, and that's his fault as a GM for hiring those guys.

But perhaps the players failed BECAUSE the coaching sucked.

Perhaps the players in New England succeeded BECAUSE of the excellent coaching.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Interesting you brought this up as Jerry said last year that he lets the scouts have the final say regards to who we draft.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
That’s tough to say because coaches are talent evaluators too. Part of putting together a 53 man roster consists of scouting players and seeing their potential. I don’t think it’s a black and white issue.

Yeah, but they don't live and breathe scouting players.

Top Bottom