dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting:

Cowboys take chance on Brian Price

December, 31, 2012

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – The Cowboys have signed 10 players to futures contracts, including former second-round pick Brian Price, who was out of football this year.

Price, a defensive tackle, was the 35th overall pick by Tampa Bay in 2010 but his career has been stalled by injury and misfortune. He needed radical pelvis surgeries after his rookie year to keep his hamstrings attached to his pelvis. His sister died last spring in a car accident, and he also reportedly had an incident with Mark Barron in a meeting room.

He started 14 games in 2011 and had three sacks. He was traded to Chicago last summer but was among the Bears’ final cuts and did not sign with another team during the year.

Price is an intriguing signing because he is still young and the Cowboys have defensive line issues coming forward with Jay Ratliff’s health and Josh Brent’s intoxication manslaughter charge.

The Cowboys also signed practice squad players cornerback Vince Agnew, wide receiver Tim Benford, defensive end Ike Igbinosun, cornerback Micah Pellerin, linebacker Brashton Satele, tight end Andre Smith and linebacker Monte Taylor to future deals. Wide receiver Danny Coale, a fifth-round pick this year, was also re-signed. He is coming back from a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

The Cowboys also signed quarterback Nick Stephens, a Flower Mound native. He started his career at Tennessee before transferring to Tarleton State.

The only practice squad not to re-sign yet is wide receiver Andre Holmes

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Video of new QB Nick Stephens, 6'4, 230lbs. Big kid, looks like he has a live arm.

[video=youtube;pBsQCiinqAk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBsQCiinqAk[/video]

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
UCLA DT Brian Price clips:

[video=youtube;irQMYESMEaY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irQMYESMEaY[/video]

Reaction score
Intrigued by the Price signing, although I don't remember anything about him other than him supposedly being a knucklehead and not a team player.

Nick Stephens is garbage. I don't know why we keep giving him a shot. He couldn't get above 3rd string on a bad Tennessee QB depth chart. No instincts or pocket presence.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Nick Stephens is garbage. I don't know why we keep giving him a shot. He couldn't get above 3rd string on a bad Tennessee QB depth chart. No instincts or pocket presence.

Sounds like we got our man. Mission accomplished scouting department!

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
6'4" QB who has a terrible release point. I bet Romo's release point is higher.

Looks crappy.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So basically as I am seeing this, you guys think these new studs suck ass?

Reaction score
Well, again, I like the Price signing. Low risk, high reward.

If he got healthy this year, and if it gave him perspective, we might've stole a quality Dline player.

But Nick Stephens is garbage.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
UCLA DT Brian Price clips:

[video=youtube;irQMYESMEaY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irQMYESMEaY[/video]

The first minute or so of that video looks like a low-light video for Price.

Jesus Christ, I thought I was watching a vid on "how to get blocked out of the play.".

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The first minute or so of that video looks like a low-light video for Price.

Jesus Christ, I thought I was watching a vid on "how to get blocked out of the play.".

It does say "2009 highlights/lowlights" on it.

Whoever posted it said Price was his favorite player in the draft, and would go top-10 overall. I think he ended up being early 2nd rd.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Price is definitely not a RKG so this may be a sign of a change in philosophy. He was dominant at times his Junior year in Westwood. He's more suited for 4-3 DT (another good sign?) but from a pure talent level he is on a much higher level than the usual mega-JAG's we sign for roster depth.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
from Wiki, but I remember this being reported nationally:
During Week 13 of the 2011 NFL season, against the Carolina Panthers, Price shoved Panthers guard Mackenzy Bernadeau lol well after the end of a third-quarter play in which Cam Newton was sacked for a four-yard loss. Price was penalized for unnecessary roughness. The sack would have forced the Panthers into a 3rd-and-14 situation. However, the resulting 15-yard penalty gave the Panthers a first down, allowing them to complete a touchdown drive that put the game out of reach (the Panthers won 38-19). Buccaneers coach Raheem Morris was so incensed that he banished Price from the sideline for the rest of the game. The move drew comparisons to then San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Singletary banishing Vernon Davis from the sideline after a personal foul in 2008. Price was also reported to have had an altercation with teammate Mark Barron during a team meeting in 2012.

also, he was known to hang out with bad company (gang members) while at UCLA and was supposedly involved in fights, one where he took the side (joined in) of the alleged gang members in a physical altercation against other UCLA players.

Reaction score
I have high hopes for this guy. What a huge boost that would be for this team if he could come in and be a part of our Dline rotation for a few years.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Price sounds like a Josh Brent clone that hangs out with gang members.

How do you define right kind of guy?

Last edited:
Top Bottom