Reaction score
By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
jmachota@dallasnews.com

Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan received criticism following a 21-13 loss to the Carolina Panthers in Week 9 after saying that the Redskins would have a chance to evaluate players for the remainder of the season.

Some assumed Shanahan was suggesting that the season was over for a Washington team that dropped to 3-6. The Redskins have won their last two, pulling even with the Cowboys at 5-6.

Following a 38-31 Thanksgiving Day loss to the Redskins, the Cowboys front office began talking like Shanahan did three weeks earlier.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones and executive vice president Stephen Jones have both recently made comments about player evaluation during interviews on the team’s flagship radio station 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM].

Jerry Jones said Monday that the time has come to “evaluate your core as far as seasons to come.”

Stephen Jones agreed with his father when he was asked Wednesday about evaluating the Cowboys core.

“I think so,” Stephen Jones said. “Anytime you go through a season you have to evaluate what type of season they had. With each player there’s significant money attached, especially to your core group of guys. And if they’re not playing to their money than you certainly have to take a look at it because we’re one of those teams that, to be real candid with you, we’re up against the cap next year, I mean up against it tight.

“We certainly can’t afford to overlook mediocrity if a player’s had a mediocre season but he’s being paid to have a great season. Those things have to be addressed. We’ll certainly continue to look at that. I wouldn’t say underachieving is a lack of effort. I think everybody is playing hard. The question just becomes: Can they still play the way they were playing a year ago, two years ago? Those are things that we have to take a look at.”

Curious about who some of the highest paid Cowboys will be next season? Here’s a list of the team’s top 15 salaries for 2013, according to Spotrac.com.

1.) Brandon Carr – $14.3 million.

2.) Tony Romo – $11.5 million.

3.) Doug Free – $7 million.

4.) Miles Austin – $6.7 million.

5.) Jason Witten – $5.5 million.

6.) DeMarcus Ware – $5.5 million.

7.) Jay Ratliff – $5 million.

8.) Gerald Sensabaugh – $3 million.

9.) Dan Connor – $3 million.

10.) Orlando Scandrick – $2 million.

11.) Jason Hatcher – $2 million.

12.) Marcus Spears – $2 million.

13.) Mackenzy Bernadeau – $1.75 million.

14.) Nate Livings – $1.7 million.

15.) Dez Bryant – $1.5 million.

Those figures don’t reflect the cap hit that each player will have. For example, Carr’s cap hit is $16.3 million and Bryant’s is $3.8 million.

Reaction score
Free and Austin could be on the chopping block after the season. Free i would have cut already. 3 O-lineman in the top 15? lol

BTW...this season Dez has better numbers than Austin. I believe in every category? Clearly the #1 receiver.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Does any other owner's son talk as much as this guy?

Reaction score
Is there a Doug Free lowlights video floating around somewhere?

The dude has been comically owned so many times this season. Irvin almost had a stroke while going off about him after the Cleveland game.

Reaction score
Free and Austin could be on the chopping block after the season. Free i would have cut already. 3 O-lineman in the top 15? lol

BTW...this season Dez has better numbers than Austin. I believe in every category? Clearly the #1 receiver.

I'd be perfectly fine with letting Austin go.

Give Romo a line and he'll make any receiver look good. Except Roy Williams.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think Austin is too likeable by the organization and his teammates. I feel it's more likely he restructures. Plus, if he's cut we need a new starting caliber receiver. Yes, Romo is a kingmaker but our back-up WR's will get exposed as everydown starters.

I think Free's a goner.

Reaction score
I saw a stat somewhere, hope i am quoting it right, Dez has had (4) 100 yard games in his last 7 and Miles has had (4) in his last 19 games. The guy doesn’t make enough big plays anymore. Last one was the catch against the Giants in game one?

Reaction score
That and he's always injured.

Can't run deep routes anymore because he's a hammy strain waiting to happen.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
How about a photo?

A revolving door assumes you might accidentally get stuck in it and not able to get through. He is more like...

oJFv7.gif

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
“I think so,” Stephen Jones said. “Anytime you go through a season you have to evaluate what type of season they had."

When did this idea occurr to Stephen? We've never done this.

Top Bottom