Reaction score
Safety Charlie Peprah has been inactive for the two games since the Cowboys signed him off the street. But that doesn't mean they are disappointed in the seven-year veteran.

Peprah has played in 69 games, with 26 starts, in his career.

"I think the biggest thing is we feel like from a special teams standpoint, there are some other options that we can have out there [instead of Peprah]," Garrett said when asked why Peprah had been inactive. "He’s learning, and he’s a guy we feel confident in because of his experience in this league and how quickly he’s picked things up that he can go in and play safety for us. But in terms of the depth that we have right there now, we feel pretty good about where we are there. That’s why he hasn’t been active. But he’s certainly making progress and understanding what we’re trying to do. He’s a good player."

Another safety missing in action, Matt Johnson, has lost his rookie season. He has had three hamstring injuries and a back injury since he was drafted in the fourth round out of Eastern Washington. He has practiced little and played none. But the Cowboys still have him on the 53-player roster.

"Hopefully, [he will be back in] a couple of weeks," Garrett said. "We’ve got to be a little bit careful with him, don’t rush him back, because he’s had so many reoccurrences of that thing."

Reaction score
Did I read that right? Jason Garrett thinks we're good at safety, and we're not giving Peprah a shot because of special teams?

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Peprah's willingness to tackle gives him an advantage over McCray. McCray was business-decisioning all night and that was just the few times he was anywhere near the ball carrier.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Maybe Matt Johnson isn't playing because Jason Garrett can't determine how he's injured.

"recurrences of that thing."

Jerry_Jones_For_Life

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Barry Church, but safety is a big need for this team. As far as McCray, anyone is an upgrade over him at this point.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Johnson looks like he's coming along.

full-body-cast.jpg

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Did I read that right? Jason Garrett thinks we're good at safety, and we're not giving Peprah a shot because of special teams?

Is McCray still playing special teams now that he is a starter by default?

If not throw his inept backside back to special teams and let Peprah take over. Problem solved. Trust Peprah learning the system on the fly more than I do McCray just being a warm body on the field in the starting D.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Is McCray still playing special teams now that he is a starter by default?

If not throw his inept backside back to special teams and let Peprah take over. Problem solved. Trust Peprah learning the system on the fly more than I do McCray just being a warm body on the field in the starting D.

They trusted Ernie Sims and Ryan Cook to start on such notice, why not Peprah?

Of course Sims and Cook only stepped in due to injury. But really, McCray is playing like an injured player.

Top Bottom