cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The trade deadline was moved to tomorrow . For whatever reason, you're the GM these next 24 hours. What moves do you make? As always, try to be realistic. No one is giving us a 3rd round pick for Felix Jones and no one is sending us Eric Berry for a 5th.

Some things to remember:
  • We have approx $5 million in cap room
  • Our 7th round pick went to Miami for Ryan Cook C/G.
  • Again, be realistic.
  • Trades have to make (semi)sense for both teams.

Have at it. Justify your moves.

Reaction score
Contact the New York Jets and offer them Felix Jones for a conditional 7th rounder.

Conditions would be, we'd get their 7th if he gains more than 600 yards from scrimmage over remaing schedule, or if they extend him into 2013.

Contact the Washington Redskins, Detroit Lions, and other potential teams needing a cornerback and let them know that Mike Jenkins is available. Hope for a bidding war, but accept a 5th rounder immediately, or a 6th rounder that could escalate to a 5th or higher based on playing time or performance benchmarks.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Would you take Asante Samuel over Jenkins right now? Probably.

What did he go for? A potato?

I doubt anyone's going to do anything. There's no value in these trades.

Reaction score
The only trade I think we should consider would be for OL help.

I'm not really very keen on trading Felix away for a draft pick, since let's face it, he's not going to bring more than a 7th, maybe a 6th. At this point, with Murray hobbled, and not having a stellar track record with injuries, he's worth more than that to us.

Jenkins allowing us to move Carr around is too valuable to move for a late round pick.

I wouldn't trade to bring any players here aside from OL. I don't have faith in our coaches to get any new skill players up to speed in time for them to be of any use this year.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The Jets need a change and seem to be driven by media attention, so they are my first option as a partner.

I send them a package of Felix Jones RB, Kevin Ogletree WR, and Mike Jenkins CB to the Jets for Joe McKnight RB/KR and Kenrick Ellis DT.

After losing Revis, the Jets are thin at CB and are desperate for any WR help. McKnight is a valuable return man but getting Felix lessens the blow there. Ellis is their back-up NT.

For us, McKnight gives us a real return man and a valuable back-up to Felix. (For those who might think I’m being a USC homer, McKnight was a constant disappointment for me at SC. I have been impressed with his NFL career though). McKnight can and has played RB, WR, CB, KR, gunner, and has blocked some punts. (1 memorable punt against us last year). Ellis gives us some much needed beef on the defensive line.

*move creates approx. $1.8M in additional cap room

Staying in the AFC East for my next trade.

I send our 2013 4th round pick and a 2014 conditional pick to Buffalo for Jairus Byrd S.

Buffalo is going nowhere fast. They get one, possibly two draft picks for a player they are going to most likely lose to Free Agency this off-season. The 2013 conditional pick is based on whether or not he signs an extension with Dallas.

The Cowboys get a ball-hawking safety (16 interceptions, 9 forced fumbles, and 24 Passes Defended in 3 ½ year career) who will be an immediate upgrade over Danny McCray. I immediately go to work on a contract extension for the 26-year old Byrd.

*move take up approx. $615,000 in cap room.

Last, I call the Saints.

I send Marcus Spears DL to the Saints for a 2013 7th round pick.

The Saints defense needs some help and pick up the Baton Rouge native for a song.

We create a roster spot, some cap room, and ship off a player who seems to perpetually be in and out of the line-up.

*move creates approx. $2M in additional cap room

*Salary numbers were based on 2012 full-year contracts. Numbers may be half due to half of the season being played.

We add Joe McKnight, Kenrick Ellis, Jairus Byrd, and a 7th round pick. We lose Felix Jones, Kevin Ogletree, Mike Jenkins, Marcus Spears, a 4th round pick, and a conditional 2014 pick. We get younger and cheaper. With the additional cap room created I get to work on contract extensions for Byrd and yes, Romo.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
No reason to think they couldn't/wouldn't extend Jenkins before he hits the open market.

Um, he's injury prone and inconsistent, not even a starter on his own team?

This would be just another case of Dallas fans overrating their players' talent and worth.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Um, he's injury prone and inconsistent, not even a starter on his own team?

This would be just another case of Dallas fans overrating their players' talent and worth.

Yeah, that sounds like me.

Jenkins will command a pretty significant contract when he hits the market this year. I have no doubt about that. He will be someone's starting CB in 2014.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The AFC is wide open. The Jets need a starting CB badly. Lankster and Wilson are getting killed and they are having RB Joe McKnight take snaps at CB.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah jenkins trade makes perfect sense. Trade and signs happen all the time. See: Roy Williams, Clinton Portis, Brandon Lloyd, etc.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
lance_armstrong_takes_a_twitter_shot_at_jerry_jones.png

Well now I'm on the fence about this.

Maybe Hostile is Lance Armstrong. It would explain the compulsive lying.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
lance_armstrong_takes_a_twitter_shot_at_jerry_jones.png

Well now I'm on the fence about this.

Maybe Hostile is Lance Armstrong. It would explain the compulsive lying.

Lance is slamming Jerry Jones there no? Suggesting he should get the hell out of the way.

Where as Hostile think Jerry is doing just fine. (Translation: please read my long-winded posts about your greatness and hire me).

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Lance is slamming Jerry Jones there no? Suggesting he should get the hell out of the way.

Where as Hostile think Jerry is doing just fine. (Translation: please read my long-winded posts about your greatness and hire me).

The funny thing is that there used to be a handful of people that would side with Hostile, but now no one really does.

His head has to be spinning though because, as far as I can tell, his main argument these days simply seems to be "You have to just get lucky to win"

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The funny thing is that there used to be a handful of people that would side with Hostile, but now no one really does.

His head has to be spinning though because, as far as I can tell, his main argument these days simply seems to be "You have to just get lucky to win"

His argument has always been a bad one. The whole thing about "GM is just a title" and how respected our scouts are. I do know that the SF 49ers war room literally laughed out loud at Jerry for trading up for and drafting Shante Carver with the pick they traded to Dallas. (Jerry's first move as GM without Jimmy).

Even if our scouts are respected, I doubt very few GM's respect Jerry after his awful draft picks in the 90's and early 2000's, bad Joey Galloway and Roy Williams trades, pizza commercials, Victoria Secret stadium shop, etc.

Someone mentioned that he is posting in the hopes someone from the Cowboys organization will discover him and I think that's true. So we can add no pride to the list.

Last edited:

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
His argument has always been a bad one. The whole thing about "GM is just a title" and how respected our scouts are. I do know that the SF 49ers war room literally laughed out loud at Jerry for trading up for and drafting Shante Carver with the pick they traded to Dallas. (Jerry's first move as GM without Jimmy).

Even if our scouts are respected, I doubt very few GM's respect Jerry after his awful draft picks in the 90's and early 2000's, bad Joey Galloway and Roy Williams trades, pizza commercials, Victoria Secret stadium shop, etc.

Someone mentioned that he is posting in the hopes someone from the Cowboys organization will discover him and I think that's true. So we can add no pride to the list.

Are the scouts even that good? It seems like there have been quite a few that have been there awhile. I think you need some turnover from time to time or you get complacent.

As far as trades, I'd look to move Jenkins or Felix, but I doubt you can get anything of value for either.

Top Bottom