C

Cr122

Updated: August 29, 2010, 5:46 PM ET
Donovan McNabb's status unknown

ASHBURN, Va. -- It could be a smoke screen or just a cautious assessment of his quarterback's health, but Mike Shanahan says he's not certain Donovan McNabb will be available for the Washington Redskins' season opener against the Dallas Cowboys.

"I really don't know for sure," Shanahan said Sunday. "That's why it's day by day. We'll see how it goes."

McNabb hasn't practiced since spraining his left ankle in the second preseason game against Baltimore. He sat out Friday's game against the New York Jets and watched Sunday's practice with a black sleeve on his left leg.

NFC East blog

Mosley ESPN.com's Matt Mosley writes about all things NFC East in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Shanahan said the leg is too sore for McNabb to play Thursday against the Arizona Cardinals, but McNabb likely wouldn't have played in that game anyway because the coach prefers to rest his starters and some of his top backups in the final exhibition to avoid injuries. No. 2 quarterback Rex Grossman said he won't play this week either, leaving John Beck and Richard Bartel to take the snaps against the Cardinals.

The news from Shanahan was more positive concerning running back Clinton Portis, who sprained his right ankle against the Jets.

"I don't think it's too serious. It's not a big setback," Shanahan said. "I would anticipate him being able to practice in a couple of days."

Fullback Mike Sellers, who missed the Jets game, remains day to day with a sprained left knee. Backup linebacker Perry Riley sprained his right ankle against New York and was wearing a walking boot Sunday.

After pulling his left hamstring working out with McNabb in Arizona the week before training camp, Malcolm Kelly was on the filed for Sunday's light practice and plans to play in the preseason finale.

Kelly missed the first three preseason games and has fallen behind other receivers as the Redskins look ahead to the final roster cuts on Saturday. The third-year receiver was a second-round selection in 2008, but he knows some people are wondering if he'll turn out to be another wasted draft pick.

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this story.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Once again..BULLSHIT.

There is nothing wrong with either McNabb or Portis. This is a weak-ass smokescreen by Shanahan. Simple question: has an MRI been order for either McNabb or Portis? And if so... what are the results?

MRIs are not cheap---$2000 - $3000 a pop. I doubt that they would waste that kind of money if they already knew that nothing was wrong with McNabb. You take MRIs even for precautionary reasons, and being that they have not done that, is clear indication that nothing is wrong with McNabb or Portis, this is their starting QB and RB... why mess around if they truly thought that if either of them have an injury that could keep him out for a regular season game? Doing all of this would only further delay possible rehabilitation.

Is this what Shanahan the Great has to resort to just to gain an advantage?

Last edited:
C

Cr122

I think they both play as well.

They won't miss this game against us at home in the season opener.

C

Cr122

Shanahan can't be serious about McNabb

By Matt Mosley

So Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan is now casting doubt on quarterback Donovan McNabb's availability for the season opener against the Dallas Cowboys on Sept. 12. Something tells me that Wade Phillips isn't going to take the bait.

"I really don't know for sure," said Shanahan on Sunday. "That's why it's day by day. We'll see how it goes."

McNabb's backup, Rex Grossman, informed reporters that he would be held out of the club's final preseason game in case he needs to make the start against the Cowboys. This sounds like the ultimate smoke screen to me. McNabb would have to be seriously injured to miss that game and I've never had the impression that the ankle was a huge issue.

Jason Reid of the Washington Post is around this team every day -- and I noticed he's downplaying Shanahan's quote. I'd be shocked if McNabb's not ready to go for the Cowboys.

Top Bottom