Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Couple of disclaimers.

1. I took all draft picks form ProFootballReference.com. They are usually a reliable site but you never know. For some reason they have some of their Tackles listed as "T" and some listed as "OT", which almost caused me to miss a few players when I copied everything into Excel because I replaced "OT" with "OL" and the "T" were left out of the mix.

2. I DID NOT adjust for OLBs who are now DEs and DEs who are now OLBs. Spencer is a DL pick in this case. I didn't care to go team-by-team.

3. The Process:
  • I took all picks for all teams from 2007 - 20012 directly from PFR.com.
  • I I changed the position for all players who's position is along the DL to simply "DL" for sake of ease. I did the same for the offense. All positions on the OL were simply labeled as "OL".
  • I used a number of formulas throughout the entire spreadsheet. Some were referencing, some where "IF" functions, and some were "OFFSET" functions which is a complete mess to work with.
  • Each round was assigned the value of the 16th pick of it's round.
  • Each pick was multiplied by the round value.
  • Total value was calculated.

4. As you can imagine, there are a number of referencing formulas. Changing a value in one cell will propagate through multiple tables and effect everything. As a result, should any of the numbers be off please be understanding that Excel is a fucking pain and a small typo can have a huge effect.

ScreenShot2012-10-11at61827PM_zps994bc0b7.jpg

Reaction score
Lol

Funny though that gb and Pitt are so high and their OL is pure trash right now.

My frustration with our process is that there doesnt seem to be any cohesion. Wade gets his pet Jason williams who wasn't a fit here, ok whatever so we rectify that by hitting on Bruce carter(who I liked). Great now let's move on to another area of weakness, but instead they had plans on taking Utah LB, Bobby Wagner . Well then why the fudge did you redshirt carter?

You're not trying to win the draft , you're trying up win games. BPA is some bull, you cant constantly neglect the money positions. You really can't even realistically improve the ILB position. Hitting on another one does what exactly?

We've drafted as many TE's as linemen

So now we have maaaybe 1 legit home-grown OL and have to scramble to patch this shit up with limited resources that have been burned on doubling up at other positions.

It reeks of a disjointed front-office that's not constructing a team but rather taking turns on pets to maintain the triforce of leadership. We need a guy calling the shots that sees the big picture and understands the strengths, weakness, and assets of the team

Last edited:

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We have 3 homegrown lineman mb.

Hopefully costa will help in the running game and free gets better.

Reaction score
Interesting list.

Arizona is pretty low, but they're very good on both lines. Dominant on defensive line.

Saints are low, but they have a very good Oline. Dline is putrid though.

Jacksonville is high on that list.

Overall there doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between # of resources dedicated to team success.

I think, obviously, it comes down to WHO you select, player development, and coaching.

Not only have we not dedicated much in the way of resources towards our trenches, but we've also whiffed on a lot of the players we selected. Too many of our guys we drafted either not getting on the field (Arkin) or not even in the league anymore (Brewster, Marten).

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good work.

One, I personally don't like lumping in the DL and the OL together. I know they're both "trenches", but I think our DL (counting the OLBs in this defense) is fine - it's the offensive line that is killing us.

Two, like MB said, some of the bad teams have taken more OL than we have, and one of the best teams of the last few years Giants have taken less.

Another thing, FA isn't factored in here, and that's another way to get players. Not that I want to do all that work either.

Maybe we just need to pick better players, instead of the Brewsters and Arkins (and Bernadeaus).

Reaction score
God Brewster. We never even heard anything close to the infamous line "the cowboys really like him".

Last edited:

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Brewster was in Gosselin's Top 100. Had nothing to do with the Cowboys overrating the crap out of him and leaking to Gosselin that they had a 3rd round grade on him. It means lots of teams liked him.

As evidenced by him clearing waivers twice without even getting a tryout from another team since then.

Top Bottom