Reaction score
The Ranch Report: Doug Free might have had worst game by Cowboys offensive lineman in years
By David Moore / Reporter
12:33 pm on September 24, 2012

The win over the Buccaneers, in the words of head coach Jason Garrett, “was less than artistic.’’

That’s being kind.

The Cowboys were dominant on defense yet dysfunctional on offense in nudging their record to 2-1. A few thoughts:

The Cowboys come out of this game leading the NFL in defense, allowing an average of just 250 yards a game. After Tony Romo’s interception set Tampa Bay up for an easy touchdown, the Cowboys defense allowed the Bucs just 67 yards on its next nine possessions.Tampa Bay pieced together only 26 yards in the second half until its final, meaningless field goal drive.

Right tackle Doug Free may have had the worst game by a Cowboys offensive lineman since Alex Barron played a significant role in the team’s loss to Washington to open the 2010 season.

How bad was the Cowboys offense? There were 24 negative plays _ loss of yardage, penalties, turnovers _ in 66 snaps. That means in one of every three snaps something bad happened.

Having Brandon Carr alternate between cornerback and free safety was an inspired move by defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. It clearly caught the Bucs off balance. This will be a nice look to incorporate into the Cowboys defensive package over the course of the season.

The Cowboys had 13 possessions on offense. Only three of those possessions was the team not required to go more than 10 yards to pick up a first down.

The Cowboys onsides kick in the first half was a low risk gamble given how the defense was dominating the Bucs at that stage.

DeMarco Murray dominated the New York Giants in the opener by rushing for 111 yards on 12 carries in the second half. The Cowboys running back has 30 carries for 82 yards since that half with only one run that went for longer than nine yards.

Reaction score
Having Brandon Carr alternate between cornerback and free safety was an inspired move by defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. It clearly caught the Bucs off balance. This will be a nice look to incorporate into the Cowboys defensive package over the course of the season.

I don't see how taking a premier cover corner and putting him at a position he hasn't played since 11th grade is a good thing.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'm not sure to trust this d's hot start. I remember either last year or the year before, we killed it against the run to start the year then just got crushed there once the season progressed.

Reaction score
Easier to buy into this defense though because we have elite talent at linebacker and corner.

Didn't have that a few years ago.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We had a similar start on defense last year.

Last year this week we came off an ugly win and were supposed to lose to the lions and we came out like gangbusters.

Then we blew the second half and it changed the whole season.

We need to beat the bears this year, most likely in an ugly win again then get healthy and prepare for Baltimore in two weeks.

I think we at going to steal this one Monday just like we did Sunday on the back of the defense.

Reaction score
The Bears are better than the Buccanneers. They have more talent at WR, RB, and QB. Although Cutler will give our secondary chances.

I'd be really suprised if either Carr or Claiborn didn't come out of this game with a pick.

Also... hoping Ware can take advantage of that offensive line that Cutler keeps challenges to fist fights.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It just depends on which Cutler shows up. If he gets in a rhythm and feels confident, any D can be in trouble, especially if Marshall is making plays. If he looks like he did against Green Bay, we could win easily.

Not sure about Carr at safety surprising the Bucs, though. They came out in three wides and Babe on the radio thought it was because the Bucs had gotten wind of our plan. (Not that it helped them as the game went on, though.)

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Right tackle Doug Free may have had the worst game by a Cowboys offensive lineman since Alex Barron played a significant role in the team’s loss to Washington to open the 2010 season.

How bad was the Cowboys offense? There were 24 negative plays _ loss of yardage, penalties, turnovers _ in 66 snaps. That means in one of every three snaps something bad happened.

P A T H E T I C

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
sounds like forte is out, they are working out ryan grant.

Wade ran the same blitz over and over and we had two tipped ints in 10 that got us beat.

if we dont turn the ball over we should be ok this week.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Easier to buy into this defense though because we have elite talent at linebacker and corner.

Didn't have that a few years ago.

I'm a little more confident in this group, but it is still the Jerry Jason Jones Garrett run Cowboys.

They're a box of chocolates type deal.

Top Bottom