ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Remember that time when Jerry commented on a player playing or not and the media asked Parcells about it? And he snapped back, "Jerry doesn't decide who plays, I do!"

Fast forward to today.

--------------------------

Garrett Says He Doesn’t Feel Owner Is “Undermining” Him

Josh Ellis
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
Follow Josh Ellis on Twitter All Josh Ellis Articles
IRVING, Texas – There would appear to be a bit of a he-said, she-said going on at Valley Ranch regarding Felix Jones, but it may be that head coach Jason Garrett and owner Jerry Jones are saying the same thing.

During Monday’s press conference, some 24 hours after the fifth-year runner fumbled the opening kickoff of a loss to the Seattle Seahawks, Garrett responded to a question about Felix Jones in a typically noncommittal fashion.

“Somebody asked me if we were going to replace him or cut him from the team after the ballgame,” Garrett said. “Every player is evaluated, really on a weekly basis, and what their role is. Certainly, what they have done in the recent past is certainly significant, and what they have done in terms of their body of work is significant as well. We’ll continue to evaluate Felix like we do ever player on our football team and decide what that role is going forward.”

Then on Tuesday, following the meetings that wrapped up the loss to Seattle, Jerry Jones was asked the same question on his weekly radio appearance on The Fan (105.3-FM) in Dallas, and pushed aside the suggestion that the running back should be replaced as kickoff returner, and stated that Felix Jones will remain in the role, as he did for the remainder of Sunday’s game.

Facing the media again Wednesday morning, Garrett said he wasn’t bothered by the owner’s statement.

“One of the things that I think we do a really good job of in this organization is we discuss things,” Garrett said. “The Joneses and I discuss a lot of things, our staff and I discuss a lot of things, we discuss a lot of things with our pro personnel and our college scouting department, so the lines of communication are open. There’s no thing that’s going to be my decision or his decision, or that guy’s decision or this guy’s decision. When we talk about players playing, Joe (DeCamillis) has a huge role in who’s going to be our returner. Now, is he going to make the decision? No. I’m going to get involved in that discussion, other people are going to get involved in that discussion, that’s just the way it works and we think that’s a good thing.

“Different people have different perspectives and insights, and then we come to a conclusion that we all think is good. We’ve never had any issues that way regarding personnel, or really any kind of decision that we have to make as an organization.”

Reaction score
Ultimately, after the talking is over, someone makes the final decision.

I know that many people think it is now Jerry. It could be, but I don't think that's entirely clear.

(and the fact that it isn't clear ... is also a problem)

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Proverbs 15:22 Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.

Reaction score
Jerry: "Jason makes the decisions around here, unless I don't like them"

Mid is right, though. What's even more baffling is that Garrett KNOWS how the place ran when they were winning Super Bowls, when Jimmy was there, and he saw the decline as Jerry forced his way in after time went on... and he still goes along with it. I don't understand it.

Reaction score
Haha gosh I loved that Parcells "FUCK OFF, JERRY" attitude. Jimmy had the same attitude also. Both coaches would have rather fished in the Keys than let Jerry dictate operations for the franchise.

As much as I hate Garrett, I definitely cannot blame him for doing whatever necessary to make Jerry comfortable and ensure his job security. That ginger is making millions to do something he loves, and he gets to do it with the most baller organization in all of sports. Why the hell would he compromise all that just to win a couple more games?

It's really only the fans who suffer here. I'm pretty sure that all of these guys are all very wealthy and very happy, regardless of how Doug Free performs on Sundays.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Honestly I don't see this one.

I don't think Jerry is telling Garrett who to play.

But it's a simple storyline for the likes of espn 103.3 to pump all day over and over.

I don't see it.

Reaction score
I don't think Jerry is telling Garrett who to play.

Maybe not who to play anymore, but he will tell Garrett who will be on this team. I think that's pretty obvious.

I just don't see Felix "stacking good days on top of good days" any more.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't see that either.

Stephen said the something's about Felix today that Jason did.

What's funny is if you watched bucs first kickoff from the giants it's the same thing as our fumble..

Poor blocking and a free guy on the backside knocked the ball out. Tampa just happened to recover.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I love this whole "We just make decisions as a big old happy group" mantra. Whatever. People have said time and time again Jerry makes the final decision.

Do any other owners (or even GMs) inject themselves this much?

Freddie

Practice Squad
Reaction score
“One of the things that I think we do a really good job of in this organization is we discuss things,” Garrett said. “The Joneses and I discuss a lot of things, our staff and I discuss a lot of things, we discuss a lot of things with our pro personnel and our college scouting department, so the lines of communication are open. There’s no thing that’s going to be my decision or his decision, or that guy’s decision or this guy’s decision. When we talk about players playing, Joe (DeCamillis) has a huge role in who’s going to be our returner. Now, is he going to make the decision? No. I’m going to get involved in that discussion, other people are going to get involved in that discussion, that’s just the way it works and we think that’s a good thing.

“Different people have different perspectives and insights, and then we come to a conclusion that we all think is good. We’ve never had any issues that way regarding personnel, or really any kind of decision that we have to make as an organization.”

Verifies everything I've ever said.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Honestly I don't see this one.

I don't see it.

I don't see that either.

people-the-blind-man-Clip-art.gif

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The fact that things are no one person's decision is fucking retarded.

What a blame shift that is. Let everyone have a say and nobody can really feel the heat of failure.

Why the fuck even hire a coach if he either, by design or by choice, has to collect the input from the rest of the staff and arrive at some sort of group decision? What's the point, you'd be better served hiring a secretary to schedule meetings and to collect the opinons of the staff.

If this is truly how the organization is run, it's a fucking mess. College scouts getting into the conversation? In everything? If no one person makes any decision, they must be a part of the board meeting. Maybe if these fuckers were less busy discussing shit they aren't hired to do they wouldn't produce drafts full of special team players or guys who serve as warm bodies for the majority of their contract before going elsewhere.

You hire guys to do specific jobs, why ask them to dabble in other shit?

Basically the HC in Dallas is just a spokesperson who stands at the podium. If he discusses and makes decisions with other random members of the staff, what role is truly his entirely?

But, since that is the model they should include a janitor so he can inform the rest of the group what shit looks like in an effort to never see it show up on the field again.

Mr X

Reaction score
It's really only the fans who suffer here. I'm pretty sure that all of these guys are all very wealthy and very happy, regardless of how Doug Free performs on Sundays.

Petty much.

The fans will always care way more than the entire organization.

And Garrett's statement only helps confirm he has no balls.

Top Bottom