Reaction score
Matt Johnson not ready for return yet
September, 18, 2012
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Jason Garrett calls the availability of safeties Gerald Sensabaugh and Barry Church as “day to day,” but the Cowboys are likely to be without Sensabaugh because of a right calf strain Sunday versus Tampa Bay.

Church has a bruised quadriceps and appears to be more hopeful, but it will be an issue.

The Cowboys are not looking at adding a safety to the 53-man roster or the practice squad just yet, and there’s hope that rookie Matt Johnson can get back on the field soon. But it doesn’t look like it will happen this week.

Johnson missed most of training camp with a hamstring injury and hurt his other hamstring on Aug. 25 versus St. Louis in the preseason. He has not practiced since.

“I’ve had tweaks in the past where they’d go away in a day,” Johnson said. “That’s what’s really frustrating. That’s what we’re trying to figure out why it’s happening.”

How?

“We’re looking at everything,” Johnson said. “Just past history, what I’m doing, what I’m eating, my daily diet, when I’m stretching if I shouldn’t stretching, doing enough stretching, yoga. Just everything to see what’s going on.”

So far the Cowboys' only answer is rest and rehab.

With only two safeties on the roster that are 100 percent healthy, Johnson has an urgency to return.

“Obviously two guys going down at safety and not knowing what they’re going to be doing this week, I’m trying to get back as fast as I can,” Johnson said. “But whatever (the medical staff) says, goes.”

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
I thought he was going to be our starting safety this year based on his youtube video

Reaction score
I thought he was going to be our starting safety this year based on his youtube video

This is usually how it happens.

You draft someone in the later rounds. You get hyped for them. You think they'll make plays and have an impact their rookie year.

But in reality, it's not until year three or so that you can start counting on them.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
This is usually how it happens.

You draft someone in the later rounds. You get hyped for them. You think they'll make plays and have an impact their rookie year.

But in reality, it's not until year three or so that you can start counting on them.

Than they play the third year and do pretty decent and cash in with our owner and come back down to earth and never live up to the contract but stay on the roster because the owner doesnt want to look foolish and admit mistake

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Jesus will return to judge the living and the dead before Johnson makes it to the field.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We should sign safety Chad Jones. Just for the PR bump alone. If that guy ever makes it back onto the field it is going to be made into a movie. Great kid, tragic story, and was a hell of a safety at LSU.

P.S. Before anyone freaks out..no way I'd sign him unless he passed all of the medical tests.

P.S.S. Matt Johnson blows.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
We should sign safety Chad Jones. Just for the PR bump alone. If that guy ever makes it back onto the field it is going to be made into a movie. Great kid, tragic story, and was a hell of a safety at LSU.

P.S. Before anyone freaks out..no way I'd sign him unless he passed all of the medical tests.

P.S.S. Matt Johnson blows.

I wouldn't be opposed to it... You know, if he passed all the tests and what not. But I'm 100% certain when he decides to play again he's going back with the Giants. I read an article before about how they treated him.. completely took care of him and still reach out throughout his continued rehab process. Even now that he isn't on the team they still consider him apart of it.

Top Bottom