Reaction score
NFC East: Most indispensable players

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Matt Mosley
ESPN.com

A team-by-team look at the most indispensable players (non-quarterbacks) in the division.

With the possible exception of the Eagles, I believe that every team in the division would be in big trouble if its starting quarterback went down, so obviously that position is indispensable. But for one blog post only, it's not all about the quarterback.

We've chosen four players whose presence on the field is essential to their team's success. In narrowing down my list, I tried to think of which players each team would have the most trouble replacing. The biggest second-guess might come with the Dallas Cowboys because you could make a strong argument for nose tackle Jay Ratliff being one of the most indispensable players in the division. Alas, I went in a different direction.

With 64.5 sacks the past five seasons, DeMarcus Ware is arguably the best pass-rusher in the league.

DALLAS COWBOYS: DEMARCUS WARE

With apologies to the Freeney and Allen camps, I believe Ware has become the most feared pass-rusher in the game. You take him off the field and the Cowboys lose a lot of their identity.

Ware's capable of putting up huge sack totals, but it's his ability to constantly draw double- and even triple-teams that puts him in an elite class. With Ware on the other side, Anthony Spencer is becoming one of the league's best pass-rushers.

Ware's willingness to sacrifice numbers to elevate his teammates is a huge part of his game. And he's one of the rare pass-rushers who also does an excellent job against the run. You could make an argument that he's the best defensive player in the league, and that makes him indispensable to the Cowboys.

NEW YORK GIANTS: JUSTIN TUCK

Starting to notice a trend here? I think Tuck is trying to replace Michael Strahan as the backbone of this unit. When Strahan retired after the Super Bowl win, Tuck wasn't quite ready to inherit the leadership void. But now that Antonio Pierce is no longer in the locker room, general manager Jerry Reese and Tom Coughlin have basically told Tuck that he must be The Man.

Last season, Flozell Adams reached out and tripped the Giants' defensive end in Week 2, leading to a painful shoulder injury. Because he was limited the rest of the season, Tuck didn't feel like he had the right to criticize his teammates.

Now that he's healthy, he will be the messenger for defensive coordinator Perry Fewell. Osi Umenyiora and Mathias Kiwanuka might have Tuck-like skills, but they don't have his credibility inside the organization. As Tuck goes, so go the Giants. In my book, that makes him indispensable.

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: DESEAN JACKSON

I believe Jackson is now the most dangerous player in the league. Whether it's on punt returns or crossing patterns, he constantly puts pressure on the other team.

Having a player who is that dangerous can cover up mistakes in other areas. The Eagles feel like they're never out of a game because of players such as Jackson and Jeremy Maclin. Jackson won't have as many catches as Maclin this season, but he'll find the end zone at least 12 times when you combine his punt returns and receiving touchdowns.

We all made a huge deal of Devin Hester a few years ago, but obviously Jackson is the more complete player. Someone pay this man so he can go on about his business.

WASHINGTON REDSKINS: BRIAN ORAKPO

In Orakpo, the Redskins have an elite pass-rusher who's learning how to separate quarterbacks from the ball.

What I love about Orakpo is his willingness to make changes. He's constantly in the film room studying offensive tackles and he doesn't want any of them to have a book on him. He has a wide array of counter moves and he's quickly embraced the concepts of Jim Haslett's 3-4. Here's what Orakpo told me during my recent visit to Ashburn, Va.:

"I'm always going forward in this defense" he said. "I want to be chasing the quarterback at all times, and this defense makes that possible."

In a division with some elite pass-rushers, Orakpo has refused to take a backseat to anyone. And I love his honesty. The Houston native grew up hating the Cowboys and he's taken it to the next level now that he's playing for their rival. Everyone wants to talk about Donovan McNabb this season, but if the Redskins are to make a playoff run, the defense must lead the way. Orakpo's the most indispensable member of that unit.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
WASHINGTON REDSKINS: BRIAN ORAKPO

In Orakpo, the Redskins have an elite pass-rusher who's learning how to separate quarterbacks from the ball.

What I love about Orakpo is his willingness to make changes. He's constantly in the film room studying offensive tackles and he doesn't want any of them to have a book on him. He has a wide array of counter moves and he's quickly embraced the concepts of Jim Haslett's 3-4. Here's what Orakpo told me during my recent visit to Ashburn, Va.:

"I'm always going forward in this defense" he said. "I want to be chasing the quarterback at all times, and this defense makes that possible."

In a division with some elite pass-rushers, Orakpo has refused to take a backseat to anyone. And I love his honesty. The Houston native grew up hating the Cowboys and he's taken it to the next level now that he's playing for their rival. Everyone wants to talk about Donovan McNabb this season, but if the Redskins are to make a playoff run, the defense must lead the way. Orakpo's the most indispensable member of that unit.

He's one-dimensional. He's pedestrian at best against the run, and even lousier in coverage, and these are things that a 3-4 OLB need to excel at, and not just pass rush. Yet Redskins' fans will claim that he is the "prototypical OLB"; I challanged them to explain/elaborate on this, and of course they could not, and it turned into namecalling. Ironically, they bash Blache in claiming that he didn't use Orakpo correctly but instead had in more in coverage and playing the run as opposed to rushing the passer, and yet Blache was the one that was trying to make him a more all-around OLB/football player. So now, Haslett will have him just rushing the passer, well one way to neautralize that is to dump off screen, especially against someone that is lousy against the run.

Interesting as to how nobody mentions as how Orakpo did not record a single sack against the division last year, and 4 of his 11 sacks came against Oakland.

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: DESEAN JACKSON

I believe Jackson is now the most dangerous player in the league. Whether it's on punt returns or crossing patterns, he constantly puts pressure on the other team.

Having a player who is that dangerous can cover up mistakes in other areas. The Eagles feel like they're never out of a game because of players such as Jackson and Jeremy Maclin. Jackson won't have as many catches as Maclin this season, but he'll find the end zone at least 12 times when you combine his punt returns and receiving touchdowns.

We all made a huge deal of Devin Hester a few years ago, but obviously Jackson is the more complete player. Someone pay this man so he can go on about his business.

Crossing patterns? I've seen nothing out of him but go routes. As for being the most dangerous player in the league... Jenkins and/or may have something to say about that.

Last edited:

sbk92

Reaction score
I would agree that Jackson is the most dangerous player in football.

Or at least tied with Chris Johnson. But I go Jackson because of his return ability.

C

Cr122

Or at least tied with Chris Johnson. But I go Jackson because of his return ability.

Between Chris Johnson and DeSean Jackson? Chris Johnson hands down.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

You jam Jackson at the LOS, and he's out of the play. That's hardly dangerous.

Reaction score
Peyton Manning. Drew Brees. Chris Johnson.

I'd consider those three to be far more dangerous than Jackson.

Top Bottom