Reaction score
Jerry Jones would like to see NFL expand regular season to 18 games
By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
10:36 am on September 7, 2012

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Friday that he would like to see the NFL play only two preseason games and expand the regular season to 18 games.

“I like that,” Jones said on 105.3 [KRLD-FM] The Ticket’s Elf and Slater show. “We really talked about it a lot in the negotiations with the players. The league had the right to do that with the consent of the players. Over the last television contracts, we all agreed that we would all agree to expand it if we did go to 18 and two preseason [games]. I’m for that.”

Jones added: “As far as the NFL is concerned, I think it’s a real positive. We want to show how good the NFL and this new CBA, or labor agreement, how we’re doing relative to injury. That’s a factor here. Do you get more chance of injury in 18 games than you do in 16 [regular season games] with four preseason [games]? The facts are that you could make a case that there’s less exposure to injury. Although, they wouldn’t buy that. But it could be because there’s less two-a-days and less work in the games. The preseason games are played by [many] people that don’t make the team.

“I can give you a lot of reasons why I think it’s good for the NFL. I really think it’s good for the players. I know it’s great for the fans. I hope we can work to do that.”

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday that having four preseason games is an “issue” for the league and reducing the number is being evaluated.

“One, you have a question whether we really need it to put on the best quality product,” Goodell said, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. “Two, you have an issue of how our fans are reacting to it, and they’re not reacting positively. It’s not the kind of standard that the NFL is used to producing.”

Jones added on Friday that Jason Garrett and his coaching staff might not be in favor of the move.

“Coaches have a tough time with that because they want that time in game-type conditions to put in their offense and put their team together,” Jones said. “So, that’s an issue there.”

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ugghhh.. I agree. 18 games is better. 2 less preseason games. I hate agreeing with Jerry Jones.

Reaction score
Would be one of the dumbest decisions ever. The players union should never accept that proposal.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Well, it's a little bit broken. That happens when a dumbass like Goodell gets sworn in, then wants to put his fingerprints all over the game.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Pre-season games costing as much as reg season gamees: greed
18-game sked: greed
Moving the NFL Draft to primetime: greed
Thursday Night Football on cable only: greed
Super Bowls no longer played in daylight: greed

and so on

Reaction score
If they really wanna make a change, move the Super Bowl to Saturday so that people can get lit up on a non-school night.

Reaction score
1. Pre-season games costing as much as reg season gamees: greed(agreed)
18-game sked: greed(also more meaningful games)
Moving the NFL Draft to primetime: greed(they also shortened the clock(sped up the broadcast). Fan service if you ask me)
Thursday Night Football on cable only: greed(you'd only see it with directtv anyway)
Super Bowls no longer played in daylight: greed(stop talkin to empty chairs)

I agree with my proposal. 2 preseason games/17 regular season games. An extra bye-week and 7 playoff teams and only the top seed gets a bye.

They're gonna need the extra bye-weeks for travel and playoff spots when the London Sillynannies are formed

Reaction score
BB must be pushing 80 years old if primetime NFL programming is affecting his life.

Country Buffet closed cuz the game went to OT. Sonuvabitch

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
BB must be pushing 80 years old if primetime NFL programming is affecting his life.

Country Buffet closed cuz the game went to OT. Sonuvabitch

Not age but rather location. Games/events pushed back later and later can be brutal on Eastern Time Zone dwellers like myself.

Reaction score
Not age but rather location. Games/events pushed back later and later can be brutal on Eastern Time Zone dwellers like myself.

Super Bowl kickoff is at like 630.

Makes sense for lots of NBA and even SNF games that go slow, but definitely does not apply to the Super Bowl.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Super Bowl kickoff is at like 630.

Makes sense for lots of NBA and even SNF games that go slow, but definitely does not apply to the Super Bowl.

Fine, but it's still an example of "greed." Later hours = higher ratings = greater advertising revenue.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
BTW, you know this will eventually happen, because the players will get more money out of it, too.

I see the rules continuing to make the game softer to compensate for more games. Eventually it'll be 18 games of flag football, but hey, as long as the money pile keeps growing, the owners and Goodell won't care.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
hate the idea...have hated it since the day they mentioned it the first time

teams can barely survive the 16 games as is...

Top Bottom