Reaction score
DeMarcus Ware Thought About Retirement In 2009 After Neck Injury
Submitted by Syndicated sources on September 1, 2012 - 7:00am

DeMarcus Ware is on his way to being one of the top sack masters the NFL has ever seen.

That realization was almost derailed by a neck injury suffered in 2009 against the San Diego Chargers.

During a recent interview with GQ magazine, Ware came clean about his fears from that fateful night.

“You never think that you’ll be the guy who’s on the stretcher. It’s usually a special teams guy, because they have those big impact hits. But the guys on offense and defense, we don’t have enough speed built up to have that impact. When I went down, everything just stopped. I thought, “Why am I here?” I actually thought that my body was moving. I thought I was moving my arms, I thought I was moving my legs. But I wasn’t. I couldn’t move. Mentally, I was moving. But physically, I wasn’t. I’m sitting there, just thinking. I was thinking, “I’m that guy.” Everyone was watching me, just lying there, unable to do anything. I felt embarrassed, actually. They strapped me up, and I wasn’t able to move my neck or arms or legs, but I said, “I’m alright. I’m alright.” Then it finally hit me when they took my facemask off. When they took that facemask off, they took something out of me.”

“I was so scared. I started thinking about my family. I thought, ‘I might have to give football up.’”

“I really thought I might have to retire, because I just couldn’t imagine going through something so traumatic again.”

Ware never missed a game and went out the next week and had a pretty amazing game in a win against the then undefeated New Orleans Saints.

That was 3 years ago.

The all-time sack record is still attainable.

63echo

Reaction score
I'll never forget that game (and the game after). As a fan, that was some scary shit...I can't imagine how it was for him.

Top Bottom