cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
For those of you who were sick of my unheathly mancrush on David DeCastro last year, avert your eyes. This thread will be filled with articles, updates, and thopughts on my number one 2013 draft target, LSU's Eric Reid.

Much like DeCastro, I'm riding this one til the wheels fall off.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...n-eric-reid-headlines-college-defensive-backs

Top underclassmen: Eric Reid headlines college defensive backs
By Chad Reuter Draft analyst
Published: Aug. 26, 2012 at 06:00 p.m. Updated: Aug. 30, 2012 at 05:38 p.m.

0ap1000000055002.jpg

LSU has been churning out quality defensive backs of late, and safety Eric Reid boasts an enticing skill set.

Safeties
Eric Reid
College: LSU
Height: 6-2 Weight: 208

It was a no-brainer for Reid, a highly touted national recruit with an excellent academic record, to commit to LSU. His father is in the school's Athletic Hall of Fame as an All-American hurdler, winning the NCAA championship in the 110-meter hurdles as a senior in 1987. Eric Reid Sr. still works on the LSU campus, so his son got to know the facilities and team's coaches quite well growing up.

That familiarity bred early success for Reid, as he played in all 13 games as a freshman in 2010, logged crucial playing time against Alabama (six tackles, one for loss) and started the final three regular season games. And though he didn't start the team's bowl win over Texas A&M, he still came through with seven stops and an interception. As a sophomore, Reid started all 12 games in which he played, leaving the Ole Miss game and missing the Arkansas contest with a thigh injury. His 76 tackles (a team high), two interceptions, three pass breakups and two forced fumbles earned him second-team All-SEC honors from league media. He was also named FWAA/Nagurski National and SEC Defensive Player of the Week for his effort against Alabama (six tackles, forced fumble, fourth-quarter interception) in the Tigers' regular-season win in Tuscaloosa.

Strengths: Tall, long safety with a solid overall build that is still getting stronger. All-around defender who can play the run and pass. Flashes excellent closing speed, pummels receivers after the catch when coming downhill and can sniff out a play after the snap and get into the backfield. Has length and attitude to wrap up ball carriers in the open field. Brings power into cut tackles, lowering his shoulder to stop running backs cold. Also lays the wood over the middle, putting a shoulder into the midsection of receivers. Gets physical with receivers attempting to block him in the run game. Has athleticism to handle tight ends in the passing game. Possesses the height, vertical leap and competitive nature to win jump balls. Good enough hands to take advantage of poor throws, will undercut receivers and can catch the ball away from his frame.

Weaknesses: Gets overaggressive at times; will jump on short crossers, opening up the back half of the field, and overrun stretch plays to allow cutback lanes. Not a consistently powerful tackler, and will lunge and miss in the open field, as he often fails to break down quickly. Recovery speed will be questioned; might be tough for him to catch NFL receivers if he takes a false step or attempts to aid a teammate. Had shoulder surgery after his junior season in high school, though it hasn't hurt him in college.

NFL comparison: Mark Barron

Bottom line: The next SEC safety creating a buzz in the scouting community, Reid brings the size, athleticism, intelligence and toughness to become an impact player in coverage and against the run at the next level.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/8/31/3282407/2013-nfl-draft-safety-rankings-eric-reid

2013 NFL Draft safety rankings: Decent class features depth led by Eric Reid of LSU
by Dan Kadar on Aug 31, 2012 10:45 AM EDT in 2013 NFL Draft

131562263_extra_large.jpg

The safety class for next year's NFL Draft is once again pretty average. Last year, the standout was obviously Mark Barron, but five safeties were taken in the first three rounds of the draft. That number should go increase in 2013, but maybe not by much.

If there is a player who can develop into a high pick like Barron, it's LSU's Eric Reid. He's a physical presence in the secondary and a leader of the team's defense. Tony Jefferson of Oklahoma could find himself in the first round range as well. He's a good all-around safety and Oklahoma likes to let him freelance all over the field.

The senior crop was boosted when T.J. McDonald decided to come back to Southern California. He's solid across the board. The same can be said for Kenny Vaccaro of Texas. If there's one ballhawk safety in this class, it's Bacarri Rambo of Georgia. In 2011, he had eight interceptions and has 13 on his career. Find the full safety rankings after the jump.

SENIORS
1. T.J. McDonald | 6'3, 205 pounds | Safety | Southern California
2. Kenny Vaccaro | 6'1, 215 pounds | Safety | Texas
3. Robert Lester | 6'2, 210 pounds | Safety | Alabama
4. Bacarri Rambo | 6'0, 218 pounds | Safety | Georgia
5. D.J. Swearinger | 6'0, 212 pounds | Safety | South Carolina
6. John Boyett | 5'10, 205 pounds | Safety | Oregon
7. DeVonte Holloman | 6'2, 232 pounds | Safety | South Carolina
8. Shawn Williams | 6'1, 217 pounds | Safety | Georgia
9. Vaughn Telemaque | 6'2, 200 pounds | Safety | Miami
10. Drew Frey | 6'3, 212 pounds | Safety | Cincinnati

JUNIORS
1. Eric Reid | 6'2, 208 pounds | Safety | LSU *
2. Tony Jefferson | 5'10, 212 pounds | Safety | Oklahoma *
3. Matt Elam | 5'10, 202 pounds | Safety | Florida *
4. CJ Barnett | 6'0, 202 pounds | Safety | Ohio State *

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Week 1 Stat Line

LSU 44, North Texas 14

Erc Reid - 3 solo tackles, 4 assists, 7 total tackles. 1 INT, 1 Pass BrkUp

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
so unless we have a shitty year no way we can draft this guy right?

so fuck off cmd

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
so unless we have a shitty year no way we can draft this guy right?

so fuck off cmd

Nice.

This is a sold safety class this year and he is the best of the bunch IMO. I see us with a similar record as last year so drafting him is not unrealistic.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
we wont be taking a safety with our first pick...

we'll be drafting a shit ton of OL's though

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
we wont be taking a safety with our first pick...

we'll be drafting a shit ton of OL's though

Wouldn't mind that at all but I don't like the overall OL depth in the 2013 draft (yet). This is a great year for Safeties and Pass Rushers.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Reid is definitely a very good prospect, but after drafting Claiborne and signing Carr for what we did this year, I think they'll target other areas next year.

If Spencer and Butler are both gone after this year (certainly a possibility) then pass rushing OLB could easily move to the top of the list, and I agree with you that next years draft looks stacked for 3-4 OLB prospects. I do like Kyle Wilbur's potential though.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Week 2 Stat Line

LSU 41, Washington 3

Erc Reid - 1 solo tackle, 1 assist, 2 total tackles. 1 Pass BrkUp

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah statement game from USC sneaking past juggernaut Syracuse.

Every year there are going to be some ugly wins. I just have to hope that was it for us. Stanford is probably going to try to smash us in the mouth this week and ground out the game, keep the offense off the field. I'll be there in person and I have crap for luck the past few games I've attended.

My point to Glory was because of our recent Pac12/Big10 debate. Then Oregon State beats Wisconsin and UCLA beats Nebraska.

Top Bottom