C

Cr122

Archer: Cowboys' Class of 2003 sets sights on reaching the ultimate goal

01:11 AM CDT on Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Column by TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News | tarcher@dallasnews.com

Todd Archer
Archive | E-mail
08-25-2010.15502919-NS_18Draft2003Two.GSF2SAVMU.1.jpg

OXNARD, Calif . – There were only two people on the shuttle bus from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport to the local hotel back in early May 2003.

[Click image for a larger version] MICHAEL AINSWORTH/DMN
MICHAEL AINSWORTH/DMN
The Cowboys' foundation of (from left) Terence Newman, Bradie James , Jason Witten and Tony Romo say their connection goes beyond football. They've been through a lot together.

"There was this big goofy guy next to me," Tony Romo said.

It was Jason Witten.

"He was like, 'I play quarterback. They brought me in as a free agent,' " said Witten, who was a third-round pick that spring. "He didn't know who I was and I didn't know who he was. You can imagine the anxiety between two guys when you're just trying to survive."

That weekend they joined Terence Newman and Bradie James for their first rookie minicamp in Bill Parcells' first on-field test as the Cowboys' head coach.

Eight seasons later, Romo, Witten, Newman and James help form the core of a team hoping to deliver the franchise's sixth Super Bowl trophy. Over the years they have experienced the highs of the surprise playoff appearance as rookies, two NFC East titles and a playoff victory, and lows, such as the devastating wild-card loss at Seattle and numbing defeat to the New York Giants in the 2007 divisional round.

They have achieved much personally, too. Witten has played in six Pro Bowls. Romo has been in three. Newman has been in two. James has been a team captain the last three seasons and led the Cowboys in tackles the last five seasons.

"We have our own special bond as opposed to some other guys because we came in together," James said. "We've been in a couple of regimes. We've changed schemes. We've all had success and we embody that together."

In a way, they are a throwback to another generation of football where teams and players stayed together for years.

Free agency has created an itinerant existence across the NFL but these four have endured and succeeded in a time when careers last on average just three years.

In fact, this is the first time since 1975 that the Cowboys have four players from the same class remain teammates at least eight seasons. Randy White, Bob Breunig, Pat Donovan and Herb Scott, part of the Dirty Dozen, were teammates for nine years.

The Class of '83 produced three players to last at least 12 seasons in Jim Jeffcoat , Bill Bates and Mark Tuinei. In 1989, Troy Aikman, Daryl Johnston and Tony Tolbert were together through 1997.

"It's not all about football," Newman said. "We've seen each other grow and mature from young men to men. It's cool to see the maturation process and experience it with them at the same time."

Witten was married before the draft, but he has two boys, C.J. and Cooper. James is married and has a child on the way. Newman and James were roommates for road trips in their first five seasons. Same with Romo and Witten.

After their rookie season, Romo lived for a time at Newman's Trophy Club home. James (LSU) and Witten (Tennessee ) played against each other in college and share the same agent, Jimmy Sexton. Newman played against Eastern Illinois (Romo) and Tennessee while at Kansas State.

Newman started from the day the Cowboys took him with the fifth overall pick. Witten became a starter in his second year, catching 87 passes. James has started 80 straight games at inside linebacker since 2005. Romo was the last to become a starter, taking over in 2006 and leading the Cowboys to the playoffs in three of the last four seasons.

The biggest goal remains: the Super Bowl.

"The journey is what I think people remember, when you look back you can really appreciate that," Romo said. "That's what makes the memories. I won't be able to tell you about it until hopefully we achieve that one day, but I know the memories are made in a lot of different ways and they're everlasting and will stand the test of time when you're a champion. And that's the ultimate goal, no question, but my fondness for Jason, Terence and Bradie won't change either way."

The Class of 2003

Terence Newman, Kansas State – first round (5th overall) – Played in two Pro Bowls (2007, '09) and has 23 career interceptions

Jason Witten, Tennessee – third round (69th overall) – One of six tight ends in NFL history with multiple 1,000-yard receiving seasons and a six-time Pro Bowler

Bradie James, LSU – fourth round (103rd overall) – Has led the Cowboys in tackles each of the last five seasons, including a career-high 202 in 2008

Tony Romo, Eastern Illinois – undrafted – Owns the franchise record for yards (4,483) and touchdowns (36) in a season and has played in three Pro Bowls

Forming a bond

Class of 1975

Randy White – 1975-88

Bob Breunig – 1975-84

Pat Donovan – 1975-83

Herb Scott – 1975-1984

Class of 2003

Terence Newman – 2003-present

Jason Witten – 2003-present

Bradie James – 2003-present

Tony Romo – 2003-present

Class of 1983